Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Interesting thread, I haven't bothered much since being told off for saying it was arrogant of someone to tell me what wine I should or shouldn't like, I notice more personal comments than that on this thread....
On topic though, if there is a dress code the cruise line should uphold it or do away with it, & if there is a code the passengers should respect it. Personally I couldn't care less if there is a code or not, but if there is I respect the wishes of the cruise line.
Why? The way it is today is fine. Their formal clothing suggestion is in place for only one reason & that's to make money by selling photo's & wine. They make the suggestion & if people wish to follow it, let them. They'll enjoy themselves in the process & those that don't follow it will still have a good time even if not fully complying and take nothing away form those that believe in doing so.

What is annoying is when they offer food in the dining room that isn't available elsewhere on the ship but as long as they let me eat in the DR dressed casually on a formal night I won't complain.
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Admiral

as Moderator i try to do as my title says so here goes, for those of you who don't know it MercedMike has a very sharp whit, he can be sarcastic and most of his comments come with a little icon to let you know that.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Question Wit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
as Moderator i try to do as my title says so here goes, for those of you who don't know it MercedMike has a very sharp whit, he can be sarcastic and most of his comments come with a little icon to let you know that.
Some people think I am a wit.

Some think I am only half that ...

And some put a "t" in front of it ...

Don't take life so serious -- it ain't nohow permanent. --Pogo Possum

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Familiar Face

Geez..........here I was, all prepared to argue that Mike is an old fuddie duddie, and then it all came to me. He is right. IF you have a rule, enforce it. IF you aren't gonna enforce it, drop it. Princess should either enforce their rules (which, by the way do NOT include formal dress, on formal nights, in the speciality dining rooms) or get rid of the rules, and publish "suggestions", worded as such
Old June 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoifbysea View Post
Geez..........here I was, all prepared to argue that Mike is an old fuddie duddie, and then it all came to me. He is right. IF you have a rule, enforce it. IF you aren't gonna enforce it, drop it. Princess should either enforce their rules (which, by the way do NOT include formal dress, on formal nights, in the speciality dining rooms) or get rid of the rules, and publish "suggestions", worded as such
I've never had a problem yet in the Specialty restaurants and always keep a copy of their written "rules or suggestions" in my pocket awaiting the day if it does happen. I suppose there are some head waiters who feel it makes their restaurant more up scale & would rather see it that way but as long as they publicize it being casual most people will go with it.
Old June 19th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Familiar Face

I'm really enjoying this thread, so far. I am not going to come down on either side of the issue of whether there should be strict dress codes but I certainly agree that, if there are printed rules in place, then they should be enforced.
With that said, I have another twist on this original question. My wife and I are primarily Carnival sailors and she has platinum status. Our November 2011 cruise on Emerald Princess will be our first Princess cruise. I really enjoy wearing a tux for formal night because we often use photos of that night as gifts or Christmas cards. In the past five years I have seen the Carnival formal nights going from about 50/50 tuxes to dark suits or sport coats to our last cruise where I was the only guy in the dining room who was wearing a tux and was not a staff member. It was so bad that, while standing outside the main theater waiting for my wife to arrive I was approached by several guests who asked me questions about the show time.
I had already decided that I was going to drop back to a dark suit for my next Carnival cruise but it sounds like I might be able to get away with a tux on our Princess cruise without being so obviously over dressed. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Read and post cruise reviews
NCL - Pride of America - May 2011
Carnival Elation - February 2011
Carnival Elation - November 2010
Carnival Dream - October 2010
RCL Oasis of the Seas - May/June 2010
Carnival Fantasy - April 2010
HAL Ryndam - September 2009
Carnival Holiday - May 2009
Carnival Celebration - April 5, 2008
Carnival Liberty - May 2007
Carnival Miracle - April 2006
Windjammer Fantome - 1987
Old June 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazelle2 View Post
It was so bad that, while standing outside the main theater waiting for my wife to arrive I was approached by several guests who asked me questions about the show time.
I had already decided that I was going to drop back to a dark suit for my next Carnival cruise but it sounds like I might be able to get away with a tux on our Princess cruise without being so obviously over dressed. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
"Hello, table for two, please !"

You'll be fine in your tux on a Princess cruise. While some people don't do every formal night (us!), there are many men in tuxes and women in formal dresses. You'll be able to get great pictures!

On Carnival I wore a long skirt and "sparkly" top and DH wore slacks, a long sleeved shirt and a tie on the one formal night to which we went. We fit in fine there !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks, Fern. That was exactly what I needed to know.

Carnival Miracle - April 2006
Windjammer Fantome - 1987
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Gazelle2 - you will be just fine on Princess in your tuxedo. my DH opts for the dark suit, and i have gone from sparkly long gowns to a sparkly cocktail dress, but you will still see quite a few gentlemen in tuxedos and ladies in long gowns
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
Gazelle2 - you will be just fine on Princess in your tuxedo. my DH opts for the dark suit, and i have gone from sparkly long gowns to a sparkly cocktail dress, but you will still see quite a few gentlemen in tuxedos and ladies in long gowns
Thanks, Lisa.