Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Familiar Face

Default Picking the right room?

We've never been on a cruise before but we chose a balcony room on the Baja deck (BE). Also chose the guarantee a stateroom in this category.

Does anyone know if this is a decent area? Also what do the letter BE mean?

Thanks for helping a newbie out
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

What ship are you sailing on?

The BE is the room category, which is basically the location on the ship where the room is located. There is no difference in the rooms of the same type. A BE balcony is the same room as a BA balcony except for the location of the room. Usually the closer to mid-ship, the more expensive the room. There is a category for Aft, Mid Ship, and Forward. Sometimes they break them out even further such as breaking the ship into 4-5 sections.

The standard balcony rooms on Princess are the same size, with the exception of the balconies on the Caribe deck. They have a slightly larger balcony (9x9 instead of 9x7) but the rooms are the same size.

I'm not sure what ship you are on, but Baja deck is typically Deck 11.
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Familiar Face

We will be on the Ruby Princess. Thanks!
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ruby is a great ship. I've never stayed on Baja but its between 2 decks that contain all staterooms and you can't go wrong with a balcony. I'm sure you will love it.

The BE category rooms are furthest Aft, but I really like those rooms. You are only a few decks up to the buffet which is nice because I like to bring breakfast back to the room and eat it on the balcony and being close makes it easier.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default New to Cruising !!

If i read this correctly , it sounds like you took a BE guarantee .
This means that you have a Balcony in a BE category or higher and the cabin assignment will be assigned to you at a later date .
Depending on the date you are traveling , i have seen the cabin be assigned as early as 6months ( sometimes earlier ) prior to the Cruise date.
I have never been sorry about the Guarantee ,because i have always at least gotten a 2 category upgrade .

For the price a guarantee is a great bargain, it is not for everyone. Especially if you are someone who cares where on the ship you are.
I hope you get a Great Upgrade and enjoy your Cruise...
Voyager -Nov09
Celebrity Summit - Jan09
Carnival Legend - Sept08
Serenade of the Seas - Feb07,May09
Celebrity Infinity - Aug06
Adventure of the Seas - Feb08,Jan06,Sept06
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Familiar Face

rjsmom

That is correct I went with the guarentee in hopes of maybe getting an upgrade. If we don't we don't no big deal.
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Ok...I've often wondered about the "upgrade" people talk about. (This is our first cruise). When we booked with our TA, we actually got a room assignment. I guess this is different than a "guarantee" class, so we won't be up for an upgrade, right? I've wondered how that worked, lol!
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since you did book a specific cabin, very low chances of an upgrade. It happens more often when booking a guarantee cabin catagory. Hopefully, you are happy with your cabin selection....enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Talking The upgrade fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAgain2222 View Post
Ok...I've often wondered about the "upgrade" people talk about. (This is our first cruise). When we booked with our TA, we actually got a room assignment. I guess this is different than a "guarantee" class, so we won't be up for an upgrade, right? I've wondered how that worked, lol!
The reservations department of any cruise line is a large room, full of eager young representatives with powerful computers, messing around with cabin assignments. Their principal function is to make Travel Agents tear their hair out and to say NO to upgrade requests. However, over in the corner is a rickety old desk with an obselete computer system and a rotary dial phone. It belongs to an elderly clerk who is usually out on sick leave. But when she does come into the office, occasionally she lays her knitting down on the keyboard and it strikes a random key which gives an upgrade, sometimes a wonderful upgrade, to somebody. She is known as the UPGRADE FAIRY, and no living human being has any idea how she chooses the reservations that she touches with her magic. The best thing to do is to book a guarantee for a category that you will be fully satisfied with. If you wind up in that category be happy and enjoy your cruise. And if ... just IF ... the Upgrade Fairy touches you, then congratulate yourself that you are one of the lucky ones.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:37 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We've cruised 3 times prior with Princess and hve never received an upgrade when booking an assigned room through a TA. This time around, my husband and I just booked directly with Princess and paid for a guaranteed BG category room for a cruise this August and we were notified a few days ago that we got upgraded to BA room!!! We are thrilled since we only booked a week ago. Thank-you UPGRADE FAIRY!!!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Nice finally! I think you have a better chance for upgrades by booking the guarantee catorgy, glad it worked for you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I will be sailing on the Sapphire Princess on Feb. 2013 going to Hawaii. I am in cabin L201 on the Lido deck. This is the very first cabin at the bow of the ship. Has anyone stayed in this cabin and can comment on the cabin itself, privacy, and the motion of the ocean being at the bow.
thanks
Old September 1st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I booked a specific room on the Emerald Princess for our Nov. 19th Southern cruise and Princess upgraded us to what they considered a better room. We (my hubby) do prefer to be up front where a lot of people don't like to be (I know; we're strange). I contacted them when I noticed a different stateroom no. on our docs and they were kind enough to place us back in our original booked stateroom. Actually, as long as I have a balcony and I'm on the ship, I'm a pretty happy lady!!!