Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Ruby Princess

We were married on the Ruby Princess on March 13th. First I must say the cruiseline did a outstanding job on the wedding, if anyone is looking to do a destination wedding this is the way to go.

The cruise itself well I must say the staff for the most part was less than friendly, with the exception of the cabin steward the food was not so great and when up at the grill where they do the buffet for breakfast etc all I could smell was rotting fruit. The bars on the ship were closed by 10pm.

The seas were very rough and I found out that they were not using the ships stabilazers all that much. The Captian did not interact with the passangers that I could see.

The ship automatically took out money from your charges for tips, which I do not agree with. With the exception of the cabin steward I did not think any of the staff deserved a tip other than a verbal tip of how to treat the passangers with warm friendly attitudes. I would have to say that Princess would not be our first choice for cruising again unless the price was right.
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We were married on the Ruby Princess on March 13th. First I must say the cruiseline did a outstanding job on the wedding, if anyone is looking to do a destination wedding this is the way to go.

I am glad your wedding went off beautifully..congratulations.

The cruise itself well I must say the staff for the most part was less than friendly, with the exception of the cabin steward the food was not so great and when up at the grill where they do the buffet for breakfast etc all I could smell was rotting fruit. The bars on the ship were closed by 10pm.

I too over the years have come across a less then friendly crew on one ship..it is not the norm though. Did you get any explanation from the crew about the odor? Honestly with over 20 years of cruising, and moderating here as well, I have never seen ,or heard of a bar closed at 10 pm..this is the shank of the evening,and a revenue stream for the ship, why would they close..this doesn't make sense.

The seas were very rough and I found out that they were not using the ships stabilazers all that much. The Captian did not interact with the passangers that I could see.

Usually, the most interaction with the Captian is at the cocktail party
where he meets and greets the passengers. I would trust the Captains judgement about sailing the ship. No one else knows the circumstances which would dictate any procedure. Sometimes it is just a bumpy ride....

The ship automatically took out money from your charges for tips, which I do not agree with. With the exception of the cabin steward I did not think any of the staff deserved a tip other than a verbal tip of how to treat the passangers with warm friendly attitudes. I would have to say that Princess would not be our first choice for cruising again unless the price was right.

The tipping system should not have been a surprise, as your ta, would have apprised you of the the way it worked. As far as the tips, I am very surprised you don't think the waiters at dinner deserved tips. All your drinks had an automatic tip added to the bill. You would tip a waiter at home, so why not the hard working waiters at sea?

I hope you cruise again,and you have a great time.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 29th, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Admiral

First off congrats on your marriage - glad you had a great experience with a cruise wedding --sorry to hear that you had some issues with your Princess cruise, just a couple of things to keep in mind for future cruising, Unless you specify that you do not want tips automatically taken from your account this will happen, you can change it anytime before or during your cruise. It is very rare on any cruise that you will see the captain interacting with passengers, he is a very,very busy man. If you had an issue with the food you should have addressed it right away with the Maitre D or manager, same goes for any issues that you had with the staff. Rough seas are a fact of life when cruising, and i am sure that the captain did all that he could to ensure a safe passage
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Welcome Newcomer

it use to be that you would do the tipping at the end of a cruise and I understand that lots of people would not tip at all which was not right either however I am in the travel industry and have to deal with all kinds of passangers and no matter what you are going through personally you put a smile on your face and be pleasant they were not friendly or helpful at all and to me I do not think the rest of the staff deserve money tips. They need to be retaught how to behave to the paying passengers. Like I said Princess would not be our first choice in crusing again but if their price was right and we truly wanted to cruise we would sail on them but as a last choice
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Not to worry I will cruise again I know it is not always like this
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Congratulations on your marriage. Welcome to CruiseMates. I hope reading the information published on this site and posted in these forums will help you planning your next cruise and learning more about cruising in general.

I can't answer more elegantly than Trip. We sailed Ruby has summer and had mostly delightful exchanges with the crew. I understand that with the average contract length on most cruise ships that most of the crew had turned over since last June. We ate most breakfast and lunches on the lido and enjoyed nearly every bite - never encountered the aroma you describe.

Unless the information came from the bridge, I would take the "fact" that the captain did not deploy the stabilizers with a grain of salt. Passengers often share "facts" that are indeed fiction.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014