CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Grand Princess to Baltic July 7/12 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/386294-grand-princess-baltic-july-7-12-a.html)

brsinger December 1st, 2011 02:50 PM

Grand Princess to Baltic July 7/12

My husband and I are taking the 14 day cruise to the Baltic region on Grand Princess on July 7/12. Is anybody out there going on this same cruise? We can't wait and are hoping to meet fellow cruisers before sailing time.

Barb

MercedMike December 2nd, 2011 12:28 PM

Baltic

Quote:

Originally Posted by brsinger (Post 1403706)
My husband and I are taking the 14 day cruise to the Baltic region on Grand Princess on July 7/12. Is anybody out there going on this same cruise? We can't wait and are hoping to meet fellow cruisers before sailing time.

Barb

You are going to have a wonderful cruise!

We did that a couple of years ago. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/baltic.html

You will see pictures of the great time we had in St. Petersburg and the company we used for our private tour. We highly recommend them.

brsinger December 4th, 2011 01:41 PM

Hello Mike,

I can't thank you enough for the detailed description of your Baltic cruise and the wonderful pictures that you shared with us. It makes waiting until July that much harder - we are so looking forward to our cruise. We have been considering a private tour in St. Petersburg with Red October tours. Have you heard anything - good or bad- about them? Did you tour on your own in St. Petersburg or did you have other folks in your group? So many other members from Cruise Critic who are on this cruise are already booked for private tours in groups, so we don't know whether to hold out and try to get a group together or to take the tour, just the two of us. This will be our first European cruise and therefore I am a bit apprehensive about setting off on our own with a guide. Any safety concerns I should know about? Again, thanks for your reply and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Barb

MercedMike December 5th, 2011 05:06 PM

St Pete tours

Quote:

Originally Posted by brsinger (Post 1404190)
Hello Mike,

I can't thank you enough for the detailed description of your Baltic cruise and the wonderful pictures that you shared with us. It makes waiting until July that much harder - we are so looking forward to our cruise. We have been considering a private tour in St. Petersburg with Red October tours. Have you heard anything - good or bad- about them? Did you tour on your own in St. Petersburg or did you have other folks in your group? So many other members from Cruise Critic who are on this cruise are already booked for private tours in groups, so we don't know whether to hold out and try to get a group together or to take the tour, just the two of us. This will be our first European cruise and therefore I am a bit apprehensive about setting off on our own with a guide. Any safety concerns I should know about? Again, thanks for your reply and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Barb

Barb --

Red October has a very good reputation and lots of people use them. We choose DenRus because they offered the option of lunch with a Russian family and they were very cooperative about designing the tour exactly the way we wanted it, and understanding my slight mobility limitations. You positively don't want to (really, can't) do St Pete without a guide. The four of us who were traveling together on a private tour was just a right size. Booking with Red October or DenRus for just the two of you will be expensive, but this is such a magnificent port it really makes sense to do it right! Of course if you can find two or four other compatible people to share that helps with the price.

In general, almost any cruise port will offer little in the way of safety concerns AS LONG as you stick with a good guide and stay in the established tourist areas. Some folks are brave enough to go wander about on their own off the beaten path, but not us! ;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

brsinger December 6th, 2011 05:21 PM

Mike - thanks once again for sound advice. After much research, we are going to book with Denrus. I got a very good feeling about them when I went onto their website. We hope to add at least two people to our group to help offset the cost and I liked that they have a sign up site for folks looking to travel together. Hopefully someone from our particular cruise will see the message and hook up with us. If not, we will still book a tour on our own. If you don't mind, I'd like to keep in touch and let you know how it goes. Thanks again - Barb

MercedMike December 6th, 2011 09:34 PM

DenRus

Quote:

Originally Posted by brsinger (Post 1404542)
Mike - thanks once again for sound advice. After much research, we are going to book with Denrus. I got a very good feeling about them when I went onto their website. We hope to add at least two people to our group to help offset the cost and I liked that they have a sign up site for folks looking to travel together. Hopefully someone from our particular cruise will see the message and hook up with us. If not, we will still book a tour on our own. If you don't mind, I'd like to keep in touch and let you know how it goes. Thanks again - Barb

I think you will like Denrus.

The first page of our Baltic cruise

http://www.bully4.us/baltic.html

has our email at the bottom. I would be happy to hear from you!

You are going to have a fabulous cruise, I know!