CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   sea princess to Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/382043-sea-princess-alaska.html)

brownie77 April 21st, 2011 01:22 PM

sea princess to Alaska

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME AN IDEA ON WHAT TO PACK FOR A CRUISE IN AUGUST TO ALASKA WE RE TRAVELLING TO CHICAGO FIRST THEN CROSSING THE STATES BY TRAIN TO SAN FRANSICO,BOARDING THE CRUISE HOPING WE WILL BE ABLE TO PACK OUR SHORTS. ANY TIPS OR ADVICE GREATFULLY RECEIVE:cool:D

Donna April 21st, 2011 06:33 PM

You may see a day or two that it will be warm enough to wear shorts, go ahead and pack a pair. Just be sure to pack some rain gear, chances are, you will see some during the week. Also, a good pair of walking shoes for excursions. The key when cruising Alaska is to layer your clothing, starts off chilly, but warms up during the day.

Kamloops Cruiser April 21st, 2011 06:34 PM

Weather in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest (incl Washington and BC)

can be very variable. You might hit a long stretch of good weather or a

stretch of bad weather or anything in between.:cool:

I have lived on the BC coast for over 40 years . Weather can vary

a lot . Be prepared to dress in layers that can easy be removed

during the day. :cool:

brownie77 April 22nd, 2011 12:18 PM

Thank you for the advice. So will pack for layers hoping for good weather. Went on weather report for alaska and it seems that we might hit a few rainy days we are taking light rainwear and a fleece
many thanks for the replies

brownie77 April 22nd, 2011 12:22 PM

Thanks donna for the advice we are lookig forward to the cruise hope to see alot of wildlife.

Donna April 22nd, 2011 06:44 PM

Hi Brownie,
What type of excursions do you have planned? Any glacier stops...A good excurson in Juneau is a whale watching tour.....The train ride in Skagway is also breathtaking and very interesting to hear about the history of the location.

brownie77 April 29th, 2011 04:51 PM

We have only booked one excursion so far on the fishing boat that appeared on deadliest catch. Looked so interesting hope we get the chance to see around keitchan. still deciding about the other trips part of the antipitation of what we will do, so excited many thanks for all your advice.

MercedMike April 30th, 2011 10:57 AM

Alaska

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownie77 (Post 1368577)
We have only booked one excursion so far on the fishing boat that appeared on deadliest catch. Looked so interesting hope we get the chance to see around keitchan. still deciding about the other trips part of the antipitation of what we will do, so excited many thanks for all your advice.

I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

What is your itinerary?

As far as clothing -- as others have said, Alaska is variable. We have been there eight times and had different weather each time! To see the way we have dressed, check out our page at
Cruising with the Halls
and look at our various Alaska trip reports.

Also I put up a page of excursions we have liked (out of the many available) at
Alaska Excursions Guide
and you might like to use it for some ideas.

Looking for your report when you get back!

brownie77 April 30th, 2011 03:25 PM

Thank you for allowing us to view your lovely pictures hope, you can answer another question we are oly allowed one suitcase each on the airline we are travelling with so having to leave the dinner suit at home, we hope to be able to hire one with princess cruises would you say majority of people get dressed in dinner for the formal eveing or is it smart casual.

Fern April 30th, 2011 08:23 PM

Hi brownie77 and welcome to Cruisemates! We've found that a long sleeved shirt, a tie and nice slacks are fine for Formal Night on Princess. If you want to rent a Tux on board, you'll be fine wearing that, too.

Many men wear a sport's coat or a suit, but it's not necessary. Alaska cruise's seem to be a little less formal than some other's.

Have a wonderful cruise,

MercedMike May 1st, 2011 11:16 AM

Formal nights

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownie77 (Post 1368730)
Thank you for allowing us to view your lovely pictures hope, you can answer another question we are oly allowed one suitcase each on the airline we are travelling with so having to leave the dinner suit at home, we hope to be able to hire one with princess cruises would you say majority of people get dressed in dinner for the formal eveing or is it smart casual.

Well, my DW is a great packer so she always finds room for my tux and her formal gown. BUT we are in the minority. Most gents will wear a suit or sports coat and tie. Most ladies will wear a "party" dress or a nice pantsuit.

Last cruise, luggage was tight so I rented a tux from the ship, but took my vests and bow ties. That worked very well, the price was reasonable and the fit of the tux was OK. Gentlemen look so good in a tux, I think it would be fun for you to rent one. In fact it is even possible on some lines to rent ladies formal wear too.

Check out our trip report and pictures at Cruising to Alaska on HAL Zuiderdam to see our group on one Alaskan formal night.

Check out our trip report and pictures at Australia and Indonesia Cruise to see a few formal night pictures of us on our last cruise, me in my rented tux.

Have a GREAT cruise!

brownie77 May 1st, 2011 04:54 PM

Hi Mike, Thx for all the advice, if its not to strict on formal night wear I might just take my jacket,trousers,shirt for those nights.

Frank.

MercedMike May 2nd, 2011 01:01 PM

formal nights

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownie77 (Post 1368883)
Hi Mike, Thx for all the advice, if its not to strict on formal night wear I might just take my jacket,trousers,shirt for those nights.

Frank.

Formal nights are becoming less and less strict. Probably no more than 10% of men are in a tux, maybe another 30% in suits, most of the rest just a jacket and tie. On most ships they are still pretty strict about the ties. Otherwise, do what is comfortable for you.

But we gentlemen look soooooo good in a tux ... the ladies love it! ;)

DeepSpace May 7th, 2011 03:08 AM

I really like the formal nights, that is the one time my wife and I really dress for dinner. I hope formal night will always remain a tradition on cruise lines.

RichC May 12th, 2011 07:49 AM

With all the other clothes you'll be taking along I'd leave the formal clothing at home & just wear something nice on the formal nights. Princess will still let you into the dining room not dressed formally. Just a long sleeve shirt & dress pants for the guys, without the tie & a simple dress for the women will suffice.

MercedMike May 13th, 2011 11:28 AM

"Will suffice"??

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 1370631)
With all the other clothes you'll be taking along I'd leave the formal clothing at home & just wear something nice on the formal nights. Princess will still let you into the dining room not dressed formally. Just a long sleeve shirt & dress pants for the guys, without the tie & a simple dress for the women will suffice.

Sadly this might actually be true. It is too bad.

But in fact, usually they do want at least a tie on the gentlemen for dinner on formal nights.

If you can't put on a tie, please do me a favor and eat in the buffet that night.