Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default Internet access

We are going on our FIRST cruise in a couple of weeks and I think I saw that the Ruby has some Internet communication options. I would like to be able to check our email occasionally. Can any of you folks let me know if they have either wi-fi or a data port in the cabins or an internet access in a business center for while we are on board? I don't plan to spend valuable vacation time on line but would like to have some communication with family at home.
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Captain

Hi Sparrow,

First of all, welcome to cruisemates.

While I have not yet cruised on the Ruby Princess, all of the Princess ships that I have sailed on have had an Internet Cafe. There are usually 15-20 computers available. We have never had to wait to use the Internet. The speed is slower than what you are used to, if you have a high speed Internet at home. There are Internet packages that you can purchase.

Last year I Just threw out my eight track, so I can't comment on the Wi-Fi connections, but I believe that they are offered. Perhaps some other posters could chime in about Wi-Fi on Princess.

If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to ask. We have a lot of seasoned cruisers on this board who can answer just about any question that you may have.

Enjoy your cruise and have a great time.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Almost every port that you will visit has an Internet Cafe .You can find a complete listing on line .
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Familiar Face

Thumbs up

Most of the internet at sea is provided by MTN and is usually wifi from your cabin. A whole lot slower and more expensive than your home broadband but pretty cool to use while on a cruise.

Here is a breakdown of the prices:Communications : Princess Cruises
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Familiar Face

Frankly, if I can be sure there is a cafe on board, I would rather not take the laptop. As I mentioned we primarily want to be able to check email from time to time. Thanks for the information!
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can also use this connection to check-in with the airline 24 hours before your flight. Do so early as everyone else will be trying to do the same thing in that time window.
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
First Mate

On our last Princess trip I tried using the "free" ecard option that Princess has recently introduced & sent myself 2 emails as a test. After arriving home I never received them. Has anyone used this new option and did it work for you ?
If so it would be a great way of sending short email messages for free when they get the bugs out of the system.
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM
First Mate

Default Ruby has internet cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow5181 View Post
Frankly, if I can be sure there is a cafe on board, I would rather not take the laptop. As I mentioned we primarily want to be able to check email from time to time. Thanks for the information!
Ruby Princess Activities : Princess Cruises

Says so right here. And yes, I have used wifi in all the cabins I've booked with Princess.

Have fun!

Old January 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Adams View Post
Most of the internet at sea is provided by MTN and is usually wifi from your cabin. A whole lot slower and more expensive than your home broadband but pretty cool to use while on a cruise.

Here is a breakdown of the prices:Communications : Princess Cruises
Am I correct in thiniking this is for the Wi-Fi usage? Does anyone know what the rates are for time in the Internet Cafe? I realy appreciate all the feed back on this.
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Internet charges

Bear in mind that this situation is constantly changing. Any rate anybody reports today may change next week on the next cruise!

By and large, most ships on most of the major cruise lines offer an internet cafe and also wireless access near the cafe and in certain other areas on some decks. Many ships now offer plug in or wireless access in all cabins. Mostly, the charges are the same either way and run close to $1 a minute!

There are many ins and outs. Be sure to check carefully the charges for any particular way you plan to use the internet. For example, the free internet use for Princess Elite pax applied only to the cafe, not to wireless at one time. I think that has changed now. It may change again next week!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:29 AM
First Mate

The ships we have sailed on have the Internet Cafe. It may be much slower than you have at home, but you will be able to access your e-mail at anytime. You can buy the amount of minutes that you feel you will use. It's a good deal. Have a great trip.
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

OK, just so I have this correct...

They charge for internet usage even in the internet cafe, you just use their computers?
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilb View Post
OK, just so I have this correct...

They charge for internet usage even in the internet cafe, you just use their computers?
Yes.

On most ships we have been on, the charge per minute is the same on their computer or on your computer.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html