CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   10 day cruise formal nights (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/383355-10-day-cruise-formal-nights.html)

badknees June 26th, 2011 05:20 PM

10 day cruise formal nights
 
On a 10 day cruise which 2 nights are formal? Emerald Princess Nov. 28.

Fern June 26th, 2011 09:13 PM

Hi badknees, I'm going to "guess" day 2 (maybe day 3) and day 9 will be the formal nights. Usually, the formal night's are on sea days.

This looks like a wonderful cruise! Have a great time!

LisaK June 27th, 2011 10:01 AM

usually your first formal night will be the night of your first full at sea day, and your second formal night will be the night of your last full day at sea

MercedMike June 27th, 2011 11:26 AM

Formal nights
 
Formal nights are scheduled according to the itinerary. As noted above, classically they are the first and last sea days, but that does not always work on every itinerary, and in fact they may change from voyage to voyage. I am not sure but I think on Princess there may be three formal nights on a 10 day cruise ... used to be, anyhow.

Have a GREAT cruise!

green_rd June 27th, 2011 01:15 PM

2 formal nights on a 10-day cruise. Looks like the bump is by the week.Formal Nights

Quote:

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard. See below for an example of formal night schedules based on the length of your cruise.
LENGTH OF CRUISE NUMBER OF FORMAL EVENINGS
1 - 3 DAYS 0
4 - 6 DAYS 1
7 - 13 DAYS 2
14 - 20 DAYS 3
21 - 28 DAYS 4
29+ DAYS 5 MINIMUM

Princess offers formal wear rental on all cruises – this can be arranged prior to embarkation.

MercedMike June 28th, 2011 01:59 PM

Formal Wear
 
And incidentally, although I usually take my tux along, on our last trip (18 days with 4 formal nights on HAL) due to space limitations in the luggage I rented a tux and it worked very well ...

felix_the_cat July 25th, 2011 09:42 AM

There will be 6 of us on this particular cruise. For 4 it will be their fifth cruise and for DH and I second with Princess. We really have decided it's time to move up from RCL.

However to the topic at hand, we will be doing the "dress up" for formal nights as we really enjoying doing so. DH takes his tux and I take a either a long dress or pants and top.

I'm curious, are there many on Princess who don't dress for formal night but even more so, dress completely inappropriately with baseball caps, jeans etc.

Donna July 25th, 2011 09:50 AM

I highly doubt you will be seeing those that don't dress up, at least not in shorts and baseball caps, most enjoy following the dress guidelines for the evening. Always a good time to get that "formal" photo taken..

felix_the_cat July 25th, 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1383250)
I highly doubt you will be seeing those that don't dress up, at least not in shorts and baseball caps, most enjoy following the dress guidelines for the evening. Always a good time to get that "formal" photo taken..


We have so many formal photos. We've done 40 odd cruises and on each and every one I'm sure we have a min. of 2 photos. lol Not that it will stop us for having one's taken on this cruise.

I guess my point is that ppl seem to generally want to follow the guidelines more with Princess than with RCL. (Another reason we have drifted away from RCL.)

RichC July 26th, 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1383246)

I'm curious, are there many on Princess who don't dress for formal night but even more so, dress completely inappropriately with baseball caps, jeans etc.

Not a lot but there are usually a dozen or more at each meal. We are not formal dressers but still like to eat in the dining room on formal nights. We just dress casually with a long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants for myself & my wife wears a dress pair of slacks & fancy top. Most guys will wear a jacket in the DR but it's not enforced very strictly. You're more likely to see the shorts & baseball caps on casual evenings, even though they are not approved.

Kamloops Cruiser August 9th, 2011 10:30 PM

Day 3 if stop at Princess Cay . The second last day before the cruise end.

sistagoldenhair August 10th, 2011 12:59 PM

We have drifted away (temporarily) from dressing up for formal night. It's just a personal choice not to drag the extra outfits / bags /shoes with us. We eat at the buffet those nights. But we do love watching eveyone else in their formal attire having pictures taken and mingling at the lobby bars - almost like red carpet night :)

Enjoy the Emerald Princess - very beautiful and one of my favorite ships so far.

MercedMike August 10th, 2011 02:33 PM

Formal wear
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair (Post 1386425)
We have drifted away (temporarily) from dressing up for formal night. It's just a personal choice not to drag the extra outfits / bags /shoes with us. We eat at the buffet those nights. But we do love watching eveyone else in their formal attire having pictures taken and mingling at the lobby bars - almost like red carpet night :)

Enjoy the Emerald Princess - very beautiful and one of my favorite ships so far.

If others look so nice, think how nice you would look!

So if you don't want to drag extra clothes, rent from the ship. Both men's and women's formal wear are available and reasonable.

:D

Fern August 10th, 2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair (Post 1386425)
We have drifted away (temporarily) from dressing up for formal night. It's just a personal choice not to drag the extra outfits / bags /shoes with us. We eat at the buffet those nights. But we do love watching eveyone else in their formal attire having pictures taken and mingling at the lobby bars - almost like red carpet night :)

Enjoy the Emerald Princess - very beautiful and one of my favorite ships so far.

We're with you! We've "been there, done that" and prefer to eat in the buffet or order room service. We wouldn't think of "invading" the formal dining room on those nights :) !

Kamloops Cruiser August 10th, 2011 10:13 PM

On our 10 Day cruise on the Emerald where not planning on doing formal nights.

Trackypup August 10th, 2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1386527)
We're with you! We've "been there, done that" and prefer to eat in the buffet or order room service. We wouldn't think of "invading" the formal dining room on those nights :) !

Us too. You can usually find us in a specialty restaurant or with a pizza on our deck on formal night.

DeepSpace August 11th, 2011 01:41 AM

You will love the Emerald, we have sailed on her 2x and we never wanted to get off, have a great trip. To formal or not to formal, its your cruise, have your way.

nmnita August 11th, 2011 03:26 PM

thanks for posting this: I was afraid there were going to be 3 formal nights on our 12 day cruise and we are not lovers of formal nights. That is one reason we have started choosing lines that do not have formal dress nights.

Nita

RichC August 11th, 2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1386527)
We're with you! We've "been there, done that" and prefer to eat in the buffet or order room service. We wouldn't think of "invading" the formal dining room on those nights :) !

It's not so much as invading the dining room as going there to get the best selections of the whole cruise. Why miss out on that when it only takes a little dressing up to get it? We've also been there & keep going back for more. :)

nmnita August 14th, 2011 06:17 AM

Let's face it: formal or not is a matter of personal preference. For some, it is part of the entire cruise experience, for others lugging the formal wear for a night or two isn't worth it. We are dressing up mainly cause hubby never gets to wear his tux anymore, it will be a chance, but I am not looking forward to the extra luggage and we can look nice (enjoy the buffet or somewhere else) without being all dressed up. I still might change me mind, we may forget the whole thing and go casual on formal nights or do only 1 of them.

Sistersolo August 14th, 2011 09:53 AM

Certainly, if you don't like dressing up, don't! But if you do, and the extra luggage is the only problem, that's easy. One long skirt, and as many simple but dressy tops as needed, don't take up much room. Granted a man's tux or even suit would be more of a problem, but the solution is to split it --- pack for her, rent for him.

Almost everyone overpacks. If you can learn how not to do that, you'll have plenty of room for formal wear.

badknees November 14th, 2011 02:47 AM

I believe you changed the thead. Naughty, naughty.

Gazelle2 November 18th, 2011 03:52 PM

Interesting Discussions but Perhaps Someone Has Specific Answer
 
We appreciate the advice having to do with "customary" and "usual" scheduling of formal nights having to do with first and last sea days. The caveat that the sceduling of specific formal nights being "itinerary driven", however, makes those comments less than fully satisfactory answers.

What we really want to know is whether anyone with recent experience on the 10-Day Southern Caribbean sailings on the Emerald Princess from Fort Lauderdale can tell us which nights were formal nights on this specific cruise. My guess is that the formal nights will be day three (before landing in Aruba) and day nine (before arriving at Princess Cay.

Thanks in advance ... Gazelle2

RichC November 28th, 2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazelle2 (Post 1401954)
We appreciate the advice having to do with "customary" and "usual" scheduling of formal nights having to do with first and last sea days. The caveat that the sceduling of specific formal nights being "itinerary driven", however, makes those comments less than fully satisfactory answers.

What we really want to know is whether anyone with recent experience on the 10-Day Southern Caribbean sailings on the Emerald Princess from Fort Lauderdale can tell us which nights were formal nights on this specific cruise. My guess is that the formal nights will be day three (before landing in Aruba) and day nine (before arriving at Princess Cay.

Thanks in advance ... Gazelle2

Just returned home from today from the Emerald & I'll post links to the patters in a day or so.
The first formal night was the second sea day sailing to St Thomas and the next to last formal was the sea day before Ft Lauderdale.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1