Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Angry Princess Cruises has no Heart - It's all about the money

Princess Cruises has no heart. They are all about the money. I would not recommend a Princess Cruise to anyone. My 43 year old sister in law died of a heart attack in my wife's arms 7 days before our Honeymoon cruise to Alaska. My wife's sister was from Germany and we had to take her back home for burial. We asked Princess to reschedule our cruise. Rather than the news being received with compassion and understanding, the standard cancellation policies and timelines were reiterated and “it was too bad”. Not once did I ever ask for a refund. Unfortunately, it seems Princess Cruises could care less about our devastating family loss and Princess Cruises could care less whether we ever joined them on an actual cruise. Rather, it seems they were happy to take our money, hide behind policies and rob us of our honeymoon. I find it truly ironic that Princess Cruises slogan “escape completely” is plastered everywhere on their web site, brochures and company material, yet this horrible customer experience is everything but an escape from the nightmare we’ve been dealing with over the past month. Furthermore, their Consummate Host promotions quote “Courtesy. Respect. Unfailing in Service Excellence.” as being “…not just a motto. It’s our culture.” Please tell me, at any point since July 31, 2011, how Princess Cruises has NOT failed in EACH and EVERY area. DO NOT SAIL ON THE CRUISE LINE THAT ONLY CARES MONEY AND NOT ITS CUSTOMERS.
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Familiar Face

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. This is indeed a very special circumstance. Did you speak to more than person at Princess? Perhaps the rep that you talked to is not a supervisor of any sort and therefore doesn't have any power to override the schedulings. Just my guess.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

First and most importantly, I am sorry to hear of your loss and send blessings to your family for strength during this time of grief.
I would contact your TA and let them step in to assist, and if no TA was used, write a letter to Princess regarding the tragedy that occured and ask that they allow a rescheduling.

As much as it hurts to say this, this is where trip cancellation insurance would have been a benefit to you and perhaps others will learn the importance of it after reading your situation with the cruiseline.

Peace be with you and your family.....

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I actually sent a letter to the CEO and he had someone from customer service (lol) call to say how sorry they are but they will not do anything. Talk about adding insult to injury.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Welcome Newcomer

It was never offered by the TA. Never had a problem with TA before.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It was indeed a TRAGIC situation. And, I too do not want to sound calous, but these situations are why travel insurance is made available... to cover you against the unknown.

While I understand it is much more personal to you (and I do offer my sympathy) I'm uncertain why the cruise line should be held financially responsible for all the bad things that can happen to people and their families which require them to cancel their trips. Again, that is why travel insurance is avaialable (and it's not very expensive).

As Curtis suggested, I might try and contact Princess again through your travel agent, and try and climb the ladder at the cruise line. You may get a more sympathetic ear, with someone willing to override the rules, and judge these things on a case by case basis.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am also very sorry to hear about your problems - however I don't agree that it is the responsibility of the cruise line to cover your own personal hardship - whatever it may be.

You could say the same thing about the bank that holds your mortgage, the funeral home, your utility company, etc. Life happens.

There is such a thing as travel insurance to protect you from such unexpected liabilities. So, while I am very sorry to hear about your loss, I cannot agree with you that the cruise line has a responsibility to take a financial loss when you had the option of buying insurance against such a mishap.

I am sure their feelings were genuine when they said they were sorry - at least they called you to explain the situation. Still I see no reason why they should make an exception just for you - if they did the same for everyone, then there would be abuses and cruises would cost more.

I am sorry and I do not mean to sound uncaring. I hope you have the will and wherewithal to recover in time.

Best regards!
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

You said much better than I could have Paul and your exactly right.

Sometimes life is tough....there are already too many people who do not take responsibility for their actions and look to blame anyone else but themselves.

Sorry for the family loss, but there are many people who have lost a vacation or holiday because of personal tragedy.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My sincere sympathy to you and your family on your tragic loss. I know it seems, why can't they just reschedule you... everyone who has had extenuating circumstances, which prevents them from sailing, wishes just the same. While it's so very personal to you, it's business to the company. Taking travel insurance is there, for these reasons. Every cruise line would be doing the same thing, not just Princess.

Again, I do wish you and yours, my prayers.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; August 22nd, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too, am sorry to hear about your family's loss....also for not getting that honeymoon cruise...Something like this happened to me while on a cruise, we had a death in the family and had to get home ASAP. Since I did take out travel insurance, eventually we got our money back, but not from the cruiseline, their brochure states all the cancellation fee's....

May try calling again and talk to your travel agent and may-be they will switch, although, I would not count on it....Please, again, so sorry for what happened, and please keep us posted....By chance, did you take out insurance, there are many private companies that provide coverage for this type of issue, it isn't something you buy from the cruiseline, although they also have them...

Just another note, all the major cruiseline have the same policy, so it isn't just Princess..

Message Boards Moderator

Last edited by Donna; August 22nd, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
Familiar Face

We are also so sorry to hear of your family's loss and resulting problems. We have had to cancel two cruises within days of sailing. One due to the rapidly declining health of my mother-in-law and the other when my wife had an emergency appendectomy three days from sailing. For the cost of about $300 in insurance we recouped almost $6000. Our TA has standing orders to always take insurance.
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:52 AM
First Mate

Years ago we used to travel without insurance until I realized how much we would have to cover in evacuation costs for an emergency helicopter from the ship. The cost of missing the ship altogether would be small in comparison.
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Admiral

I apologise in advance if I sound hard.

First of all my sincere condolences on your loss.

However, you had a contract with Princess which you broke; therefore Princess are entitled to compensation.

I would go further, I would not allow anyone on board a cruise ship unless they had adequate insurance.

Over the course of a year, this board sees many similar posts.

My puzzle is why don't people buy insurance - trying to save money?

If you can't afford the insurance DON'T CRUISE!

Annie
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Hi Annie,
What you posted is jus so true. We see posts like this all the time and they usually blame the cruiseline and expect to get their moneys back or change dates...The travel insurance is a small price to pay to be covered by any unforseen event that causes a trip to be cancelled, that has nothing to do with the cruiseline. Plus, I stated that, all major lines have the same policy, otherwise it would be nearly impossible to stay in business...When booking a cruise, the travel agent usually sends you info on insurance that they can sell. We all know, there are dozens of different independent travel insurance companies out there.

You just have to read through some policies and find the right one. I have in fact been shopping for some for my next cruise, so far a cost of $183, for two, but all well spent money if something should happen, I would never travel without it, especially when flying, etc....

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Had insurance for a flight, wound up in the hospital, got in touch with the insurance company from the hospital room. Paperwork from Dr's sent to them, got full reimbursement.
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Did they book thru a TA or directly thru Princess. Princess employees represent the company not the passenger. I never travel on a cruise or to the US without extra travel or cancellation insurance . We where going to go to Cuba with my Dad . He broke his leg , our insurance paid for the trip.
We bought insurance for the cruise and airfare right away because our airfare was not refundable.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Captain

Smile

First off sorry about your loss. Of course Princess is all about the money its a business thats why they are around to make money.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Years ago we used to travel without insurance until I realized how much we would have to cover in evacuation costs for an emergency helicopter from the ship. The cost of missing the ship altogether would be small in comparison.
This is SO true - if nothing else, we always have year-round emergency evacuation insurance. We get it through our AMEX credit card.
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Default Annual Travel Insurance Policy

Before I left for my land trip to Croatia, I renewed my annual travel policy, which includes cruising, at a cost of $100 approx.

It is both cheaper and more convenient. If I see a last minute offer I can go without having to think about insurance.

Annie
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I honestly think that for many cruisers, no one has broached the subject of insurance with them. Do people who book with order takers from the cruise lines, get asked if they want to buy insurance,and is it explained what the policies cover,and the ramifications of what will happen if something arises, and it was not purchased? Many may think their own health insurance will cover them in case of an emergency.. for some it might..others, nope.

For some of our first cruises, I never knew insurances existed. There was no Cruisemates for me to turn to.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Before I left for my land trip to Croatia, I renewed my annual travel policy, which includes cruising, at a cost of $100 approx.

It is both cheaper and more convenient. If I see a last minute offer I can go without having to think about insurance.

Annie
where can I get this annual policy I take a minumal of 4 trips a year with insurance being $70 or more per trip. this would be much more cost effective since the price is times two for me and hubby
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
where can I get this annual policy I take a minumal of 4 trips a year with insurance being $70 or more per trip. this would be much more cost effective since the price is times two for me and hubby
I am a UK national and you have to be resident in UK to qualify.

Believe it or not you can purchase an annual travel insurance policy from $50.

I would be very surprised if there was not a US equivalent. I have just visited the Insuremytrip.com web-site and they have a multi-trip option.

Annie
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Admiral

I did not get travel insurance on our first cruise because we were young an healthy. OPs situation shows why no matter what age stuff happens.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

I have always used the rule of thumb that any vacation travel over $1k that could have cancellation possibilities or non refundable costs...... PURCHASE INSURANCE !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
I have always used the rule of thumb that any vacation travel over $1k that could have cancellation possibilities or non refundable costs...... PURCHASE INSURANCE !
I think the actual cost is irrelevant. When you don't purchase insurance you are self insuring.

You can be on a $500 cruise, and find yourself in need of medical assistance, an accident in port, or a medical evacution at sea. Without insurance you're on the hook for BIG $$$$$$$$.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Admiral

I haven't read the responses to your posting, but I can pretty much guess what people are saying. I do offer sympathy to your family on their loss. Death is always a hard thing especially when it isn't expected and the person is in the prime of their lives. Prayers to all of you.

As for Princess, I know, to you, it seems cold and heartless and I will add, on occasssion cruise lines will allow a furture booking credit or part credit, but not always. There is a reason for insurance, You choose not to take it. Do you think if someone has no insurance and dies unexpectly they automatically get some sort of compensation from any company to help them through trying times or if you carry no health insurance, your doctor will say, we understand, let me adjust the cost of the surgery. There is a reason insurance is offered. If cruise lines would open to allowing things like re-booking at a later date, there would be no reason to buy or sell insurance.

Nita
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Admiral

I think today, it is always offered as part of the sales pitch via the cruise line when calling. I am surprised to hear the Op say his TA never offered it. We always do and so does the cruise line. They may not explain it well or push it, but it s mentioned. If indeed it was not, then yes, the Op should discuss this with his agent and ask why it wasn't offered. It might have been offered, but not stressed so he paid no attention.

NIta
Old August 27th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Also for the med evac is a huge reason to take some out, along with missed flights, lost luggage, etc....the list is long....

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Familiar Face

I, too, am so sorry for your loss. Please don't blame Princess, as they have a contract in place to protect both them and the passenger. As for insurance, the cruise line offers it, as do agents. Some people take it, some don't and are willing to take the risk. I am not sure why you were unaware of it's availability to you. If your agent is not fully informing you, please do yourself a favor and find another agent. Please take what you can from the experience and don't let this unfortunate event prevent you from booking another cruise in the future.:-)

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Another fly by night poster. Joined Aug 22, posted 3X's on Aug 22, no furthur on line activity.