CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   pack water bottles in luggage? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/383449-pack-water-bottles-luggage.html)

xyz890 June 30th, 2011 08:45 PM

pack water bottles in luggage?

I'm leaving on my first Alaska cruise in Aug and I just want to be sure I am well prepared. I've been talking to a few friends who have been on cruises and they have been advising me to take lot's of bottled water on board (in fact, cases) as Princess Cruises charges for water bottles. This sounded a bit too much to me so I thought I'd run it past you experts. Is this a common practice and does the cruise-line allow it?

Thanks!

Kamloops Cruiser June 30th, 2011 08:50 PM

The water on board great for drinking. I would travel with a couple of bottles and re fill them every day before going ashore.

Trip June 30th, 2011 09:24 PM

Totally agree, you don't have to shlep cases of water. The water onboard is very good. Remember the fees for overweight or extra baggage.

Mike M June 30th, 2011 09:48 PM

If you must take water and if you must fly then you must pack it in your checked baggage.

Rather than that I would:

1. Just bring a couple of refillable bottles and use the ship's water. The "cruise legend" that ship's water is high in sodium is just that. A cruise legend. Softened water has much higher amounts of sodium in it.

2. If you still need to bring water I would take a taxi from the airport and then have the taxi stop at a grocery store and grab some water there. You will be allowed to bring 12 bottles per person on board.

Take care,
Mike

green_rd June 30th, 2011 10:30 PM

Princess does change for bottled water, but as everyone else said the water on board is fine.

xyz890 July 1st, 2011 12:18 PM

Okay, thanks! I'll probably take a couple of bottles. Btw, is the water potable in the cabin or do I have to go to a water fountain, find a glass, fill it up and then pour it into my bottle?

Trip July 1st, 2011 12:46 PM

From your cabin will be just fine. Have a great cruise.

green_rd July 1st, 2011 02:19 PM

The water on the lido deck is colder. If you fill from there you can add some ice. Please use a cup to fill your bottle though.

xyz890 July 1st, 2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1379160)
The water on the lido deck is colder. If you fill from there you can add some ice. Please use a cup to fill your bottle though.

Will do! I'll probably just fill my bottles in my cabin and then put them in the fridge at night :)

Thanks all!!

Kamloops Cruiser July 1st, 2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyz890 (Post 1379138)
Okay, thanks! I'll probably take a couple of bottles. Btw, is the water potable in the cabin or do I have to go to a water fountain, find a glass, fill it up and then pour it into my bottle?

You can fill it in your room. If go to the Horizon Court you can fill it with water or ice tea.

MercedMike July 2nd, 2011 01:03 PM

Filling water bottles

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydozer (Post 1379199)
You can fill it in your room. If go to the Horizon Court you can fill it with water or ice tea.

Especially in this day of norovirus, please do NOT fill water bottles in the buffet. Most lines have a sign posted reminding people of this. This is because the small neck of the bottle encourages you to put it close to the spout and careless people can let the lip of the used bottle touch the spout.

Now of course, none of us are careless ;) and as posted above we might think to use a glass to collect the water and ice and then put it in our bottle, but what about the guy standing behind us? HE is likely to be careless, and seeing us do it will encourage him to shove his bottle up there and leave the virus on the spout.

So PLEASE do not fill your bottle in the buffet. Set a good example.

xyz890 July 2nd, 2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1379323)
Especially in this day of norovirus, please do NOT fill water bottles in the buffet. Most lines have a sign posted reminding people of this. This is because the small neck of the bottle encourages you to put it close to the spout and careless people can let the lip of the used bottle touch the spout.

Now of course, none of us are careless ;) and as posted above we might think to use a glass to collect the water and ice and then put it in our bottle, but what about the guy standing behind us? HE is likely to be careless, and seeing us do it will encourage him to shove his bottle up there and leave the virus on the spout.

So PLEASE do not fill your bottle in the buffet. Set a good example.

Gotcha! :)

huffca August 5th, 2011 10:13 PM

We go to a store close to port. And get a case of water per person. I print extra luggage tags. And bring a roll of clear packing tape. I tape on the tags then go around the case of water and check it through with the luggage.

MercedMike August 6th, 2011 12:12 PM

Bottled water

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffca (Post 1385572)
We go to a store close to port. And get a case of water per person. I print extra luggage tags. And bring a roll of clear packing tape. I tape on the tags then go around the case of water and check it through with the luggage.

The town we live in has a plant that produces those bottles of water.

Each month their water bill for the chlorinated flouridated city water from the tap is $15,000.

They take that water, run it through a few filters, and produce a million bottles of water that sell for up to a dollar each.

Pretty good business!!

But why would you want to buy my local city water and carry it on the ship when the ship itself has such good tested drinkable water?

Tiz a puzzlement.

Kamloops Cruiser August 6th, 2011 12:56 PM

I usually one bottle on board . Used up during embarkation , then fill it up as required when we go ashore. All bars and restaurants service free water.

Why bring cases of water on board , when you don't:confused: know the source of the water ?

huffca August 18th, 2011 12:14 AM

Good question. I usually by the Crystal Geyser. It is supposed to be spring water.

OldFartCruiser August 18th, 2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1379160)

But don't fill from the pool which is on the lido deck. LOL

We always ask our room steward to keep ice water in the cabin at all times and I bring 2 empty water bottles with us. Also have water bottle holders with a strap I carry around my neck (to keep hands free) for when we leave the ship.

OF C'er

DeepSpace August 22nd, 2011 01:59 AM

We always bring a few empty bottles and fill them in the cabin and that works just fine, or just buy a large bottle on the ship and refill it your self.