CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   What Pier is Princess in Puerto Rico? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/385340-what-pier-princess-puerto-rico.html)

Golden1 October 6th, 2011 03:46 PM

What Pier is Princess in Puerto Rico?

Which Pier does Princess use? Can you walk to it if staying in Old San Juan?

john_galt October 6th, 2011 06:31 PM

I was interested in this topic because we are booked on the Grand Princess with a stop in San Juan next April. I logged on to the bridge cam of a Princess ship I knew was going to be in San Juan. She was docked on the airstrip side of the harbor. This is a short taxi ride from Old San Juan. There is always a possibility that your ship could dock on the OSJ side which I believe to be very walkable.

Golden1 October 7th, 2011 10:49 AM

Do you think if I called Princess and asked them right before the cruise that they would know, or is this sort of thing decided when the ship is actually coming into Port?

Snoozeman October 7th, 2011 04:37 PM

Generally they will know well in advance as they have a contract. I was under the impression that Princess DOES use the dock in OSJ.

Donna October 7th, 2011 07:01 PM

I believe they usually use the old navy dock in San Juan, which like a previous poster mentioned, is only a short cab ride. Even if your ship did dock in Old San Juan, you'd need to get a cab to get over there with all your luggage anyway.

If you board early enough, you can always get off the ship and explore Old San Juan before your ship leaves, most leave at 9 or 10 PM anyway, so there is time.

Golden1 October 12th, 2011 05:31 PM

Pan American Pier

I found out that Princess uses the Pan American Pier. It doesnt look like I can walk there from Old San Juan. Does anyone know how much the cab is from Old San Juan to the pier?

I'm kinda bummed because I thought maybe I could walk off the pier on the last day and get one last look at Old San Juan before going to the airport.

Donna October 12th, 2011 07:35 PM

It is only a short ride, can't imagine it costing too much, you just have to cross a bridge, way too long a walk, especially with luggage.

runatasha October 22nd, 2011 05:08 PM

12 USD maximum with baggage for 2 persons (without tips) - tested in February 2011.

Have a look for details here:

Getting Around By Taxi Zones & Fares Explained | Puerto Rico Day Trips Travel Guide

runatasha October 22nd, 2011 05:10 PM

You'll walk too long across industrial and storage area. 15 USD for the ride is realy worth avoiding this stuff)

Golden1 October 24th, 2011 07:51 PM

Wow. Thanks for the info!! Great site! Did you take any walking tours in Puerto Rico? I am thinking about an audio tour. Thanks!

runatasha November 3rd, 2011 07:53 PM

There is information booth somewhere near Sheraton and Carnival Pier in Old San Juan. Staff there provide any kind of touristic info you want. Right next to it there is also a bus stop of "historic bus" (free) which will take you to the major tourist attractions like both fortresses and so on.. However if you don't want to prepaln a lot, audio tour may be a good choice if it's not overpriced of course)

I was in Puerto Rico twice: both in San Juan. I walked there on my own.
If you area good driver, I suggest to rent a car: even a one day trip to the farthest south or east of the island will be worth doing

Bentnail December 2nd, 2011 07:58 PM

Last year we sailed out of San Juan and it was from the Pan America Pier across from Old San Juan. The taxi was around $12 from an OSJ hotel. From what I have heard, if you are sailing r/t San Juan it will be from Pan America Pier and if San Juan is just a port of call on your cruise there is a chance you could dock in Old San Juan (depends on what ships are in port that day). Pan America Pier isn't walkable to OSJ at least I wouldn't.
I would recommend sailing out of San Juan to anyone.
Old San Juan has so much history, a lot ot the things I learned as a child I was able to see it.

Donna December 2nd, 2011 08:02 PM

When I cruised out of San Juan on Princess, it was out of the Pan am pier. When cruising Royal CAribbean, they were docked right in Old San Juan...

Trip December 2nd, 2011 08:15 PM

If you are in old SJ on Saturday, there used to be a local craft fair, set up right by the fountain,and tourist center right by the port. They also have pushcart vendors all along the steet up to the main shopping area of Fortelaza St. Nice leisurely shopping....

Sunday is a different story, with not much open.

Golden1 December 6th, 2011 01:26 PM

Thank you. I will be arriving in PR on Saturday for an overnight stay and then cruise begins 11:00 p.m. Sunday. So, if I am lucky, I will have about a day and a half to explore!