CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Princess BANS smoking in cabins and on balconies (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/383133-princess-bans-smoking-cabins-balconies.html)

Kuki June 15th, 2011 03:48 PM

Princess BANS smoking in cabins and on balconies
 
Cruise News - updated daily! The latest cruise news from and about the cruise travel industry

Your thoughts?

Lakers Fan June 15th, 2011 05:01 PM

Hopefully other cruiselines will follow suit .

Lakers Fan June 15th, 2011 05:03 PM

Hopefully other cruiselines will follow suit . My mother who never smoked a day in her life died from lung cancer .She was in the vicinity of smokers on her job and among her friends .

ruthlessboss June 15th, 2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1376441)
Hopefully other cruiselines will follow suit . My mother who never smoked a day in her life died from lung cancer .She was in the vicinity of smokers on her job and among her friends .

And of course you are SURE that was the ONLY cause! :evil:

Mike M June 15th, 2011 06:39 PM

Princess is basically following the lead of other cruise lines such as Celebrity. IMO it will become the industry wide norm.

I have no problem with it as long as smokers have a "reasonable" place to smoke. A smoking room with adequate ventilation and an outside smoking area.

Take care,
Mike

Dave Beers June 15th, 2011 06:45 PM

They are starting to stack up today. First Princess, then Carnival, and how HAL have announced new smoking restrictions today.

Trackypup June 15th, 2011 06:48 PM

HALLAFREAKINGLULUA

Really glad to hear this

Aerogirl June 15th, 2011 07:48 PM

So Princess has banned smoking in and on the verandas. As a non smoker I can see the cabins but I think itís unfair that you canít some on you balcony. Just like New York you will be ticketed if you smoke in the park and I know they want to implement it in Time Square as well. If this continues they need to just make it illegal to smoke and stop making million on the taxes of the sale of cigarettes. Like I said Iím not a smoker and donít like being around it but itís not illegal to smoke. Maybe the ship's shouldn't sell them either.
As a side note I smell something else more often than I smell cigarettes:wink:

Aerogirl June 15th, 2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers (Post 1376459)
They are starting to stack up today. First Princess, then Carnival, and how HAL have announced new smoking restrictions today.

You can still smoke on your balcony on Carnival.

RichC June 15th, 2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1376438)
Hopefully other cruiselines will follow suit .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1376441)
Hopefully other cruiselines will follow suit . My mother who never smoked a day in her life died from lung cancer .She was in the vicinity of smokers on her job and among her friends .

I hope not since 99% of our cruises are on Princess & I would hate for the smokers not to have a place to go.

Lakers Fan June 16th, 2011 12:08 AM

Smoking is a psychological tool .Its a substitute for something that one cannot emotionally deal with ,IMHO.

Lakers Fan June 16th, 2011 12:09 AM

No ,of course not
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1376446)
And of course you are SURE that was the ONLY cause! :evil:


However ,that was the opinion of the surgeon .

LisaK June 16th, 2011 10:10 AM

i think that not being able to smoke on your balcony might go a bit to far, but this is a direct result of a FEW smokers who didn't know what an ashtray was, how to use it and they flicked their ashes over the side and they would rain down onto balconies below

green_rd June 16th, 2011 12:12 PM

I do favor perhaps a section of the ship with smoking allowed cabins. I think the crews do an incredible job of cleaning - I have never noticed the smell of smoke in one of our cabins, and quite frankly not really much walking through an empty casino. But I would rather not have my neighbor's smoke wafting onto my balcony it is unpleasant.

ChrisB June 16th, 2011 03:50 PM

The hypocrisy in our society sickens me. Smoking is LEGAL and yet rights are being taken away from smokers. When is the country just going to make it illegal to smoke? When they donít make a fortune on them with taxes. :evil:
Cruise lines are all about the food, but if someone started treating obese people as if they were dirty scum, there would be an uproar! Fat/obese people put a strain on our health system and in general produce/raise obese children with health problems too. What next? A cruise with only salad? :mad:

Queen of Oakville June 16th, 2011 04:31 PM

Chris, your analogy is flawed, because someone who over-eats, will not affect my health. The same can't be said for someone wrt smoking. We all know the dangers of second hand smoke.



This is completely off-topic but my issue is with smokers on land particularly my next door neighbours who smoke outside their house. One or both of them is lighting up at least every 15 minutes. We cannot open our windows in the summer, because it seems that one of them is always out smoking, and the smoke blows directly into my house.

At least those of you who have to suffer through this on a cruise get to leave it behind. I have no rights in my own home, .... my only option is to move.


The big question is ..... for all those smokers who have made final payment or at least have deposits on cruises ..... can you get your money back or do you have to just accept the TOS?

Is there a business opportunity in this for a cruiseline to have a smoking-permitted fleet for all the disgruntled Carnival, Princess, Hal, Celebrity, Royal PAX?

ChrisB June 16th, 2011 04:38 PM

No, not flawed. They simply bring their "vise," into the next generation.

Tom8595 June 16th, 2011 05:28 PM

Smokers vs Fat people
 
I really do not care whether they smoke or overeat. But the bottom line on both of those groups is the money spent for their treatments.(Respitopry for smokers, and a variety of aliments for the obeese) It seems like it could raise insurance premiums on all either way.:p
Anyway this will not stop us from cruising.
This just seems silly to compare different groups of people because of their situations.:-?

anniegb June 16th, 2011 05:48 PM

Confused?
 
Sorry I thought this thread was re new smoking policy.

You will never stop people smoking. Someone said it is not illegal; btw neither is drinking yourself into an early grave but the cruiselines have not adopted a policy of prohibition. Smoking is being restricted to fewer areas because of the well documented effects of passive smoking .... and maybe a few lawsuits.

Anyway, I wonder if the cruiselines have investigated the feasibility/profitability say of 1 in 4 cruises being either 100% smoking or 100% non-smoking.

I am a confirmed non-smoker for the simple reason I could not afford both vices - travelling and smoking. :) but smoke also gets up my nose/in my eyes.

Speaking for myself, I spend less on a cruise because they allow smoking in the casinos.

Annie

green_rd June 16th, 2011 06:02 PM

Hmm - prohibition, let's see how would that work out

Wando June 16th, 2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1376625)
Sorry I thought this thread was re new smoking policy.

You will never stop people smoking. Someone said it is not illegal; btw neither is drinking yourself into an early grave but the cruiselines have not adopted a policy of prohibition. Smoking is being restricted to fewer areas because of the well documented effects of passive smoking .... and maybe a few lawsuits.

Anyway, I wonder if the cruiselines have investigated the feasibility/profitability say of 1 in 4 cruises being either 100% smoking or 100% non-smoking.

I am a confirmed non-smoker for the simple reason I could not afford both vices - travelling and smoking. :) but smoke also gets up my nose/in my eyes.

Speaking for myself, I spend less on a cruise because they allow smoking in the casinos.

Annie

Another factor that may have played a part is reduced costs. For example, cleaning of cabins will take less time, especially between cruises as a deep cleaning won't be required. This might mean fewer room stewards will be needed. Less damage to furniture from burns caused by cigarettes. Plus carpets, bed linens and mattresses will last longer due to no damage from cigarettes (eg. burns).

anniegb June 16th, 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wando (Post 1376627)
Another factor that may have played a part is reduced costs. For example, cleaning of cabins will take less time, especially between cruises as a deep cleaning won't be required. This might mean fewer room stewards will be needed. Less damage to furniture from burns caused by cigarettes. Plus carpets, bed linens and mattresses will last longer due to no damage from cigarettes (eg. burns).

Wando - you are right!

I think the point missed by the smokers is that the cruiselines have introduced these changes as a reaction to consumer demand.

Annie

Dave Beers June 16th, 2011 06:31 PM

I did some quick research and according to the CDC approximately 25% of the adult U.S. public smoked in 1997. That has not gone down much in the ensuing years. The report I read was through 2009 and it showed a 4% decrease during those 12 years. I doubt it has changed much between 2009 and 2011. So, it can be said that 75% of the adult population didn't smoke in 1997, and about 80% do not smoke now.

I'm not making a statement with this, just posting some statistical data.

As I recall, the Paradise experiment with zero tolerance lasted only around 5 years before the first legal cigarette was fired up in an official ceremony led by the Marlboro Man.

john_galt June 16th, 2011 07:09 PM

Anyone remember the fire on the Star Princess? It was supposedly the result of careless smoking. It's a scary video...
YouTube - ‪Star Princess Fire‬‏

Fern June 16th, 2011 09:38 PM

I don't think that cruise ships will ever go completely non-smoking as long as it's legal (and not only in the US, other countries smoke more than we do).

You really can't compare cruising to any other vacation area or non-smoking area. You can always leave a park, a restaurant, a hotel, etc., and have a smoke, but you can't get off the ship (unless you want to take a swim!) to smoke!

Those of you who have never smoked have no idea how hard it is to stop (even for a cruise :)). Smoking is addictive, just like other addictions. A smoker without some kind of help will go through "classic" withdrawal symptoms. Is this really something you'd want to do on vacation??

Also, there are the groups who cruise. If there are 20 people in a group and one or two smoke, they're going to pass on cruising if smoking is totally prohibited.

I think that the Carnival Corporation has done a fair job of giving smoker's a couple of places to smoke on all it's ships (Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc.).

A "quitter",

LisaK June 17th, 2011 10:22 AM

i believe it wasn't that long ago that Carnival (i think) tried to sell a non-smoking cruise, and they couldn't sell-out the ship

Queen of Oakville June 17th, 2011 11:13 AM

I don't think its fare to judge the merits of a non-smoking cruise on a single isolated ship. Who knows how well it was pubilcized? Was the sailing during a peak season or low demand season?

While i would love the thought of a non-smoking cruise, I would not be inclined to book a cruise solely on the dangling carrot of a non-smoking ship.


On the other board, someone made a statemetn to the effect of "we all know where the smokers are going now' and the statement was yet to be qualified or explained. So, I'll ask here .... where does a smoker go if they want the flexibility to smoke on a cruise?

To those of you who smoke, is this smoking policy enough for to cancel your pending cruises or change your loyalty to HAL, Princess, or Carnival?

MercedMike June 17th, 2011 12:04 PM

Non smoking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1376749)
i believe it wasn't that long ago that Carnival (i think) tried to sell a non-smoking cruise, and they couldn't sell-out the ship

I have never seen it officially confirmed, but the story that is widely told is that the non-smoking ship, Carnival Paradise, always sailed full and was very popular, but was not profitable. It seems that non-smokers are also very light gamblers and drinkers and without those two profit areas, a non-smoking ship became an economic failure. Makes sense to me ...

Dave Beers June 17th, 2011 04:19 PM

I think there was also an issue with group sales being a problem on the Paradise, since a typical group will have a mix of smokers and non-smokers. If you want a happy group, you book them on a smoking ship.

Fern June 17th, 2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1376766)
I don't think its fare to judge the merits of a non-smoking cruise on a single isolated ship. Who knows how well it was pubilcized? Was the sailing during a peak season or low demand season?

While i would love the thought of a non-smoking cruise, I would not be inclined to book a cruise solely on the dangling carrot of a non-smoking ship.


On the other board, someone made a statemetn to the effect of "we all know where the smokers are going now' and the statement was yet to be qualified or explained. So, I'll ask here .... where does a smoker go if they want the flexibility to smoke on a cruise?

To those of you who smoke, is this smoking policy enough for to cancel your pending cruises or change your loyalty to HAL, Princess, or Carnival?

Queen said "a non-smoking cruise on a single isolated ship". Queen, this wasn't an isolated ship's cruise. It was the Carnival Paradise sailing out of California and it was offered for a couple of years.
They tried it and it didn't work. Why? IMHO, it was because families and groups wouldn't book. If one person smoked, the whole group would move to a different cruise.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1