CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cruise newbie :) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/383378-cruise-newbie.html)

xyz890 June 27th, 2011 05:35 PM

cruise newbie :)

I just booked my first 10-day Alaska cruise with Princess and was wondering if any of you veteran cruisers have any advice. Our rooms are on the Baja Deck towards the back.

Thanks!

Mike M June 27th, 2011 06:30 PM

The best advice I can give you is to pack and dress in layers in Alaska. You can have some fairly wide ranges of temperature during the day and rain is often a part of the day. So pack a waterproof jacket.

I'm not sure what category of stateroom you booked but most of the staterooms are quite similar. If you booked a balcony then others will be able to tell you if your balcony is covered, open or partially covered.

I do hope you did book a balcony for Alaska. It is (IMO) worth it.

Welcome to Cruisemates and have a WONDERFUL time planning for and sailing to Alaska.

Take care,
Mike

xyz890 June 27th, 2011 06:43 PM

Thanks, Mike! We'll definitely pack accordingly. All the balconies were sold out at the time of booking (sort of a last minute plan) thus we'll be staying in interior staterooms.

I've read about a "secret" deck on the Baja Deck in the Sun Princess and was wondering if the Sea Princess has one too!

Snoozeman June 27th, 2011 06:48 PM

Sorry. I have a lot of cruises, including Elite on Princess, but I too am a newbie to Alaska. My first will be next month.

DeepSpace June 28th, 2011 02:53 AM

Welcome "xyz" and I hope your first cruise to Alaska will be great. We also going to Alaska in August, for the second time, and we can't wait. Have fun.

MercedMike June 28th, 2011 03:19 PM

Advice

The best advice I can give you (besides dress in layers) is to read EVERYTHING, both before the cruise and onboard. They tell you all you need to know, but an amazing number of people don't bother to read it!

Then relax, let the staff pamper you, and play rich! ;)

You will do great in an inside cabin, as you want to be out and about the ship and on deck most of the time anyhow. And the money you saved can go for the expensive excursions!

You can check out our 8 cruises to Alaska at
Cruising with the Halls
and some of the many possible excursions at
Alaska Excursions Guide

Have a GREAT cruise!

xyz890 June 30th, 2011 10:10 PM

Thank you all for your responses!

MercedMike: I will be sure to read as much material as possible and pray to retain it! Btw, I checked out your links--looks like you are a lifetime cruiser! I hope we enjoy ourselves as much as you have :D

MercedMike July 1st, 2011 11:52 AM

Have a GREAT cruise! And many more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyz890 (Post 1379053)
Thank you all for your responses!

MercedMike: I will be sure to read as much material as possible and pray to retain it! Btw, I checked out your links--looks like you are a lifetime cruiser! I hope we enjoy ourselves as much as you have :D

Yes, lifetime cruisers would be a good description of us!

I hope that you can indeed have as great a time cruising as we have these many years.

I plan to be sitting in a rocker on the porch of the nursing home saying, "I remember when we cruised to ...."

;)