CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Diamond Priness Skywalker Lounge: Is it stll there? (eom) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/385090-diamond-priness-skywalker-lounge-stll-there-eom.html)

oriema2002 September 21st, 2011 12:03 PM

Diamond Priness Skywalker Lounge: Is it stll there? (eom)

A response to the above question from a recent traveler would be appreciated.

kandajones September 21st, 2011 01:09 PM

According to the Prncess website, it is still in place, and I would have thought unlikely to be removed as it is mid-ships.

We were on Grand for the first time since Skywalkers was removed, and have to say that it did look rather strange to have the decks extended back with no real purpose any more. I would be really interested to know why the iconic pushbar was removed, was it to reduce the weight, in which case what else was required to maintain the central pivot point of the ship, or were there any concerns over the structure itself. Any insights?

The new One5 on Grand was very pleasant, especially in it's pre-dinner "appertisers / hors d' oeuvres" lounge setup with canapés being prepared right there in the lounge. Such things as Smoked Salmon, Wheel of Stilton, Shrimp fountains, mmmmmm.

Alan & Katrina

Donna September 21st, 2011 01:22 PM

I was under the impression, that they would all be eventually removed. I don't recall the reason for taking them off?? Other than Grand Princess, have not heard if they have done any of the other "Grand" class ships as of yet.

john_galt September 21st, 2011 06:13 PM

I read it was a cost savings move. Evidently, Princess considered it under used and it weighed 150+ tons. There has to be some fuel savings when you shed that much weight!

Fern September 22nd, 2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandajones (Post 1393561)
The new One5 on Grand was very pleasant, especially in it's pre-dinner "appertisers / hors d' oeuvres" lounge setup with canapés being prepared right there in the lounge. Such things as Smoked Salmon, Wheel of Stilton, Shrimp fountains, mmmmmm.

Alan & Katrina

Hi A & K, were the appetiser's/hors d'oeuvres free, or a reasonable price? Sounds yummy!

Kamloops Cruiser September 22nd, 2011 09:46 PM

Skywalker's was removed because of the weight.
On the Grand it was made of steel . On other ships the structure
was made of aluminum. Big savings in overall weight.:cool:

kandajones September 23rd, 2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john_galt (Post 1393597)
I read it was a cost savings move. Evidently, Princess considered it under used and it weighed 150+ tons. There has to be some fuel savings when you shed that much weight!

Hi there John & Doopy, now that makes good sense. Removing a dead weight, no matter how iconic, is always going to keep the bean counters happy. Maybe the lower Skywalkers are also doomed to become history if they are not paying their way or the value of aluminum rockets ;)
Alan.

kandajones September 23rd, 2011 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1393741)
Hi A & K, were the appetiser's/hors d'oeuvres free, or a reasonable price? Sounds yummy!

Good morning Fern, they were free to suite, Elite, and Platinum CC members, with the room being dedicated to those pax for 2 hours each evening.
They also had a reduced price drink to complement whichever nibbles we on offer for the day, and apart from the freshly prepared appetiser there were always 3 differing types of cheese, freshly prepared finger salad (sliced peppers, carrots, etc.), crackers, breadsticks etc.

The same bar staff were always in attendance, so by the second day they were welcoming you in by name, and quickly aware of what drinks you were likely to ask for & how you liked them.
A very nice way to relax & chat either at the sailaways or before dinner.

Alan & Katrina

Fern September 23rd, 2011 08:47 PM

Thanks, K & J! You always have such great info :D!