CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Princess Dress Code (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/382052-princess-dress-code.html)

jlauntz April 21st, 2011 07:08 PM

Princess Dress Code

What is the Dress code for dinner on a princess cruise? Is the dress code enforced or merely a suggestion?

Fern April 21st, 2011 07:41 PM

On a 7 day cruise there will be two Formal nights. Men can wear anything from a sports coat (you can go without, but most men will have a jacket of some kind on), shirt and tie and slacks, to a tux. Women can wear anything from nice slacks and a "sparkly" blouse to formal dresses.

The other 5 nights are Smart Casual. For men, slacks and a collared shirt, for women a sundress, pants or a skirt and a blouse.

They do enforce the "no shorts in the dining room" and "no sleeveless shirts for men" at dinner, but you can generally get away with anything that looks nice.

If you don't want to do Formal night you can go to the Buffet in whatever you want to wear or you can order Room Service.

Have fun and don't stress too much over what to wear :D,

Kamloops Cruiser April 21st, 2011 10:48 PM

The enforcement of the dress code seems to left up to the

Maitre'de in each dining room. Traditional DR seems to enforce

the dress code more than anytime dining.

Also where and when you cruise seems to also affect the

enforcement of the dress code.:cool:

LisaK April 22nd, 2011 09:37 AM

we have been on quite a few Princess cruises and i must say that the vast majority of passengers do adhere to the dress code. DH wears a suit on formal nights, and i wear a cocktail dress or dressy dinner suit. On smart casual nights he wears dockers type pants with a polo, or hawaiian print shirt and i wear a sundress. We have seen passengers turned away at the dining room door because they were not properly dressed

RichC May 4th, 2011 11:03 AM

Most people do dress up on formal nights in the dining room but the adherence to the dress code is not enforced that strongly. As long as someone makes an effort they'll be admitted to dine. I stopped by the dining room on a formal night for some information dressed in jeans & T shirt & the head waiter was ready to seat me. It's gotten to the point they they don't want to offend any passenger for any reason.

MercedMike May 4th, 2011 03:16 PM

Offending passengers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 1369373)
Most people do dress up on formal nights in the dining room but the adherence to the dress code is not enforced that strongly. As long as someone makes an effort they'll be admitted to dine. I stopped by the dining room on a formal night for some information dressed in jeans & T shirt & the head waiter was ready to seat me. It's gotten to the point they they don't want to offend any passenger for any reason.

And frankly, thereby they offend me. Rules are rules, whether rules of law or rules of decent social conduct. When those in authority allow people to openly flaunt the rules without enforcing them, we get all those trucks driving 75 on the freeway and those people who can't seem to manage to dress decently for dinner on cruise ships.

I would rather see honest enforcement than not wanting to offend anyone!

RichC May 5th, 2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1369410)
And frankly, thereby they offend me. Rules are rules, whether rules of law or rules of decent social conduct. When those in authority allow people to openly flaunt the rules without enforcing them, we get all those trucks driving 75 on the freeway and those people who can't seem to manage to dress decently for dinner on cruise ships.

Well I guess you'll be seeing the trucks slowing down to the posted limit before you'll see Princess enforce any dress limitations. ;)
The way Princess enforces their dress code is just fine by me.....dress up for your own enjoyment or dress casually since they realize your on vacation. People who dress down take nothing away from those that do.
When the day arrives that they serve the same food at the buffet is when I'll stop going to the dining room in the formal evenings but in the mean time maybe a more formal cruise line like Cunard would be better suitable for a formal dining experience.

MercedMike May 6th, 2011 11:51 AM

Enforcement

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 1369493)
Well I guess you'll be seeing the trucks slowing down to the posted limit before you'll see Princess enforce any dress limitations. ;)
The way Princess enforces their dress code is just fine by me.....dress up for your own enjoyment or dress casually since they realize your on vacation. People who dress down take nothing away from those that do.
When the day arrives that they serve the same food at the buffet is when I'll stop going to the dining room in the formal evenings but in the mean time maybe a more formal cruise line like Cunard would be better suitable for a formal dining experience.

Yep, being on the freeway driving at the legal limit and having a big old truck tailgating me is another thing that annoys me.

The point of my post is not to argue whether or not formal nights are a good thing. The point of the post is making rules and then not enforcing them. I don't like it when the government does it and I don't like it when the cruise lines do it.

On a recent cruise the shore excursion department put notices in the bulletin that the departure lounge was very crowded, and no one would be admitted until the time printed on their ticket. We had a excursion that met at 7:15 so we arrived at the lounge at 7:10 prepared to wait. There was a sign on the door that said, "Lounge opens at 7:15". Yet the door was open and the lounge was filling up fast. When they make rules, make a big point of publicizing them, and then ignore them it annoys me. I will follow rules, or I will play freestyle, but I need to know which!

If you don't like formal nights, then perhaps you would enjoy NCL. We cruised on the QMII and really enjoyed her. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. But everybody, no matter what their preference, should follow the rules, and every authority, government or cruise line, should enforce their rules.

RichC May 7th, 2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1369671)
Yep, being on the freeway driving at the legal limit and having a big old truck tailgating me is another thing that annoys me.

The point of my post is not to argue whether or not formal nights are a good thing. The point of the post is making rules and then not enforcing them. I don't like it when the government does it and I don't like it when the cruise lines do it.

On a recent cruise the shore excursion department put notices in the bulletin that the departure lounge was very crowded, and no one would be admitted until the time printed on their ticket. We had a excursion that met at 7:15 so we arrived at the lounge at 7:10 prepared to wait. There was a sign on the door that said, "Lounge opens at 7:15". Yet the door was open and the lounge was filling up fast. When they make rules, make a big point of publicizing them, and then ignore them it annoys me. I will follow rules, or I will play freestyle, but I need to know which!

If you don't like formal nights, then perhaps you would enjoy NCL. We cruised on the QMII and really enjoyed her. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. But everybody, no matter what their preference, should follow the rules, and every authority, government or cruise line, should enforce their rules.

Most of the "rules" that Princess states are pretty much ignored by a lot of people & the dress thing is probably the least of them.
We've done NCL any although I do like them we've built up our cruises with Princess & for the money & the additional perks we prefer them.

richstacy May 13th, 2011 05:09 PM

When Fern says slacks for men on smart casual nights, clean dockers are fine. No need for wool slacks. for those nights, I generally wear tan pants and a sport shirt or Hawaiian shirt., but I may occasionally wear a sport Jacket with no tie. for formal nights, I have gotten rid of my Tux. There is no need for that anymore. A dark suit or a blazer, one dress shirt and two ties will do the trick for packing light.

richstacy May 13th, 2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1369410)

I agree 100% with Mike! People who flaunt the rules and refuse to dress a bit for formal night show a lack of respect for their fellow cruisers.:( Want to act like a slob? Charter a boat. Otherwise follow the established rules that everyone else abides by.

DeepSpace May 15th, 2011 07:50 PM

We think the formal dress night brings back romance and the allure of a buygone era of cruises, and the tradition should be kept alive.

LisaK May 16th, 2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSpace (Post 1371149)
We think the formal dress night brings back romance and the allure of a buygone era of cruises, and the tradition should be kept alive.

totally agree with you.

RichC May 17th, 2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSpace (Post 1371149)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1371216)
totally agree with you.

The tradition is being keep alive, for all those that like to follow it. The cruise lines are just bending in order to satisfy people who wish not to adhere to the strict formal dress code. Some people really like being casual on all nights of their vacation & with the cost of extra baggage it gives another reason not to drag along all the formal clothing for just a few hours on those nights nights.
I doubt we'll see them do away with formal nights altogether since it produces large amount of income for the cruise line, such as photo, wine, after dinner drinks and also provides an opportunity for those who actually like to dress up to do so.

poppadock May 19th, 2011 10:25 PM

To my fellow cruise mates, I think dressing up on formal nights is very cool & every one is looking good. But at the same time people will be people & have there own Ideas about dressing up. We all cruise for one reason that is to enjoy ourselves we all love to cruise. I am one for dress up.

Nancy L May 22nd, 2011 02:48 PM

We are going on the Island Princess Alaska cruise in August. My husband does not like wearing a tie. I was happy to read that the formal night is not enforced. He will wear a shirt and slacks but no tie. Glad I don't have to take his suit.

Nancy L May 23rd, 2011 09:27 AM

Hey Mike. I say live and let live. If you like to dress up, fine. I do too but I'm a woman who was once a little girl. And we all know that little girls like to dress up in Mommy's clothes. My husband is just a good ole boy and is more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt. Besides, clothes does not the person make. I would rather sit and talk to someone who was comfortable rather than one who was forced to wear fancy clothes to dinner. And it's a vacation. Why stress out about what you will be wearing when?

MercedMike May 23rd, 2011 10:40 AM

Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy L (Post 1372422)
Hey Mike. I say live and let live. If you like to dress up, fine. I do too but I'm a woman who was once a little girl. And we all know that little girls like to dress up in Mommy's clothes. My husband is just a good ole boy and is more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt. Besides, clothes does not the person make. I would rather sit and talk to someone who was comfortable rather than one who was forced to wear fancy clothes to dinner. And it's a vacation. Why stress out about what you will be wearing when?

Great attitude Nancy. You are absolutely right. You should do things your way. After all it is your vacation.

Have a good time at Sandals. Too bad cruising is not right for you.

LisaK May 24th, 2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy L (Post 1372277)
We are going on the Island Princess Alaska cruise in August. My husband does not like wearing a tie. I was happy to read that the formal night is not enforced. He will wear a shirt and slacks but no tie. Glad I don't have to take his suit.

Nancy, just an FYI, have seen Maitre D on more than one of my Princess cruises turn away people from the main dining rooms on Formal Nights for not being properly attired, yes Alaska is a bit more laid-back but hubby might want to pack that tie just in case

RichC May 27th, 2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy L (Post 1372277)

Most people will dress but they're very lenient about the enforcement of true formal clothing, especially the tie. I've been wearing casual clothing for years to the main dining room & haven't had a problem yet. Just a decent long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants are all that's really required. With the weight limitations of the airlines & seeing that you have to pack extra clothing for the cooler & wet weather, many others will be doing the same as you.

Trackypup May 27th, 2011 03:58 PM

After just returning from 17 days on Princess I can tell you a tie will not matter one smidge. You may have a maitre'd that will ask for a jacket. You definitely don't need a "Suit". You also have the option of dining in the alternative restaurants...Sabatini's, Sterlings, Bayou, Crown Grill on formal nights as they are Smart Casual every night.

MercedMike May 28th, 2011 01:04 AM

Formal night in alternative venues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1373274)
You also have the option of dining in the alternative restaurants...Sabatini's, Sterlings, Bayou, Crown Grill on formal nights as they are Smart Casual every night.

UMMM, not unless things have changed very recently. In theory, formal night extends through the entire ship for the whole evening, not just in specific dining venues.

One night we had reservations for alternative dining, and we got confused and forgot it was formal night. When we got there, the maitre de reminded us, and offered to hold our reservations while we changed. We hustled back to the cabin, I hopped into my tux and DW into her formal gown, and got back up there in 20 minutes! The maitre d' smiled, and said, "Wow, I thought you would just go put on a tie!"

:D

Dhill May 28th, 2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1372429)
Great attitude Nancy. You are absolutely right. You should do things your way. After all it is your vacation.

Have a good time at Sandals. Too bad cruising is not right for you.

I dont understand when you say cruising is not right for this lady! What are you the Cruise police?Just because she has a diifrent view then you or maybe a diffrent life style?If you dont want to wear a tux does that mean you should stay at home and not go on a cruise?We just returned from a Princess cruise and on formall night I tried to wear a tie but I felt like I was being choked so off it came.I still wore some dress pants with a dress shirt and a jacket.Does it really ruin your meal if the guy 8 tables away is not wearing a tie? People need to stop worring about everyone else and just worry about themselfs. As far as the trucks on the freeways why are you signaling the trucks out there are more cars on the freeway breaking laws then trucks. I find it hard to believe that you have never been tailgated by a car!Unless you are the guy going the speed limit in the fast lane just to make people mad;)

Trackypup May 28th, 2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1373375)
UMMM, not unless things have changed very recently. In theory, formal night extends through the entire ship for the whole evening, not just in specific dining venues.

One night we had reservations for alternative dining, and we got confused and forgot it was formal night. When we got there, the maitre de reminded us, and offered to hold our reservations while we changed. We hustled back to the cabin, I hopped into my tux and DW into her formal gown, and got back up there in 20 minutes! The maitre d' smiled, and said, "Wow, I thought you would just go put on a tie!"

It changed a few years back. My last three cruises we've dined in the alternative restaurants on formal night. I'd say 1/2 were dressed smart casual. Princess isn't stupid. People who are done with formal night have no issues paying money to eat somewhere nice. It also seems to be a trend as Celebrity has gone the same route this year.

Fern May 28th, 2011 08:24 PM

Mike, yes things have changed! A couple of years ago we ate at the Steak House on formal night. We dressed for formal night, too. There were many people dressed for smart casual night and the next day I asked what the deal was from one of my friends, whom I'd seen there dressed casually.

He said on formal night you could go smart casual in the alternate restaurants. I checked it out, and he was right :)!

RichC May 29th, 2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1373375)

In the"old days" this was true but in the last 10 or more years it certainly isn't true on Princess any longer. The days of people dressing for the shows or lounges is long gone with even the formal attire not being mandatory in the dining rooms to some extent. People who dine in shorts or jeans & T shirt at the Horizon on a formal night are not barred from walking around the ship or attending any shows.
Now if they could only provide the same meals in the Horizon on formal nights it could end the discussions about dressing altogether.

MercedMike May 29th, 2011 12:54 PM

Dressing

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 1373517)
[SIZE=3]People who dine in shorts or jeans & T shirt at the Horizon on a formal night are not barred from walking around the ship or attending any shows.

No, that's true, they are not barred. And most of the time, those of us who are dressed nicely keep our opinion of boorish slobs to ourselves ...

At least, until I get on these boards ... ;)

Dhill May 29th, 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1373544)
No, that's true, they are not barred. And most of the time, those of us who are dressed nicely keep our opinion of boorish slobs to ourselves ...

Boorish, slobs wow thats a nice statement just because someone dresses diffrent that makes them a slob?Or acts diffrent then you that makes them Boorish.Whatever,takes all kinds to make the world go around.A little judgemental:( what does that make you exciting and well groomed I would rather talk to someone who is dressed a liitle less nice then some one that is so judgemental:D

johnthed0g May 29th, 2011 02:21 PM

Interesting thread, I haven't bothered much since being told off for saying it was arrogant of someone to tell me what wine I should or shouldn't like, I notice more personal comments than that on this thread....
On topic though, if there is a dress code the cruise line should uphold it or do away with it, & if there is a code the passengers should respect it. Personally I couldn't care less if there is a code or not, but if there is I respect the wishes of the cruise line.

Trackypup May 29th, 2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1373544)

Mike, why are they Boorish slobs if they eat in the Horizon Court? you want them barred from all bars, casino and shows for the evening? Would you like them to scale the outside of the ship to get to the Horizon Court? this is silly. I don't understand name calling in the first place but if they've chosen to eat elsewhere rather than the Main Dining Room who cares?

I have 6 formal nights on my cruise next year and won't be participating in any of them. We'll either eat in the specialty restaurants or room service or the Horizon court but I can tell you for sure I won't be avoiding other areas of the ship those nights. That is following Princess's dress code as we won't be in the MDR.