Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Captain

Smile MV Sea Princess formerly Kungsholm lives on

I'm sure that many of you may already know this, but I also know that many people have fond memories of the ship as Sea Princess, so I thought that I'd share a discovery I made earlier today, which made my day as she (as P&O Victoria) was our first ship.

Having left P&O Princess in 2002 for the ill fated Holiday Kreuzfahrten, her future looked doomed as cruiseline after cruiselne chartered her pending the 2010 SOLAS rules.

After that there was hope that she would return to Gothenburg as a floating hotel, but agreement with the authorities could not be reached & her future looked bleak.

She remained opertaional until October 2010 when the SOLAS rules came into affect, and most of us expected her to be broken up for scrap at Alang. Then as the curtains drew, an offer came in from Daewoo Shipbuilding of Oman. I was delighted :eek: to realise today that their bid was accepted, and our ship is now a floating hotel in Duqm, Oman under the name of Veronica.
They spent a year renovating her, and opened for business in November 2011 with a 5 year plan.

There are several internal shots of the old girl at Oman's First Floating Hotel - Veronica Duqm she looks great. There are links at the top of the page to various aspects of the ship, and at the bottom of the page is a link called Slide Show - JonDesign's SmoothGallery demo

When I looked, I had to click on the right hand side of each photo to move the show along the 34 pics, but thoroughly enjoyed seeing her looking good, and still in service :-D

I also found that there are plans for each of the decks with more photo's. They can be found from Veronica Duqm | Deck Plan -Emerald, Duqm, Oman to /deck/10.htm inclusive.
Again, they seem to have retained a lot of names around the ship that will hopefully bring back happy memories.

Hopefully someone else will enjoy it, and I'm not the only sad person on the site ;o)

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+1), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam
Sponsored Links