Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default Question about Upgrades

We are sailing in 59 days and are hoping for an upgrade. Does anyone know at what point of time Princess does these? Didn't know if it was literally last minute or it they are done a month or two out. We have our fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It could be any time or not. Just keep checking your Princess personalizer and if there is a cabin change, it will show there first. By chance, did you book a guarantee cabin catagory? Sometimes, you have a better chance for an upgrade by booking this way.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default upgrades

Yes just keep your fingers cross, what can one say when it comes to being upgraded. WHO REALLY KNOWS.
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Question Upgrades

While upgrades most often come, as Donna says, in the two month time span before sailing, I have seen them given six months out, and I have seen people who receive an upgrade at the check in desk. Tiz a puzzlement.

The best theory is that the reservations department of any cruise line is a large room, full of eager young representatives with powerful computers, messing around with cabin assignments. Their principal function is to make Travel Agents tear their hair out and to say NO to upgrade requests. However, over in the corner is a rickety old desk with an obsolete computer system and a rotary dial phone. It belongs to an elderly clerk who is usually out on sick leave. But when she does come into the office, occasionally she lays her knitting down on the keyboard and it strikes a random key which gives an upgrade, sometimes a wonderful upgrade, to somebody. She is known as the UPGRADE FAIRY, and no living human being has any idea how she chooses the reservations that she touches with her magic. The best thing to do is to book a guarantee for a category that you will be fully satisfied with. If you wind up in that category be happy and enjoy your cruise. And if ... just IF ... the Upgrade Fairy touches you, then congratulate yourself that you are one of the lucky ones.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the input. I did book a cabin that we'll be more than happy with - just in case the upgrade fairy decides to take some time off. We're about 58 days out but will still keep tabs on the cruise personalizer.
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Captain

Check and see how many cabins are still available, if there are many near your category an upgrade is more likely. I did hear that upgrades are based on loyalty so if someone has sailed princess 30 times they get upgraded first if youve been 20 times if you booked the same category of course.

Not sure they all work the same but what I've heard and seems to be logical.
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default upgrads

I sail with a couple who tells me that they get upgraded all the time, it comes from their TA.
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Question Upgrade fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
Check and see how many cabins are still available, if there are many near your category an upgrade is more likely. I did hear that upgrades are based on loyalty so if someone has sailed princess 30 times they get upgraded first if youve been 20 times if you booked the same category of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppadock
I sail with a couple who tells me that they get upgraded all the time, it comes from their TA.
The mysterious ways of the upgrade fairy are full of rumors. Here are some that float around:

Those who have sailed the most
First time cruisers, to encourage them
The ones who booked earliest
The ones who paid the most for the same category cabin
The ones whose TA does the most business
The ones whose TA is the most persistent in calling
The ones whose TA has completed the cruise line's special courses
Those traveling together with others
Those traveling alone
Those who booked on a guarantee
Some mysterious and unknown formula that weights all these ideas together in some way

So who knows? The knitting falling on a random key makes as much sense as anything.

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default upgrades

Mercedmike, For the most part I do agree with U. Good luck to anyone who is looking for an upgrad
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppadock View Post
If a TA tells you that they get upgrades all the time they are not telling you the truth, they are paying for the upgrade, or they are booking a "inside, outside, or balcony guarantee and considering that whatever cabin is assigned is an upgrade.

I spoke to a couple on Carnival that said they always receive an upgrade. I asked how that was possible. Their response was: We book a balcony guarantee. This time we we're upgraded to an 8A. An 8A is the lowest category balcony cabin. Sorry, but in my book, being assigned a cabin is not an upgrade.

There is also a new trend with the cruise lines. Instead of upgrading people they now "upsell". The upsell is when they call you and say that you can go from an inside cabin to an outside cabin or balcony to a suite for X number of dollars. Some of these deals are good but if you have to pay for it then it isn't an upgrade it is an upsell.

Also: If you book a specific cabin your chances of getting an upgrade are slim.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Bottom line, just book the cabin you want, or even a cabin catagory that you want and you will be happy. Booking a guarantee catagory will save a few dollars too. I would never book an inside hoping for an upgrade for a window or balcony, just doesn't happen much.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 30th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Also: If you book a specific cabin your chances of getting an upgrade are slim.

Take care,
Mike
I used to think that as well, but do you think that is still the case? Princess or your TA will now ask you if you want to be considered for an upgrade if you specify a cabin so it seems like it might be a fair playing field now (or thats how they are making it sound).
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

I now book all my cruises direct I got really feed up with being "upgraded". I spend a lot of time selecting the cabin I want for a cruise so now I doo my on line booking then phone the cruise company and "lock" the booking. Great no more unwanted upgrades, a cabin type is a cabin type just the deck and position on the ship changes.
So a top grade inside (lido deck) gets a porthole (right at the front on P deck), a porthole gets a window, a window gets a balcony etc and the unlucky ones get an obstructed view with the crew walking though the lifeboats early in the morning so shut your curtains
If you really think you are getting a free lunch then just book allocation on arrival pay the lowest price for that type of cabin.
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:05 PM
Admiral

I've never understood how important it seems to be to some folks to think they are getting an " upgrade." As it's been pointed out countless times over the years, there doesn't seem to be any tried and true method of getting and upgrade.
Best thing is to book a category cabin you will be happy with, forget about the upgrade and if it comes your way, fine--if not-- fine--you still got what you wanted.
Be assured that simply moving up a deck or two doesn't necessarily mean you got an upgrade. If you are moved up a deck and end up under the disco or show lounge, or under the pool area where they spend half the night moving and stacking chairs, then start at 5 a.m the next morning un-stacking and repositioning the chairs, you just might figure out that the
" upgrade " wasn't such a good thing after all.
I have to agree with Mike that if someone tells you that they get upgrades all the time and it comes from the T.A., what's likely happening is that the T.A. is booking them into a specific cabin and then telling them they got an upgrade.
I always pick the cabin I want--not a guarantee-- Once I got a call from our T.A and was told Carnival wanted to upgrade us to a suite. First thing I did was check where it was, and then said ok. That was an upgrade --but after 40 + cruises, that's happened once.
Book what you'll be happy with and forget the rest. And too, don't confuse the " upgrade " with the " upsale "--
It's easy to say the cost of your cat. cabin is $ X dollars but for only $ X dollars more I can " upgrade " you to this. You haven't been upgraded--you have been " up-sold ."
Up Grade--Up-sold, whatever-- happy sails to all !
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Question Upgrade, upsell, guarantee

Much of what is said above is true.

IF you have particular preferences -- starboard, forward, midships, covered balcony, whatever -- then you need to book a specific cabin from the get go, and have your TA "lock" that cabin, mark it DO NOT UPGRADE.

It is true that cruise lines will often offer an upgrade with the chance to refuse it. OTOH I have also seen upgrades given without even asking, even at the port. In some cases they have been very nice upgrades, but in other cases have moved pax from cabins they particularly liked to a more expensive, but in their eyes less desirable cabin. For example, those prone to seasickness might be best in a midships cabin on a low deck. An "upgrade" to a more expensive cabin, but forward and on a higher deck, might not suit them at all.

But if you do not really care about choosing a particular cabin location, then booking a guarantee can work very well for you. That is what we usually do and we almost always get an "upgrade" -- at least, we almost always get a cabin in a higher category than the minimum that we booked. Most of the time it is from inside to a higher inside, outside obstructed to outside unobstructed, balcony to higher balcony or so on. But on some occasions we have gotten very nice upgrades such as from obstructed outside to a balcony. Why? See my post about the "upgrade fairy" above. We have no idea why.

In many cases we have been offered "upsells" and turned them down, then still gotten a cabin assignment higher than the one we guaranteed but lower than the one we turned down. So technically that was a free upgrade.

It is all a huge balancing and merchandising act. Getting something for nothing always gets peoples attention. Essentially it still remains just a gamble. If you think you have figured out how to beat it, then I want to know your system for the roulette wheel too..