CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Third Passenger in a Cabin (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/386475-third-passenger-cabin.html)

donaldsc December 11th, 2011 11:49 PM

Third Passenger in a Cabin

We are planning to take our 10 year old granddaughter on an Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess. I want to book an outside cabin and have her sleep in the pull down bed but my wife says that there will not be enough room, the bed will be uncomfortable and she will have to climb down on top of us when she needs to get down at night.

The wife wants to book a minisuite which costs about $1500 more. We can do a lot of excursions for $1500.

I am looking for feedback who have done 3 in a cabin. Did it work? Was it crowded? If anyone has any pictures of the cabin arrangement, it would be great.

I can send my e-mail to anyone if it helps.

Thanks

DON

Mike M December 11th, 2011 11:56 PM

If your 10 year old doesn't mind sleeping on a pull out couch you should have no problem with a standard cabin.

If you can get a quad cabin then you will get a pull down bunk bed and these are usually more comfortable than a pullout couch and leaves more room in the cabin.

I would ask your TA to try and get a quad cabin.

The mini-suite is nice but for $1500 I would go with a regular, quad, balcony cabin.

Take care,
Mike

Queen of Diamonds December 12th, 2011 04:23 AM

We always cruise 3 to a room (inside and outside rooms) and never had a problem with beds, in fact they are all very comfortable. The 3rd bed usually pulls down from the ceiling and there is a ladder of course,to get down. How often does a 10 yr old get up during the night?
The only time we had a sofa bed for the third was with a balcony room.
I'm with you, I much prefer to spend the difference on excursions etc

kandajones December 12th, 2011 08:59 AM

We've even had 4 in the room, and whilst it did get rather cosy it was never an issue.

I would guess if your 10 yr old granddaughter is like any other 10 year old, then she is going to love sleeping in the upper bunk.

The one tip I would offer is to, and check with her first, move the ladder each night to the end of the bunk. The steward will make the room up with the ladder coming down between the other 2 beds, which can get in the way for those on the lower bunk.

But apart from that, go for it, and I'd put money her preferring the bunk, and that spare cash can give you some great toours.

Alan & Katrina

MercedMike December 12th, 2011 09:13 AM

Third bed

Some years ago we took our daughter to Alaska with us in a pull down top bunk. It worked great and she loved the bunk. The steward lowers it at night and puts it away in the daytime. Honestly, a kid that age does not worry too much about the comfort of the bed. The novelty of the top bunk makes up for it!

You do have to think about organization. It worked well for me to get up and dressed and go sit by the desk while Mom and the kid got ready.

A minisuite is a luxury but I really would spend the money on other things instead! All you really do in the cabin is sleep and shower.

Have a GREAT cruise!

LisaK December 12th, 2011 09:27 AM

Mini-Suites are nice, the extra sleeping space,having a couch instead of barrel chairs, floor space, larger bathroom and closet space is really nice. Not to mention the balcony space. I would double check the price difference that seems like a lot. Three in a quad-room is doable, it just takes time and space management.

Lakers Fan December 12th, 2011 09:28 PM

We met a family of 3 on our last cruise who had an inside cabin and they were not lacking for space .