Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default Another Newbie question

I've started packing and prefer to pack as light as possible for any travel. We will be on The Ruby. I understand that a power strip is suggested as outlets maybe minimal in the cabins. I assume they do provide hair dryers as in any modern hotel room? Sun screen, sweaters & sunglasses I know we will need. How about insect repellant for shore excursions? Any other items we shouldn't leave home without? (I know, the American Express Card!) Anything for sure that people bring and don't need?
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I always bring a travel hair dryer, because of finding broken or one of less strength then I prefer..this way, I am covered.

Make sure your power strip is in pristene condition, and, for repellent, I would say, if you are doing any excursion that could take you into a woody area, for hiking etc, or if you do a rain forest excursion.

Have fun!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Neighbors of ours are cruising on the Ruby soon,enjoy your cruise.
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Admiral

An old joke but half the clothes & twice the money is a start.
Old January 16th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would also take a small travel flashlight, comes in very handy during the night, those cabins can be super dark...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Admiral

i bring a travel hairdryer, because with my hair, it would take me about an hour to dry my hair with the hairdryer thats in the cabin, unless you have multiple electrical appliances that you need to plug in, you might be able to do without the powerstrip. Inset repellent isn't necessary unless you are going into the woods, jungle or forest. Bring basic first aid essentials - bandaids, neosporin, anti-itch cream, otc pain killer, antihistimine(like benadryl), ALOE VERA BURN JEL W/LIDOCAINE - most people don't think about this, but if you get a sunburn, you will really, really want this stuff, keep it in your stateroom fridge, it feels so ahhhh on a hot sunburn
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always bring my small hair dryer and an extension cord. It's not more outlets that I need, it's more distance from the socket. Bring hand cream. All the hand sanitizing dries out your hands something awful.
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Familiar Face

Default Yet another question... Lunch and breakfast dining/drinks???

Ok, the packing is coming along ok. Thanks for your ideas on this.

Now I have some more questions.
1. We have signed up for Traditional Dining. My question is this. For breakfasts and lunches do we use only the Main dining room or are we free to use the anytime dining venue? I assume any of the 24 hr venues are for use at all times by all passaagners.
2. We would enjoy a drink in the afternoon on our balcony. I understand room service is available for individual drinks. Are the drink prices comparable to what one would pay when going out far a casual evening?
I see they also have a duty free store on board that sells liquer as well. Just out of curiosity, are the prices there in line with what we might pay in a state liquer store or highly inflated? Thanks for the info!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Your traditional dinning is just for dinner. You can eat anywhere including the dinning room for both breakfast and lunch. The buffet is also open as other places as well...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Plus, even though you have signed up for traditional dining you are still free to take dinner in one of the other dining rooms if it meets your schedule. If you are going to do this it would be a courtesy to let one of your dining partners know you will be skipping.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Better yet, if you know the evening before that you will be dinning some where else the following one, let your wait staff know too, they also appreciate that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Familiar Face

Thumbs up

We really like our little Belkin Surge Suppressor with two USB ports. This allowed us to charge our iDevices as well as laptop and camera batteries. Comes in handy!
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Admiral

you can eat anywhere for breakfast & lunch, Horizon Court has a good breakfast & lunch,you can order room service breakfast also, that what we usually do, we order a little something like juice, pastry & tea to have out on our balcony to get our day started then we head out to Horizon Court for a full breakfast. As for drinks, expect to pay what you would at home at a good restaurant, FYI room service can take awhile , we have found it easier sometimes just to go to one of the bars get our drinks and bring them back to the cabin to enjoy. The prices in the liquor store on board are ok, just note that you will not be able to take your liquor purchase back to your cabin, they will hold it for you until the last night of the cruise, you can probably get it cheaper at a duty-free shop on the island, but again, the cruise line will hold your liquor purchase until the end of the cruise
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

You certainly need to bring a good hairdryer since those in staterooms are very, well basic !
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Wink Regarding the prices of drinks

I've been cruising the Crown Princess last week (15-22 jan 2011) and at most bars from 8 pm until closing, there are some drink options at 3,99$ ! FYI, martinis and champagne cocktails are 6,95$, glasses of wine start at 6,50$, wine bottles at 22,00$.

Happy cruisin' !
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Plus, even though you have signed up for traditional dining you are still free to take dinner in one of the other dining rooms if it meets your schedule. If you are going to do this it would be a courtesy to let one of your dining partners know you will be skipping.
If they're signed up for traditional dining it's not allowed to switch into the anytime dining room anytime they please. It takes up twice the amount of dining space & slows down dining for the anytime diners. Of course they could always go to the Specialty restaurants or Horizon and eat there anytime they please. You can switch to anytime dining but once you do its a permanent switch for the rest of the trip.
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Oh - okay - I guess I didn't do that when another event on the ship interfered with my scheduled dining time.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014