Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Familiar Face

Default British Isles

We will be taking a 12 day cruise around the Br. Isles next May/June on board the Caribbean Princess. Did anyone take this cruise this summer? Can you tell me what the cost was for a transfer from the ship to the cities and if the 'hop on hop buses' were a fair price in Dublin. I got some excellent info in the past from a gentlemen that was on a smaller size Princess ship and didn't know if things were different with a larger ship. It appears that most ports we are quite a distance from the main cities. Any info you can give me will help in our planning. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Familiar Face

We did this trip on the Golden Princess a couple of years back. My mind is a bit fuzzy on cost details but here goes. You are right about the cities being far from the ports. You will dock in industrial areas most of the time. If Kirkwall and South Queensferry (Edinburg) are on you itinerary these are tender ports. Princess does arrange for shuttles into town. At LeHarve it is a very long trip to Normandy or Paris. We choose the Princess tour to Normandy and it was an all day adventure. Hope this helps a bit.
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Familiar Face

We will be on the 8-day Ireland/Scotland cruise on the Ocean Princess in August and will be booking the HoHo bus tour in Dublin. I forget what the cost is but we will see a lot more for much less than anything the cruise line can offer. Yes, you are right about the large distances from the ports, and I am still exploring all the options - trains, cabs, transfers and private tours. In Glasgow, we are taking a private Highlands tour picking up at the ship, and in Edinburgh, we are taking the ship's ride to the Edinburgh Tattoo, which happens to fall during that week. On our itinerary, that leaves Waterford and Guernsey, and hoping that a cab will be economical.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2005 ~ Caribbean Princess
2003 ~ Carnival Imagination
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:43 AM
First Mate

We have always wanted to take this cruise. What is the best time of year to take this cruise?
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Familiar Face

Weather-wise, probably July is warmer, though rain, clouds and cool weather can happen any time. In other words, be prepared for anything.. Air fare and cost of precruise accommodations could also be a determining factor. Europe is generally more expensive in the summer, even more so this summer with the Olympics in London.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Familiar Face

Depending what you want to do in Guernsey I have some info. You'll tender into St. Peters Port. This looks to be a cute little town to walk around in. There is an old fort as well as a wonderful old church. We're only there until 2pm and is our first stop after leaving London. We try to take it a little easy the first day as we're still trying to adjust to losing 8 hours sleep on the way over. Hope is helps.
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
Depending what you want to do in Guernsey I have some info. You'll tender into St. Peters Port. This looks to be a cute little town to walk around in. There is an old fort as well as a wonderful old church. We're only there until 2pm and is our first stop after leaving London. We try to take it a little easy the first day as we're still trying to adjust to losing 8 hours sleep on the way over. Hope is helps.
We will probably do the same, although my DH will probably want to see the underground hospital and the military museum. I think it all depends how jet lagged we are.

2010 ~ Emerald Princess

2008 ~ Norwegian Dream
2002 ~ Grand Princess
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
We will be taking a 12 day cruise around the Br. Isles next May/June on board the Caribbean Princess. Did anyone take this cruise this summer? Can you tell me what the cost was for a transfer from the ship to the cities and if the 'hop on hop buses' were a fair price in Dublin. I got some excellent info in the past from a gentlemen that was on a smaller size Princess ship and didn't know if things were different with a larger ship. It appears that most ports we are quite a distance from the main cities. Any info you can give me will help in our planning. Thanks.
Topher, have you decided on a date? We are on the May 26th sailing and have a Roll Call forming both on Princess' Facebook page and here:
Cruise Critic Message Boards
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
To answer your questions:
It's $50/pp each way for Princess' bus to take you from Heathrow or Victoria Station in London to the ship.

HOHO buses seem to be roughly 15-20 pounds per person. People said the green bus in Dublin was the best.
You can take trains into the city for way cheaper than the ships excursions. Cities that need trains are Paris (2-hour high speed train), Cork (15 minute train), Edinburgh (15 minute train) and Inverness (20 minute train).
Disney Magic ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ 4/28/07
RCCL Vision ~ Alaska ~ 5/19/06
Star Princess ~ Mexican Riviera ~ 1/13/03
Old April 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sail 7th June first stop Guernsey 7 am - 2 pm tender, almost guaranteed a day at sea