Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default St. Maarten-Circle Island Tour and Orient Beach Break

I am going on a Princess cruise in April. I have booked the Circle Island and Orient Beach Tour through Princess. However, it sounds as though it only drives through Marigot and doesnt stop for any shopping. Not even a half hour. So, I am thinking about changing this and taking Bernard Tours instead, which has excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.com. Our ship comes in later than Bernard Tours generally start. They said they will make exceptions and work around the later arrival, but I am worried about getting back to the ship on time. I am also worried about having less of a history/site seeing tour with Bernard. Can anyone chime in on this Princess Excursion and give me their opinion? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razz:
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2012, 07:19 AM
First Mate

I think you might be better off just renting a local cab driver to take you to Orient Beach first & have him come back at a certain time to then take you shopping in Marigot. It'll let you tailor your day to what you want to do & if you can get another couple on the ship to split the expense, all the better. Just pay for the portion of each segment of your trip after he drops you off and he'll return to get you knowing he has a guaranteed fare later in the day since he knows if he doesn't you'll just take another cab & he'll lose out.
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We've done an island tour here, many times, always just by walking off the ship, and, hiring a tour with others. You get a running comentary, and photo op stops.

One cruise, we exiited the tour in Marigot, had lunch on the water,and just cabbed back.....very easy. Shopping on the French side is high, as one would expect, but, therei s a little flea/craft market to shmooze.

To my mind, Orient Beach, is not worth trying to fit it in your day...Not a pretty beach at all...if you feel the need to beach it,and it fits into your shortened time there, maybe, check out Dawn Beach.

I will be there again in March,and I always enjoy my time there...have a great time.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; January 6th, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Admiral

My mistake was listening to my wife & spending all day wandering around shops. Don't do that!
Old January 6th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
My mistake was listening to my wife & spending all day wandering around shops. Don't do that!
Oh no! I don't want to shop all day! lol. I just want a little variety. I want a tour and history of the island and then some beach and shopping time. I would like to see a little bit of Marigot because I've heard its the nicer side. I do not want to just drive past it without stopping.
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
To my mind, Orient Beach, is not worth trying to fit it in your day...Not a pretty beach at all...if you feel the need to beach it,and it fits into your shortened time there, maybe, check out Dawn Beach.

I will be there again in March,and I always enjoy my time there...have a great time.
We always considered Orient beach was the best one but I'll give Dawn a try next time.
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Rich my pov is strictly esthetic....I thought it was not a pretty beach, as so many other Caribbean Beaches are. I think the popularity of going to a nude beach might have someone's eyes focused on other things there

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 27th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Familiar Face

We have been to St Martin many times. We always rent a car.You can go to Orient Beach. The Island is an easy drive. We enjoy the french side for the calm beaches. You will have plenty of time for shopping too. If you are there for the day you should not worry about missing the ship. There are car rentals close when you arrive. Have a great time!