Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:12 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default eastern mediteranean cruise advice please

We have booked the Eastern Mediterranean Cruise for next May 2012.
We have NO experience with cruises and are a little bewildered reading all these forums.
Being Australian, we are not used to tipping and it concerns us a little of how much tipping seems to be expected

What sort of power supply is on the Ruby Princess, European or American?

How long before the ship sails is one expected to be on-board?

Does one HAVE to do tours organised (and pay for them!) by the ship?

Look forward to hear from experienced 'cruisers' any advice you feel we might need on our first cruise.

Cheers,
Maria
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Default Welcome to cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggies View Post
We have NO experience with cruises and are a little bewildered reading all these forums.
Well these forums are full of very opinionated people who love to go over every little detail of every possible question! It is a lot of fun but can indeed be bewildering to a newcomer.

The honest fact is that if you just fly to the port, get on the ship, and roll with what goes on you will have a GREAT cruise! You don't have to obsess over details.

Quote:
Being Australian, we are not used to tipping and it concerns us a little of how much tipping seems to be expected
it is you Aussies and the Brits which have lead to the "automatic tipping" situation on board. There will be a certain amount (currently U$10 I think) added to your shipboard account daily and distributed among the crew. In all the bars, 15% is automatically added to your tab. The easy thing to do is just leave it at that.

On shore, for half day tours tip $5, for a full day tour tip $10 to a good guide. (I think the AUD is almost equal to the US$, isn't it?)

It's easy!

Quote:
I know there is American power on all Princess ships. I disremember whether there is also European power but I think there is.

Quote:
On embarkation day you can normally begin boarding as early as 11 AM, and should definitely be on board two hours before sailing.

Quote:
Positively NOT. However, it is a very easy and convenient thing to do. Our usual practice is to look at the ship's tours and see if they do what we want to do. Then we research independent tours and see what we can arrange. In some ports we use the ship's tour, in others independent. You can see a good example of this at "Black Sea Cruise 2009"

Some people, especially in Europe, thrive on just getting off the ship and walking, hailing a taxi, or taking public transportation. In most cases this is a little more adventurous than we want to be.

Quote:
Look forward to hear from experienced 'cruisers' any advice you feel we might need on our first cruise.
My very best advice ... relax, let the crew pamper you, and "play rich"!

Cheers,
Maria[/QUOTE]

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Default Welcome to cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggies View Post
Well these forums are full of very opinionated people who love to go over every little detail of every possible question! It is a lot of fun but can indeed be bewildering to a newcomer.

The honest fact is that you will be given lots of information by the cruise line, in advance and when you get on board. Iif you just fly to the port, get on the ship, and roll with what goes on you will have a GREAT cruise! You don't have to obsess over details.

Quote:
it is you Aussies and the Brits which have lead to the "automatic tipping" situation on board. In fact I think on some cruise lines, Aussies and Brits pre-pay tips with their fare. If not, there will be a certain amount (currently U$10 I think) added to your shipboard account daily and distributed among the crew. In all the bars, 15% is automatically added to your tab. The easy thing to do is just leave it at that.

On shore, for half day tours tip $5, for a full day tour tip $10 to a good guide. (I think the AUD is almost equal to the US$, isn't it?)

It's easy!

Quote:
I know there is American power on all Princess ships. I disremember whether there is also European power but I think there is.

Quote:
On embarkation day you can normally begin boarding as early as 11 AM, and should definitely be on board two hours before sailing. In port there will be a time posted but normally half an hour to one hour before sailing. Don't cut it too close! The ship can and will leave without you.

Quote:
Positively NOT. However, it is a very easy and convenient thing to do. Our usual practice is to look at the ship's tours and see if they do what we want to do. Then we research independent tours and see what we can arrange. In some ports we use the ship's tour, in others independent. You can see good examples of this at Grand Princess Mediterranean Cruise Review, Mike and Renée's Greek Isles Cruise 2007, and "Black Sea Cruise 2009"

Some people, especially in Europe, thrive on just getting off the ship and walking, hailing a taxi, or taking public transportation. In most cases this is a little more adventurous than we want to be.

Quote:
My very best advice ... relax, let the crew pamper you, and "play rich"!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Admiral

G'day Flaggies,

We cruised Ruby in the Eastern Med last summer. I echo most of what Mike says.

Ruby began our cruise with an over night in Venice. If that is the case you need to be back on board at least an hour before sail away. The Venice departure is beautiful and you should have a port lecturer narrate as you pass through the canal. I recommend finding a place on the bow - go outside on the Promenade deck and then head forward, you need to go up one deck to hit the point.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014