Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Familiar Face

Default Ever forget your Passport?

We were booked on the Grand Princess to leave 2/2/08 from Ft. Lauderdale traveling with our adult children and their spouses. The plan was to leave Chicago on Friday, 2/1/08 and stay overnight one night pre-cruise to allow for any weather delays. This was prophetic as it started snowing on Thursday and continued for 24 hours and continuing on Friday, dumping about a foot of snow in Chicago. O’Hare airport cancelled 600 flights on Thursday. Lucky for us, we were flying United which has its hub in Chicago and we not only had an aircraft at our gate but our flight was on time. The anxiety over the weather had overshadowed everything else on our minds.

As we winged our way to Ft. Lauderdale, I turned to my DH and asked if he had brought the passports as they had been sitting on his dresser. The horrified look that he gave me confirmed my fears. We weren't going to land for another 2 hours and we frantically discussed this with the kids.

The girl sitting next to me suggested that we have someone go to the house and FEDEX them to us. The problem was that no one else had a key to the house. She suggested that we get a friend to get a locksmith to open the house and then send the passports. This sounded like a good idea to me but DH felt that there were too many parts to the plan that could go wrong and his plan was to fly immediately back to Chicago and come back the next day.

We called Donna, our trusty travel agent for advice and she called Princess to confirm that we needed passports or a certified copy of your birth certificate which you could get from a national data base here in the States. The fly in the ointment for that idea was that DH was not born in the USA.

She started checking flights from Ft. Lauderdale when I mentioned the locksmith idea. She became very excited and said that she had a good friend who was a locksmith and she would call him and ask if he would do this for her. While we went down to baggage claim, we also talked to the Princess rep who met us for the bus transfer to the hotel and told her that DH might not be coming with us.

Donna called back and said that while the locksmith would open the house, he would not go in it because of the liability. His best friend however was Donna's ex-boyfriend and he agreed to go along and get the documents off DH's dresser and take them to a FEDEX-KINKOS for next day delivery.

We boarded the bus to the hotel and Donna called us about 10 minutes later and conferenced us in with the locksmith who was having trouble opening the lock and he said that he had to make a key to open the lock. Did my original key have a number on it? It did have a serial number and he was able to open the door. We gave Donna the hotel address and she called us later to confirm that the package was on the way and should be delivered by noon, guaranteed.

Our SIL asked us to get the tracking number and he would check it for us the next day. Donna called us back that evening with it and we all breathed a sigh of relief. We were so grateful to her for going above and beyond for us; we could not thank her enough! You would not get someone to do this for you from an online agency. She charged the locksmith fee, about $100 and the FEDEX fee about $44 to our credit card. This was a small price to pay for our stupidity.

The next day, Jeremy checked the tracking number and said it was in Pompano Beach which was the next town away. It was actually in the same state! We went in for breakfast anticipating that it would be there shortly. By eleven it was still not there and I asked him to check it again and it came up with an "exception". I called 1-800-GOFEDEX and they told me that the address was incorrect! But the package was on the truck and I could pick it up at the facility when the driver came back and they were open until 7:00 PM. Small comfort when the ship was sailing @ 5:00! The person at FEDEX could hear the panic in my voice. She asked for the correct address and said that they would leave a message for the driver.

The hotel had given us a letter telling us to meet downstairs @ 11:30-12:00 for "pre-check-in". We sent the kids down and checked out of our room and anxiously awaited a call back from FEDEX. Unbeknownst to us, Donna had also noticed the incorrect address that morning and was also frantically calling FEDEX trying to get the correct address on the envelope.

I tried FEDEX again around 12:15 and got the same response, that they would send a message to the driver. In the meantime, we pulled our luggage out of the Princess pile so it wouldn't get on the ship without us and waited while the Holland America reps boarded about 12 buses for their cruise.

We discussed our problem with the hotel manager and he assured us that the FEDEX depot was only 10 minutes away and most Saturday deliveries were over by 1:00 so we should have no problem getting there to get our package and making it to the ship on time. He even said that he would arrange a Lincoln Town car for us that would be the same cost as a cab and would wait for us. So we had an alternate plan. Meanwhile, DH was waiting outside looking for any FEDEX truck that came by so he could throw his body in its path just in case it was the one with our passports.

We tried to call again @ 12:50 and the FEDEX person noticed a message that said that the driver would be there in 15 minutes! As soon as I hung up, Donna was calling us with the same news. She was feeling responsible since it was her friend who had put down the wrong address!

DH, DS, DIL, SIL all waited outside for the FEDEX truck to make an appearance while DD stayed with me calming my frazzled nerves. A few minutes later, FEDEX pulled up and DH ran to him to claim our envelope. The driver questioned him because our name was spelled incorrectly but DH pulled out his driver’s license to prove it was him and then tipped the guy.

And yes, inside were the passports, the bill for the locksmith and the key he had made to get into the house. Princess was still boarding buses and had not yet called our color. Our luggage went back into the pile and we were finally on our way!

Had we ever discussed our passports before leaving? Yes, a few days earlier I had asked where they were thinking that if they were in the bank vault, I would have to go get them. But DH had assured me that they were on his dresser. And we then promptly forgot about them with all the anxiety over the weather. From now on, they will be the first thing on my list! Donna saved us from having to make another flight back home and saved our vacation with our children.
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Never forgot my passport but it's always something. In 2010 it was my dress belt. This year I got all the way to the second formal night before I realized I had French cuffs on the second dress shirt and no cuff links. The cheapest in the gift shop were $40 and I'll never wear them again. I trust my wife with my life but I always double check to see that she has the passports before we leave the house. I'll triple check after hearing your horror story!
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Wow--what a story--thanks for sharing it with us!!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Admiral

wow, what a story, kuddos to Donna your amazing TA!. I make lists before we travel and passports, air tickets & cruise tickets are at the top of the list. The last thing i ask DH before we leave the house is do you have your passport? show it to me, and he does the same for me.
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Admiral

I'd book my next cruise through Donna. What great support.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 1st, 2011, 02:12 AM
First Mate

What a story, we always make sure we have them in our hands before we leave the house. Thanks for your story and thanks to your TA for the great job she did for you.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Familiar Face

What a great TA! And it's more proof that using a local TA is far more beneficial than using an online agency. All it takes is 1 "oops" and any savings from an online site is gone!
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Familiar Face

WOW, what a story....!!!!
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Familiar Face

That was a great story but the anxiety nearly made me run to the bathroom to throw up before i got to the end. My wife carries ALL of the travel documents ALL of the time. I ask her frequently just to make sure but I don't get to carry them.

Read and post cruise reviews
NCL - Pride of America - May 2011
Carnival Elation - February 2011
Carnival Elation - November 2010
Carnival Dream - October 2010
RCL Oasis of the Seas - May/June 2010
Carnival Fantasy - April 2010
HAL Ryndam - September 2009
Carnival Holiday - May 2009
Carnival Celebration - April 5, 2008
Carnival Liberty - May 2007
Carnival Miracle - April 2006
Windjammer Fantome - 1987
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Familiar Face

One cruise we were going to Disney and then the Disney cruise. In order to cross the border from Canada to the States and then onto the cruise we needed our passports. I have a really small purse that I bring with me as I usually don't need a big thing to carry things in. My sil had worked until 3 in the morning and then slept at our house for 2 1/2 hrs then got up to drive us to the airport. We all got out and there was bedlam at the airport. For some reason I had taken off my purse and put it down on the seat to get something else. It had our money and 1/2 the passports. My sil took off to go back to our house. By the time I entered the airport I realized that I didn't have it. Unfortunately cell phones were not here yet so we had to wait until he got back to my house to ask him to return with my purse. I felt so bad as he really hadn't had any sleep and had to go back to work at about 10 a.m. It did arrive and everything was okay but I didn't let the purse out of my sight after that.
tigercat
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:47 AM
Admiral

Great story...of course as we leave from the UK we need our passports to go virtually everywhere, even internal flights want "photo ID'' so the passport is easiest.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
First Mate

Default I had the wrong passport :(

Oh yes, the horror of pulling ino the parking line at the New Orleans terminal to pull out the passport and see my photo on one and my son's photo on the other, with DH behind the wheel of the car. My wonderful husband and I have cruised many time out of New Orleans but this time I had pulled two passports from the safe, arrived with the wrong ones. We immediately turned the car around, called our young adult son at his job and asked him to please go to the house for us and retrieve the correct passport. (Kuddo's to his boss for understanding our predicament). We pulled back onto the interstate to meet him anywhere between port and home. As we headed in that direction my panic threw my digestive system into a whirlwind and my DH had to pull off into an area of New Orleans we werent familiar with and rush to find anything with a restroom for me. While I recovered from my wreck of a intestinal attack, my son called and he was on his way to meet us. We met him about an hour later, rushed back to port as close to the speed limit as possible and arrived just in time for the parking line to be clearing out and boarding lines open. Whew...never again. I always check, double check and put them in my purse a few days prior to boarding now. If you dont have anything else with you, dont forget your docs!! I thank the Lord iwe got onboard safely that day !!
Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Familiar Face

thanks for both of those stories! i have nightmares about stuff like that. i'm glad it worked out for both of you! (I will also double-check mine!!)
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Familiar Face

I got to tell you what a story. You had be in suspense. I am glad it worked out. How was your cruise?
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Familiar Face

We booked another cruise in July and yes, we did use Donna. After our "adventure" ended and we got home, we sent her flowers and a gift card.

The cruise itself was great and our kids really enjoyed it.