Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Crown Princes Cruise to Mediterranean in May

We have booked the 12 Day cruise to the Greek Isles from Venice to Rome in May/2012. We are just counting down the months/days to departure and are SO looking forward to this trip. We have decided, because we will be debarking from the ship in Rome, that we would rent a car and travel for one week back to Venice. We are also thinking the best and cheapest way to travel would be to do Bed and Breakfasts. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay?
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Admiral

We rented apartments for pre and post cruise stays in Venice and Rome, which worked very well for my group of 8. The apartments were more economical than hotels, and were located within walking distances of the major sights. If you are just planning to go from Rome to Venice, you might consider the train instead of renting a car. I wish I was going back with you!! Just back from the 10/9 Star Princess Greek Isle cruise....

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old November 16th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We took this cruise this summer, Rome-Venice. You will love it. And you will definitely want extra time in these two cities. Our mistake was booking our air through Princess, flying in to Rome and out of Venice. We realized about two days in we should have done a Rome round-trip and trained back to Rome from Venice. From what we saw of the roads in Italy (from numerous tour buses) I would have felt quite comfortable driving the highways. Rome itself is perhaps another matter. Venice, well no cars in Venice proper. Wherever you choose to stay, look the establishments up on TripAdvisor for reviews. Have a great trip!
Old November 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Question Rome-Venice

Why not take the train from Rome to Venice? Trying to get a car into Venice is practically impossible.

Be prepared to pay outrageous porterage and transportation prices once you get to the train station in Venice, however. Nothing in Venice is affordable.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Marylin: How come you are going back to Venice but if you do, I'd take the train. Driving in Italy can be hairy especially if on smaller two lane roads. Anyway, the hotel I will stay in in Venice for a few days before the cruise is LOCANDA CA' SAN MARCUOLA. I chose it because it is right on a canal with canal rooms available and close to everything. I purposely end my trip in Rome so I can zoom down to Capri and the Amalfi coast for a few days. Capri is magic. Then back to a few days in Rome before flying home In Rome, check out the web site for the PENSIONE BARRETT. It is the most unique place I have ever seen and very convenient to everything. I did pretty much all these ports in Oct 2008 and
want to repeat them (esp. Santorini & Mykonos) as they are all great. If you have any questions, pop me a line.