CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   jeans? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/387065-jeans.html)

xyz890 January 14th, 2012 09:19 PM

jeans?

Hello all! I am trying to get a head start on preparing for my 10-day Alaska cruise and would like to know if it's alright to wear jeans on the cruise. In general, any suggestions on cruise wear are appreciated!!! Thank you in advance :D

Mike M January 15th, 2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyz890 (Post 1409849)
Hello all! I am trying to get a head start on preparing for my 10-day Alaska cruise and would like to know if it's alright to wear jeans on the cruise. In general, any suggestions on cruise wear are appreciated!!! Thank you in advance :D

During the day and on shore jeans are perfectly appropriate and actually a good thing for Alaska.

The key to an Alaska cruise and when you go ashore is to dress in layers. Have on a t-shirt, sweat shirt and then a jacket. Also, carry rain gear or a water proof poncho with you when you go on shore. The inside passage area is rainy and you can have showers and rain at any time.

For dinner you would wear the suggested dress.

Take care,
Mike

johnthed0g January 15th, 2012 05:21 AM

As Mike says, during the day wear what you like, in the evening go with the dress code.

Lakers Fan January 15th, 2012 08:51 AM

In 2008 I cruised Alaska and wore jeans at all times except evenings on the ship.

deloreangirl February 10th, 2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1409906)
In 2008 I cruised Alaska and wore jeans at all times except evenings on the ship.

Same here. It was actually a bit warm when we went (May) but jeans were perfect. I brought black pants for dinner on some nights (only if it was in the main dining room.)

Trackypup February 10th, 2012 02:22 PM

I've seen tons of jeans on Alaska cruises and at dinner on non formal nights. Jeans are not an issue on Princess. Just keep in mind that if you wear them for wet shore excursions, they're going to take a very long time to dry and will be heavy. Lighter waterproof material might be better.

Everyone has an opinion on jeans at dinner, but the cruise line is absolutely fine with them on non-formal night. Enjoy Alaska, it's beautiful

ruthlessboss February 10th, 2012 02:26 PM

I think Alaska cruises are a bit more lenient with dress code due to luggage weight restrictions on the airlines. Those ports are mostly fly-in cruisers. That compounded by the difference in clothing to stay warm. It's not like doing a Caribbean cruise where only light weight clothing is needed.

RichC February 11th, 2012 12:54 PM

That's all my wife & I wore on casual evenings & after dinner on formal night in Alaska. They're comfortable & acceptable in any of the restaurants, Specialty restaurants included even on formal nights.

topher February 12th, 2012 05:39 PM

I know it will probably irritate some but I really don't like to see jeans in the dining room for dinner. They are fine for during the day but how hard it is to pack a pair of khaki slacks to wear for dinner. They take up less room, weigh less than jeans and certainly look a whole lot better. The other thing I'm seeing more of is men how don't have the manners to take off their hat during dinner.

Princess Mich March 5th, 2012 02:08 PM

Wear whatever you like. You paid for the cruise, and no one should tell you what to wear. Enjoy Alaska!

LisaK March 16th, 2012 11:36 AM

i hate to disagree with you, but there is a dress code, and have seen the Maitre D enforce it on Princess

Lakers Fan March 16th, 2012 12:06 PM

I've witnessed it be mandatory on both HAL and Cunard .

RichC March 17th, 2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK (Post 1420907)
i hate to disagree with you, but there is a dress code, and have seen the Maitre D enforce it on Princess

And that does include jeans in any dining room and all parts of the ship on casual evenings which was the original question by the OP. Princess takes the stand of not wanting to offend anyone even if they should wear something that doesn't quite come up to their suggested dress code and at times is even a bit to lenient. ie. shorts in the DR at dinner.

Thoth May 14th, 2012 11:28 PM

Don't worry about me showing in jeans for dinner, I didn't do it on Carnival, I certainly didn't do it on HAL, and I respect everyone enough to not dress that way on Princess. :wink: First time on Princess this September. I will however be wearing cargo pants that is ! That and my ball cap. On shore...that is...not to dinner.:p