CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Gluten Free on Princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/379411-gluten-free-princess.html)

lovepumpkin January 12th, 2011 09:47 AM

Gluten Free on Princess

I am going on a Princess cruise in May and I'm starting to think about all the things I need to do before we go (I'm a little excited if you couldn't tell!). I know that one of the things I need to do is send (fax) a letter to Princess telling them that I cannot eat gluten. I was just wondering if anyone has had to do this before and what kind of information I need to provide. I plan on giving them my name, the cruise I'm going on, and of course that I am gluten free, but I'm wondering if I need to give them more information. Thanks in advance for your help!

Lakers Fan January 12th, 2011 11:23 AM

I am on a gluten free diet .However ,I am on medication that I shall be on forever .My GI believes that if I stay on my medication I can eat anything .At home I follow my diet ,however on my recent cruise I ate everything except chocolate and I was fine .

LisaK January 13th, 2011 10:03 AM

once you board the ship, head down to the main dining room, seek out the Maitre D, give him your dining information and then tell him your diet restrictions, and also mention it to the senior waiter on your wait team

MercedMike January 13th, 2011 12:20 PM

Notification

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1342193)
once you board the ship, head down to the main dining room, seek out the Maitre D, give him your dining information and then tell him your diet restrictions, and also mention it to the senior waiter on your wait team

Yes, but FIRST, have your travel agent notify ship's services at least 6 weeks in advance, and get a written confirmation!

THEN, follow the advice above once you board the ship.

Any dietary restrictions should always be given advance notice, and then confirmed on boarding. Just walking in and announcing it may create problems.

Bruce Chafkin1 January 15th, 2011 09:10 AM

A great many North Americans are on gluten free diets.
If you are sailing on a Grand Class Ship, approximately 300 - 500 of your fellow cruisers will also be requesting a gluten free diet.
The cruise lines are very familiar with this as they do it every week of the year.
Be sure to notify and remind your waiter and Maitre d'.

Kuki January 15th, 2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1342712)
A great many North Americans are on gluten free diets.
If you are sailing on a Grand Class Ship, approximately 300 - 500 of your fellow cruisers will also be requesting a gluten free diet.
The cruise lines are very familiar with this as they do it every week of the year.
Be sure to notify and remind your waiter and Maitre d'.

Bruce... thanks so much for that information. I had no idea that condition was that common.

worthew8 January 15th, 2011 03:53 PM

Online is also an option

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovepumpkin (Post 1341902)
I am going on a Princess cruise in May and I'm starting to think about all the things I need to do before we go (I'm a little excited if you couldn't tell!). I know that one of the things I need to do is send (fax) a letter to Princess telling them that I cannot eat gluten. I was just wondering if anyone has had to do this before and what kind of information I need to provide. I plan on giving them my name, the cruise I'm going on, and of course that I am gluten free, but I'm wondering if I need to give them more information. Thanks in advance for your help!

Why not register with Princess online?

https://book.princess.com/captaincir...ionStepOne.jsp

You can choose to alert Princess of your diet needs from their website, along with other needs and preferences.

Good Luck.

Lakers Fan January 15th, 2011 04:37 PM

Gluten Free

People suffering from Crohn's disease ,colitis ,ulcertaive colitis ,irritable bowel syndrome and many other similiar illnesses should be on gluten free diets .

My gastroenterologist is of the belief that if his patients are on medication continously (for me its 6 pills a day) you can go off your gluten free diet occasionally .I eat whatever I desire on vacation (except for chocolate and dairy products)and I've never had a problem .

lovepumpkin March 5th, 2011 05:50 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice! I sent off an email to my travel agent and she said that they had received the information and everything should be all set! That was easy! Thank you LisaK and Mike also for the advice on going to the Maitre D. I'll make sure to do that once I get on the ship. Here's hoping it all works out!