Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Princess pricing?

Hi, although I'm a newbie here, I have a fair bit of cruise experience, but I'm out of touch with pricing policies. I used to cruise Princess most of the time, but then got involved with Carnival and used their early saver program, saving a lot of money by booking early, then either getting refunds or OBC's.

When we used to cruise Princess, we used UK TA's and paid early as we were travelling at peak times and had to book a year in advance to get cabin of choice.

Now we have found out we can book online with Princess, paying Sterling, or use a USA TA for much better prices, but don't know whether or not is advantageous to book several months in advance or to wait for bargains.

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Are posters allowed to recommend TA's on this site?

What is the advantage of using 'tags'?
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Hi Tim, and welcome to the board, hope you find it very useful.

Most of the guys on here are from all around the world, so are a great source of not only gebneral info, but also desitination specific. There are also a few of us from the UK.

When it comes to 'best time to book', as I am sure you have noticed, there are no hard fast rules, we normally adopt the approach of when we see a price that we like, we grab it, then stop looking at prices for that cruise. Sometime ignorance can be bliss

The only thing I would warn about booking via a non-UK based/registered TA is that you may not be covered in the event of collapse of a company. I am guessing it is HIGHLY unlikely whe using a company that size of Carnival, but if you were to take up fly cruise you may find yourself on a flight that suddenly no longer exists, and ABTA/ATOl won't be available to you.

2 other notes as heads-ups.
If you book Princess again, watchout for their pricing of tours, they are fluid prices now, so the earlier you book potentially the cheaper the tour.
If you book a specific cabin on P&O, make sure you ask NOT to be on the upgrade list. Their policiy changed mid-2011 so that even if you booked a specific cabin, they have the right to move you to another cabin even if it is only one category higher, not one grade higher. We had a hell of a fight to move back to our chosen OG from the totally unsuitable OD cabin that 'they' considered to be an upgrade !! We still consider a Grade to be inside/outside/balcony/suite etc.

Hope you have many hours of fun on this site & look forward to hearing of your future plans.

Alan & Katrina
and : Royal Princess August 2015

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey