Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yeah... I saw the fly-by coming, and going

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Captain

Just another unhappy cruiser using CM to vent. Hope he's feel better.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Drive by posters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Another fly by night poster. Joined Aug 22, posted 3X's on Aug 22, no furthur on line activity.
And here it is Sept 8 and we are still talking about it. It will probably pop up months from now.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Admiral

we as moderators can delete this post if the community would like
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Question Delete drive bys

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
we as moderators can delete this post if the community would like
You all know I don't like drive bys.

But as I noted on another thread, once it is up there don't delete it. The comments which follow can still be valid and meaningful even though the OP is long gone.

We just don't need to beat it to death, either ...

Old September 9th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I agree..like the broken Ipad thread. Let it be.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 9th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Another sign that Princess is heartless is that they keep sending me offers for cruises of which I can not take advantage - positively eveel :evil: :evil:

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
Another fly by night poster. Joined Aug 22, posted 3X's on Aug 22, no furthur on line activity.
wouldn't you think they owe it to readers and themselves to come back and either defend their decision, admit they made a mistake or at best keep people posted one way or the other. I have gotten to the place I disregard these types of posters. It sorta explains why they have problems.

Nita
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Skype™ to ManhattanBeachMike

Sorry for your loss. Did you buy the trip insurance. I do on every cruise for just this reason. Just saying
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Another issue to consider...

People usually think their personal crisis is the only one the cruise line had to deal with for that week. It is a natural tendency to assume you are the only one with a problem. Thus the person thinks 'what's the big deal, it was just a couple thousand dollars to Princess'. The fact is that large entities such as Princess deal with dozens to perhaps hundreds of requests for forgiveness each week. They would soon be out of business if they agreed to move X booking to another week, or to refund Y booking even though it was in penalty phase.

I have always been a strong proponent of having trip cancellation insurance, and to also have emergency evacuation coverage. Trust me, I know how much a medical helicopter can cost for a 15 mile ride from an auto accident to the hospital ($12,000 minimum). Think about the price of a private jet from Cozumel to Miami.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Admiral

If for no other reason, then the medivac portion. the insurance in hand, and peace of mind, is priceless. The cost could, in many cases, devistate a familiy's financial situation.

Last edited by Trip; September 20th, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Admiral

We are about to go on a free cruise and still took insurance; main reason, all the other expenses plus the number 1: needing to be air lifted, God forbid.

Nita
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Nita, I always do the same.

Old September 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are about to go on a free cruise and still took insurance; main reason, all the other expenses plus the number 1: needing to be air lifted, God forbid.

Nita
There are policies available that cover all that stuff EXCEPT trip cancellation. If we take one of those $499 cruises, we might well skip the trip cancellation portion and just take the medical and luggage coverage.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Familiar Face

Default A Different Story From Princess

We're usually Royal C customers, but ports and itinerary on a particular Princess cruise fit our schedule best for this summer. We booked through Princess, were offered Trip Insurance, but declined (we're not stupid - our Credit Card offered free trip insurance).

Three weeks before our cruise date my MIL became hospitalized and it appeared (true, it turned out) that she'd have to enter a nursing home for a while. We weren't in any mood to cruise; the question was, would TI cover us if she was no longer hospitalized by cruise time - no way to know if she would be.

Called Princess on the off chance they might offer a switch to a different cruise. Short and Happy story: they had apparently oversold our cruise, so they not only offered a switch, but gave us upgrades! Princess went above and beyond what we expected.

NO ONE should cruise without trip insurance. As others have noted, you never know what can happen, We got lucky; the OP didn't.
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Familiar Face

It was actually reading posts like this that got me to buy insurance for my cruise. I'm so accustomed to turning down things like extended warranties and the like that I assumed Cruise Insurance would be a waste of money, but after seeing what could happen, I called my TA and got some set up. That was two months ago, and I still do not regret my decision.
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Indigo, I have a similiar story and I had an excellent response from Princess.

I waited until I was 40 years old until I married, and when I did, I married the love of my life. 6 weeks later, my husband had a stroke and died. We were supposed to go to the Eastern Caribbean on Princess. Princess canceled the reservation and returned the money in full without me even asking. I am sorry you had such a terrible experience, but it doesnt always work out that way.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with you. I would not recommend Princess to anyone. They have an attitute and are very difficult to deal with. Its as though they really do not care about anyone but themselves. I also have noticed their food quality is not as good as before. I for one will not be sailing them anymore. By the way I am Elite status with them. You would think after all those cruises they would like to try and make me happy. Nope!
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Familiar Face

Insurance is only when works when the unforeseen happens. But when it does you will be glad you have it. I think it is a good idea for most.
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default Sorry about your lose.

As Princess could have accommodated you but they choice not to. I understand you were not requesting a refund but a re-schedule date. I too am disappointed to hear how they handled your situation. I am a loyal Cruiser and always have enjoyed many Princess cruises but every once in a while they forget the customer. Give them another chance.
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Familiar Face

'By the way I am Elite status' 'Elite' that is loyalty...But it also says we got these people...they love us! Loyalty is old fashion.
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Welcome Newcomer

What a heartbreaking occurrence your wife's loss was. My sympathies to your whole family. Your experience with Princess was totally different that what my family had. We were in Puerto Vallarta when my mother had a very serious accident that required emergency surgery. Due to the fact that we were on a Princess cruise we honestly believe we received far superior care than we would have received if on a land vacation. The hospital was in constant contact with the ship's doctor. We were met at the ship with a wheelchair, and upon arriving at my mother's cabin the ships dietician (?) met with us to discuss my mother's new food needs. We were told they degree of services that had available to us, and if we needed more we would need to consider disembarking at Mazatlan and flying home. We completed the cruise and felt that Princess had gone far beyond what we would have expected. Perhaps the difference was/is that we were already onboard. We only sail with Princess, and since the occurrence we wouldn't consider any other line.
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Admiral

I feel sorry for the grief that was suffered.

Now I have to say that a few years ago my MIL passed away three days before our cruise.
Our travel insurance took care of us, and we got our money back.

Please folks consider trip insurance before you travel

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo5240 View Post
Princess Cruises has no heart. They are all about the money. I would not recommend a Princess Cruise to anyone. My 43 year old sister in law died of a heart attack in my wife's arms 7 days before our Honeymoon cruise to Alaska. My wife's sister was from Germany and we had to take her back home for burial. We asked Princess to reschedule our cruise. Rather than the news being received with compassion and understanding, the standard cancellation policies and timelines were reiterated and “it was too bad”. Not once did I ever ask for a refund. Unfortunately, it seems Princess Cruises could care less about our devastating family loss and Princess Cruises could care less whether we ever joined them on an actual cruise. Rather, it seems they were happy to take our money, hide behind policies and rob us of our honeymoon. I find it truly ironic that Princess Cruises slogan “escape completely” is plastered everywhere on their web site, brochures and company material, yet this horrible customer experience is everything but an escape from the nightmare we’ve been dealing with over the past month. Furthermore, their Consummate Host promotions quote “Courtesy. Respect. Unfailing in Service Excellence.” as being “…not just a motto. It’s our culture.” Please tell me, at any point since July 31, 2011, how Princess Cruises has NOT failed in EACH and EVERY area. DO NOT SAIL ON THE CRUISE LINE THAT ONLY CARES MONEY AND NOT ITS CUSTOMERS.
As almost everyone has said up tp now . That is what you buy insurance for . They have there policies & procedures and they have do have to follow them to be fair with all passengers. They do have to make money for the shareholders and to keep cruise fares lower.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

This doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't recommend that anyone cruise on Princess, either.