Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Accomodation amentities

We are booked on the Star Princess to go to Hawaii out of SF this coming spring. We booked the St. Lucia suite B 751. My question is what are all the amenties we receive that we would not get in a regular balcony? I know it says laundry services, does that mean they only do dry cleaning or do they do all clothes? And it says internet is included. Does this ship have wireless, should I take my own laptop to use in our suite or in the cafe? Or do we use theirs? And my last question, the insurance is $900 I would like to know if most people get it or not? That's a lot of money if you don't use it.
Thanks everyone in advance for any info you can give me on these questions.
Linda
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

YEs, the cost for the insurance seems way high. Did you price around and see, is this through the cruiseline??

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Admiral

That Insurance seems very high, in the UK standard type insurance would be 100/200 for the family for a year multitrip. The suite concerned is probably that same on all Grand class ships Aft/Starboard, good wrap around balcony.
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Ouch $900 does seem very high, unless of course it covers a group of you, or there are underlying medical conditions. However there is no way I would ever travel without it (besides it being a requirement of passage in the UK) as I would dread to think of how much an emergency evac, or repatriation could cost from either the ship or some of the islands.

For your other questions, I cannot comment on the additional Suite benefits, but can advise on the laundry, where they will if you require even clean & press your 'undies', hankies, socks etc. and wifi where (on the grand at least) you could use your own laptop, and it simply ticked down your allowance as if you were in the internet cafe using their PCs.
I can't imagine Star being much different - but no doubt someone will know for sure. WiFi was a bit patchy on Grand, so you may need to move around to find the best signals.

Have a fantastic time,

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Do not purchase your insurance thru Princess, go to Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com. If the amenities state laundry service, thats washing your clothes, i think it might not include dry cleaning, that would be something to ask your travel agent.
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM
First Mate

The insurance they quoted is outrageously high. Using Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com and entering $0 for the trip cost will buy the insurance for around $100. My only concern when traveling is emergency evacuation from the ship. I can absorb all else but a charge of $25K is a little more than I want to have to pay.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
The insurance they quoted is outrageously high. Using Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com and entering $0 for the trip cost will buy the insurance for around $100. My only concern when traveling is emergency evacuation from the ship. I can absorb all else but a charge of $25K is a little more than I want to have to pay.
Rich -- when you enter $0 as your trip cost, how does the insurer know how much they are covering? Not sure if I just made sense...but what I'm trying to ask is why you wouldn't type in the real costs, i.e. $1,500 or whatever the true costs are???

To the OP, we ALWAYS purchase travel insurance, but never through the cruiseline as others have said. We've had to use it 3 times -- totally destroyed luggage by a cruiseline's luggage valet service, at the medical center for hydrocortisone, and for a canceled excursion reserved through a local tour company.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Admiral

If the insurance includes trip cancellation or interruption.
The cost could be that high. Suites on Princess aren't cheap . Insurance especially trip cancellation is based on the cost of the cruise fare.
Higher the cruise fare higher the premium . Also age affects the medical
premium , when I turned 60'ish our medical cost went about 150$ just for me.It didn't depend on the insurance company but it seemed to be a industry standard.

WiFi is usually good in only a few spots on the ship. When you get on board ask the IT manager or Passenger services if WiFi is available in the cabin. As ships go thru dry dock the WiFi is being improved with better coverage.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess

Last edited by Kamloops Cruiser; December 30th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlGrl View Post
Rich -- when you enter $0 as your trip cost, how does the insurer know how much they are covering? Not sure if I just made sense...but what I'm trying to ask is why you wouldn't type in the real costs, i.e. $1,500 or whatever the true costs are???

To the OP, we ALWAYS purchase travel insurance, but never through the cruiseline as others have said. We've had to use it 3 times -- totally destroyed luggage by a cruiseline's luggage valet service, at the medical center for hydrocortisone, and for a canceled excursion reserved through a local tour company.
Which travel insurance company do you use?
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Some of the major companies to consider are: Travel Guard, Access America,and CSA, Travel Protection,and there are different levels of coverage within these choices. Make sure all your pertinent info is included in your request for a quote, like pre exisiting conditions, etc.

The price sounds very high for a 7,10, 14 day cruise....I would think it would have to be a cruise of a much longer length to quote a price like that.

I also think, to get a medevac off a ship at $25,000, would be a bargain.

Insuremytrip allows for side by side comparisons,which is very helpful.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Some of the major companies to consider are: Travel Guard, Access America,and CSA, Travel Protection,and there are different levels of coverage within these choices. Make sure all your pertinent info is included in your request for a quote, like pre exisiting conditions, etc.

The price sounds very high for a 7,10, 14 day cruise....I would think it would have to be a cruise of a much longer length to quote a price like that.

I also think, to get a medevac off a ship at $25,000, would be a bargain.

Insuremytrip allows for side by side comparisons,which is very helpful.
There was a Medivac off a cruise on the north end of Vacouver Island. The estimated was over. 50K. If youhave to be medivaced off ashil in mid ocean . I would hate to see the final bill ???????????

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess

Last edited by Kamloops Cruiser; December 30th, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Admiral

DD...I can't even imagine sailing without insurance..the peace of mind is priceless...if a health situation warrants a medivac, that's stressful enough.

Old December 31st, 2011, 01:22 AM
Familiar Face

Default Star is Great!

After reading I am sure most every other reply has answered your main questions. I wanted to tell you something different.
Star is a beautiful ship and has GREAT FOOD! Enjoy it as we certainly did. And with a balcony suite who wouldn't.
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you everyone for your help. I will get the insurance as suggested. I have on all of my other crusies except for the last one which was a gift cruise, and it was to Mexico out of SD.
We are going to Hawaii out of SF and we live locally so won't be flying, will that make the cost of insurance cheaper?
What about if you get sick and need to see the ship doctor for a minor illness, nothing serious that would need to be medivaced out, just a typical illness. Does the insurance pay for that? Sea sick meds or maybe anti-naseausa meds.
Old December 31st, 2011, 05:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If you should get sick, your regular insurance will pay, then any balance or unpaid portion, the travel insurance will cover.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 31st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Admiral

GM, Bring along some over the counter meds from home,,,cold, cough, anti diarrea, etc...it will there for you if needed and you will avoid the high prices onboard,and, the chance they will sell out....I have been there and done that, and with the help od someone in our group, I got what I needed.[bless them]

Have a wonderful cruise,and enjoy your wonderful suite.