Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Familiar Face

Question Crown Princess April 23 to the Caribbean

As you can see this is my 1st post here, I was reading and reading but then decided to register and ask a couple Qs.

Wife and I going on 1st cruise April 23 to the western Caribbean on the Crown.
Purchased through Costco Travel last week (good prices) and saw that Princess already assigned us a cabin.

We purchased balcony category BF and were assigned an upgraded category BA on the Caribe deck-10, room C319.

I also see that deck-15 Lido has rooms with the same category BA.
Wondering if Lido deck-15 (higher deck) is a much better deck than the Caribe-10 (lower deck).

Thanks much,
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would prefer the Caribe deck, rather then go higher..generally a smoother ride. Have a great cruise!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Caribe has the deeper balcony. Lido is close to Horizon Court (the buffet). It's a wash but I choose Caribe when I was on the Grand Princess.
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Familiar Face

thanks guys for the quick posts.

One more question, I was reading around and see that they will allow you to bring wine into the cruise but if you bring it into the restaurants there's a $15 charge, which I'm ok with.

Should I assume you cannot have your own drinks around the pool area (aside from the ones you buy), unless you disguise it ......

I'm also trying to find any videos of the Caribe deck and its Balcony, checking youtube but if there's a link you can share please do so.

Lastly, how many nights you must wear formal (jacket and tie) ? I heard the Captain's night is one that everyone must wear nice but not sure if there's any other nights requiring non-casual clothing. I want to have an idea of what to pack....cannot wait for my 1st experience....!!
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Caribe deck balcony 3 pictures from cruises photos on webshots caribe balcony..there are other shots too..

Ther are 2 formal nights....if you prefer, you can use alternative dining, sans tie

Old March 4th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Familiar Face

thanks Trip, looks like a nice decent size balcony, i couldn't see the other pictures because i don't have an account on that site, but saw the first picture, thanks.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Gee. I was able to see them all.. I will post another for you..

Old March 4th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Old March 14th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Caribe deck... you came out good on that "guarantee" location ! I was on the Crown in Feb..... nice ship, my boiggest complaint was the passenger flow in the Horizon Court buffet food area...... things just unorganized as to what should be besides one another i.e. bread in one area, but butter in another area...salad in one area...dressing in another area....very congested and confusing.

Ship is gorgeous and I think you will be impressed with all she has to offer including that great balcony ! If you can swing it, book an Ultimate Balcony Dining experience.... well worth the $50.00 p/p cost !!!

Have a GREAT CRUISE and I hope you are able to stop in Roatan... that port is missed alot due to the high winds and narrow slot to slip the ship into. We were unable to stop there due to high winds and sea conditions... was disappointed to say the least and another sea day was added..... : (

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Caribe is our deck of choice, we always try to get our stateroom on Caribe, our second choice would be Dolphin deck.
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Admiral

if you want to drink your wine in your cabin just ask your cabin steward for a corkscrew and extra glassess
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:26 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek2330 View Post
thanks guys for the quick posts.

One more question, I was reading around and see that they will allow you to bring wine into the cruise but if you bring it into the restaurants there's a $15 charge, which I'm ok with.

There's no charge if you carry a glass full from your cabin to the table at dinner time.

Should I assume you cannot have your own drinks around the pool area (aside from the ones you buy), unless you disguise it ......

Not at all. Just bring you own mug from home & fill it up before leaving your cabin with whatever or fill up on OJ before they shut down the Horizon for breakfast. No one will look twice & no hiding necessary.

I'm also trying to find any videos of the Caribe deck and its Balcony, checking youtube but if there's a link you can share please do so.

I don't have a video but the Caribe deck is one of the best offering more balcony space & most importantly a chair that reclines. The other decks are all straight back chairs.

Lastly, how many nights you must wear formal (jacket and tie) ? I heard the Captain's night is one that everyone must wear nice but not sure if there's any other nights requiring non-casual clothing. I want to have an idea of what to pack....cannot wait for my 1st experience....!!
The clothing thing is usually blown out of proportion to what actually occurs on the ships. On formal night most people will dress for dinner with a jacket but if you have on a long sleeve dress shirt with dress pants, it will suffice (tie optional). After dinner most people go back to the cabin to change immediately into something more comfortable for the shows although there are some who remain dressed for the evening. On casual evenings just about anything goes with the exception of shorts in the dining room. Jeans, Dockers, Polo shirts & even T shirts will be seen. Don't sweat it.
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Admiral

On Princess 7 day cruise you will have 2 formal nights the Captain's Gala Welcome Aboard night is the night that most people will get dressed to the"nines" my dh wears a dark suit and i wear a sparkly dressy cocktail dress, there are activities after dinner on both formal nights that you might want to stay dressed up for, especially the midnight champagne waterfall party. The remaining nights are smart-casual with the vast majority of men opting for dockers type pants/polo or hawaiian shirts, and for the ladies, my personal fav is just throwing on a sundress and a pair of casual sandals or kitten heels, nice capris are fine as is a skirt/top,trousers/blouse
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks to all of you, good info, cannot wait for April 23..!!
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
On Princess 7 day cruise you will have 2 formal nights the Captain's Gala Welcome Aboard night is the night that most people will get dressed to the"nines" my dh wears a dark suit and i wear a sparkly dressy cocktail dress, there are activities after dinner on both formal nights that you might want to stay dressed up for, especially the midnight champagne waterfall party. The remaining nights are smart-casual with the vast majority of men opting for dockers type pants/polo or hawaiian shirts, and for the ladies, my personal fav is just throwing on a sundress and a pair of casual sandals or kitten heels, nice capris are fine as is a skirt/top,trousers/blouse
The champagne waterfall has been reassigned to an earlier time. It's usually scheduled between the first & second TD dining times.
Old April 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I just got back from crown princess yesturday, deck 15 is probably the busiest deck so it might be the loudest of all of them. If you won't mind being close to all the action and the noise though it is the most convenient probably but personally I would stay on 10. This was my first cruise and I am in love with this ship, have fun!!

If you get a chance to talk to CJ the DJ can you ask him his last name, I am trying to contact him, thanks and have fun!
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanymj View Post
I just got back from crown princess yesturday, deck 15 is probably the busiest deck so it might be the loudest of all of them. If you won't mind being close to all the action and the noise though it is the most convenient probably but personally I would stay on 10. This was my first cruise and I am in love with this ship, have fun!!

If you get a chance to talk to CJ the DJ can you ask him his last name, I am trying to contact him, thanks and have fun!
ok, i will try to remember and ask him.

Did you go to the western caribbean? If so, what island was the best, pros and cons and any recommendations about the different places?
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks so much!

Roatan was my favourite place, it is sooo gorgeous!! I would highly recommend the zip lining there..it isn't an excursion that is done with the ship but just ask where it is once you get off and somone will point you in the right direction..it's only $40! Make sure you snorkel in the Bahamas.. the fish will come right up to you and it is right off the shore! You will have a great time!
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Familiar Face

thanks for the tips Brittany.
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Familiar Face

brittany, the DJ is "dj Shayne C", his name is Shayne Conway. He has a web page at shaynec.com

I kept in mind you wanted this info so i asked him.

Hope that helps
Old April 30th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks so much for your help!!very much appreciated! Did you have a great time?
Old April 30th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Familiar Face

It was SUPER...!!!!
Already planning for my next one......