Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Familiar Face

Default When to book???

Hello!

I had to cancel my Alaska trip and was wondering how early I should book if I want to go in May 2012. As this was going to be my first time on a cruise (which btw was planned and booked kind of last minute) I am very much a novice in the world of cruise traveling and thus seek your expert advice. I won't know for sure if May is a good time for my family and I until late October, but regardless I thought it would be wise to plan in advance and figure out if booking a cruise trip as early as November is a good idea price wise (I've noticed prices fluctuate a lot as the sailing date approaches but am unsure about booking a few months in advance).

As always, your replies are much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have already received in the main brochures from Princess for Alaska 2012..If I was planning on going in 2012, I would book now, the prices were reasonable. I've made the mistake of trying to find one early in the year for that season, and it has already been too late to get a cabin on the ship I wanted. I think next summer I will book for 2013 and really plan ahead.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you, Donna! Just wanted to be sure I wasn't being unwise by booking too early.

I'll most definitely be booking the Sea Princess, any advice on which balcony staterooms I should request?
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi XYZ,
I think as long as you book a balcony, you will be happy. If it is nice, you'll be up on deck whenever you can. If its chilly, you can sit on you balcony. If you are prone to sea-sickness, then middle of the ship is best, you'll feel less moving.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Admiral

I usually book as soon as the cruise I want to go on is available . You can always cancel or change your booking if the dates don't work.
We canceled our Hawaii cruise for 2012 because the friends we travel with sometimes got sick . So have re booked for 2013 instead.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Admiral

love, love the Sea Princess! our deck of choice on Princess is Caribe, try to get a cabin close to the middle of ship, those are the most stable, Dolphin our second choice and then Aloha.
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Captain

After going through a period where deals were abundant it seems we are back to recommending booking as soon as the itinerary you want is released or waiting until the last minute. I have had a lot of luck this past 6 months booking myself and customers as early as possible but for cruisers who are flexible and NOT cabin specific, last minute can be a budget saver.
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Familiar Face

You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by booking as early as possible. You have your choice of cabins, and if your plans change you can cancel before final payment. Just be aware of any cancellation or change fees which might be incurred if you booked with an agency who charges fees for that sort of thing (many don't).:-). We have a cruise already booked on the Island Princess to Alaska for summer 2012, which was a re-booking of the original European cruise. I am famous for not making up my mind!

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Talking Cabin

If you want to pick and choose and book a particular cabin, you certainly want to do so as early as possible.

However, almost all our recent cruises we have booked a minimum guarantee and taken pot luck on cabin location. Most of the time we wind up getting at least a couple of categories upgrade, sometimes a very nice upgrade.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html