Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Caribbean Princess Propulsion problems

It appears that the Caribbean Princess is headed back to San Juan after staying overnight in St Maarten due to propulsion issues.

Lots of rumors on facebook right now regarding the length of time to fix and the compensation offered to current passengers. Someone said passengers will receive a full refund and be allowed to stay onboard until Sunday and use the ship as a hotel and then they can take their regular flights back.

My guess is they will assess the situation once they get back to San Juan and determine what to do about future cruises (and current passengers).

No official word from Princess yet except for what people say the reps are telling them when they call.

Edit:
Someone posted a letter delivered to staterooms indicating they are allowing passengers to stay onboard in San Juan until Sunday, offering a full refund plus a credit towards a future cruise. For those on a B2B or sailing 3/18, they hope to know more tomorrow after they assess the damage.

Last edited by hockeynut; March 13th, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Captain

Doesn't Carnival operate Princess?

What is going on with this line?
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, Carnival does operate Princess as well as Costa. They are not having a good year between this, Noro, the Carnival propulsion problem earlier in the week, the fire on the Costa ship, and the incident with the Concordia.

Within the past few weeks, 3 different ships have had serious engine problems. It makes you wonder why. Is it lack of maintenance? Something with the design of the engine? Something that is a result of a dry dock?
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
Doesn't Carnival operate Princess?

What is going on with this line?
Yes, Princess is owned by the Carnival Corporation.

This year we have had more incidents on ships than usual. At least propulsion problems are not life threatening.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 3/18 and 3/25 sailings canceled

Repairs needed are extensive enough that the passengers onboard need to be off the ship by Sunday.

They are also cancelling the the 3/18 and 3/25 sailings. They are offering those passengers affected by this a full refund, plus a 25% credit towards a future cruise. They are also refunding air fare.

News Article : Princess Cruises

Hopefully they get it fixed by the 4/1 sailing.
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Hockeynut, thanks for the info.

As ships keep on cruising day after day, things are bound to wear out.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Let's hope they have it fixed for my cruise in June around the UK
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Ouch!!!

Not good for Carnival Corporation. I just saw that the Carnival Liberty is going to be late getting into Miami and that they "may" have that problem fixed on the 17th.

I feel for the guests who are inconvenienced by this and the Princess problem sounds far worse than the Carnival Liberty's.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am due to leave on Caribbean Princess on April 8th out of Puerto Rico. I am not a regular cruiser, so I do not know about the norm of these things. Do you think this will be fixed by the 8th? If worse comes to worse, I will spend a few days in PR instead. But, I would like to know sooner rather than later if this will be the case. Thoughts and opinions are welcome!!
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

While this isn't "normal", things do happen and ships do have mechanical issues from time to time (a Carnival ship is having a similar issue...although that one seems less severe).

From the article, it seems like they identified the problem and know the parts that need to be ordered to resolve the issue so they probably have a good idea of the timeline required to fix the issue considering they canceled the next 2 cruises.

If I was on the 4/1 sailing, I would probably be worried in case something else comes up or there is some other delay that causes an issue as that would be the next cruise impacted by this. If I was on the 4/8 sailing, I would be less worried as they have several weeks to fix a problem that has been identified but anything is possible. Obviously Princess wants to fix this issue as quickly (but properly) so they don't have to cancel any more cruises.

I would just check the Princess website under News and Announcements for updates as it gets closer. I'm sure they'll post an update shortly after 3/25 as the 4/1 cruisers will need to know.
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback. My girlfriend, who cruises all the time, reassured me quite a bit. She said, "believe me, the cruise lines don't want to lose the money, so they will have the ship in the water as soon as possible." So for now, no worries!:-D

Please do keep us posted!
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Caribbean Princess repairs have been completed. They took it out to sea yesterday and it was cruising at close to max speed so thats good news for anyone on the 4/1 and future sailings. It is still at sea headed for San Juan.

Boarding on 4/1 is on schedule and there are no plans to chagne the itinerary.