Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:34 AM
First Mate

Exclamation Staggered Boarding

I was on another board this morning, and read that Princess is starting Staggered Boarding at the SEA terminal. I am not sure if this applies to only princess, or only that terminal, but I thought it was very interesting.

The post directed me to look at my Itinerary on Princess.com and sure enough there was a message below my itinerary stating this:

CRUISE CHECK-IN
To ensure a smooth start to your voyage, we operate a staggered check-in
schedule. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as noted below,
determined by your deck and cabin number. Due to security regulations and very limited space inside the terminal, passengers arriving prior to their check-in will not be permitted to enter the terminal. Passengers may drop off their
luggage and will be asked to return at their scheduled time. Priority check-in
will be available for Preferred passengers within your allocated check-in time
once inside the terminal. All passengers must be onboard by 3:30 pm.

10:30 am - Caribe & Lido Decks / Cabins C101-C753, L201-L312
10:30 am - Fiesta & Sun Decks / Cabins F301-F315, S701-S714 (Golden Princess)
12:30 pm - Baja & Plaza Decks / Cabins B201-B751, P201-P337
1:30 pm - Aloha & Emerald Decks / Cabins A201-A749, E101-E733
2:30 pm - Dolphin Deck / Cabins D103-D737

I never recieved any type of notification, so If I hadn't read about it and gone looking I would have shown up bright and early only to wait a a few hours until it was our turn.

I am undecided myself how to feel about it, however my boarding time will be @ 12:30. If I was the 2:30 boarding I know I would be upset!

What do you think?

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Angry Staggered boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDGodwin View Post

I am undecided myself how to feel about it, however my boarding time will be @ 12:30. If I was the 2:30 boarding I know I would be upset!

What do you think?
Wow -- would I EVER be upset at being told I can't board until 2:30!!

I guarantee you that my Travel Agent would hear about it loud and long, and I know it would get passed on to Princess!!

This policy has SOOOOOO many problems. Do you notice that Priority passengers still have to check in at their assigned time, and only get a special line inside at that time? I can see some Elites blasting off over that.

What about passengers who arrive early, take the Princess transfer from the airport, get off the Princess bus and then are told to go away for four hours?

Are there going to be a thousand people milling about OUTSIDE the terminal instead of in line inside it?

What about the disabled? Is a guy on crutches, or one like me with a cane, going to stand around four hours without a place to sit?

This is NOT going to work. I am sure Princess is going to get totally bashed for this.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

Last edited by MercedMike; May 21st, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
First Mate

If this procedure keeps up I'll be booking only cabins on the Caribe or Lido deck.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
Familiar Face

We are sailing in a couple of days out of Southampton and I'm rather bothered by the staggered boarding system. We will be flying all night then have the long bus ride from London to the ship only to be told to have a seat and wait out appointed boarding time. We will get a light breakfast on the plane and then nothing until we get to the ship. Our boarding time is 3pm!!! We finally made it to platinum status and this is how we're treated. In the past I've only had good things to say about Princess but I will have to tell them what I think about this new idea.
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM
First Mate

Wow, it's like being separated into classes....kind of like the smokers.

Old May 24th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You would think, they would rather get as many passengers onboard and using their sign/sail cards ASAP...Well, they won't if they are sitting in chairs waiting to board, what are they thinking??

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This is only in effect at the Seattle terminal.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Familiar Face

We are sailing out of Southampton, UK and they are using this system there. We sail on Saturday. I'll let you know how it all works out.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:40 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

Take care,
Mike
Oh, okay. The place I found this information didn't specify if it was a SEA thing or a Princess thing.

My husband and I were talking about it, and he thinks it will make boarding a lot quicker with fewer crowds. I still dunno...

I will have to see how it goes after September...

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Talking Elite?

I am just waiting for the Elite couple who plan to do as they have done in their 15 or 20 prior cruises, arriving at 10:30 and expecting to hit the buffet --

And are told to come back at 2:30!!

I rather expect there is going to be some plain and fancy yelling happening.

I would like to be a fly on the wall for that performance.

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default RE: Spoke to Princess

I just found out about this. I am booked for an Alaska cruise in Sept. I am a Platinum Member and have booked a Mini-Suite. We are traveling with family as a group and based on the schedule part of the family will board at 1030 the others at 230. I called Princess and asked about it. The agent really did not have information on it and put me on hold to check. She came back and said it is only being done on ships that have a large booking, so it may not happen all the time. You will be told of your boarding time when you get your cruise docs. I told her about being Platinum and having a suite and she advised it did not matter. I would be put into the front of my boarding group, and that was all. Airlines allow first class and passengers of a certain level to board when ever they want, does not seem a stretch to do the same on a ship. Plus the old system did not seem all that bad. I told her as a customer I wanted to voice a concern about it. She related they have a meeting everyday about customer concerns and would bring it up. I did not trust her so I emailed Princess Customer Care yesterday with a laundry list of reasons way this was not good from the customer stand point. First and foremost being some passenger get to board and enjoy their vacation up to four hours early only to accommodate Princess Cruise and not for the passenger.

As a loyal Princess customer I advised them I have learned to get to the dock early to insure my baggage reaches my room and never board after 100 pm as a rule. Also the most exciting time for a passenger is the boarding of the ship. I enjoy walking the ship, eating, and watching the excitement of fellow passengers. They have taken this experience away from the passenger and will cause envy among the passengers. This will cause tension at the dock and on the ship. They are going to cause undue complaints to docks agents and so one. having worked in the travel industry in the past, I know these policies come from management as a "cost cutting" tool. They are never researched from a customer service view point and often back fire on the company. Lastly, this is where you guys/gals come in. I advised them cruisers are a tight group and members of message boards would not tolerate it and would respond. I also told them I have a choice in cruising and would choose a line which does not use this method. So let Princess have it! This effects all of us, from the ones who get on first to the ones who get on last not for fault of their own, but only for the benefit of Princess.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Take care,
Mike
And San Francisco

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

According to Princess Customer Service agent, Tracy, who I spoke to yesterday: This will apply to all ships which are booked to a high capacity. You will be advised a few weeks before your departures by Princess if it will apply. Makes no sense to me, how do you plan your transportation and hotel at the port.
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Seems like a well-intended badly thought out plan. Isn't Dolphin Deck the mini-suites? So you pay extra the the MS and miss lunch? I guess there really is no such thing a a free lunch.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Green_RD you hit one of the nails on the head. They could board suite passengers first, put them in nice common area at the port, etc. Had I known this I could have saved money on my suite and got another four hours on the ship by booking a balcony on a deck which boards at 1030.
Old June 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have to take back my original statement. It is being done on high capacity ships.

I do agree that if you are a full-suite or Platinum member you should be able to board at anytime after boarding starts.

I have now got to the point where I am not there at 11:00 a.m. to start boarding the ship. I wait and check out of my hotel room at noon or even request a 1:00 p.m. late check out and board at my leisure. I found boarding around 2:30 to be pretty easy and shorter lines. This was true on Carnival Liberty in Miami (June '11) and Carnival Pride in Los Angeles (August '10). It was nice not to fight the crowds. Lug the carry-on around for a couple of hours until the room was ready. On my other cruises during that time we've gone with groups who want to be on right away.

I don't know if I would have a problem with the staggered boarding.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old June 4th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'm an elite on Princess so I probably wouldn't be happy if I was delayed in boarding in Galveston for example. Especially if I didn't know about it.

I do agree with Mike when I don't board until after 2:00 or so I usually can just walk right on the ship.

It will be interesting to see the results.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't have an issue with staggered boarding if they leveled the playing field for things like specialty dining, chefs table and things like the Sanctuary which are usually first come first served.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Admiral

I don't think I would care for it, especially if you were flying in and comming direct from the airport, then just to sit and wait for your time?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Familiar Face

Just got back from a trip around the UK. Was told they would be using the staggered boarding schedule so was curious to see what would happen. We got to the terminal about a hour before our 'boarding time'. We are platinum level and were never asked about a boarding time. Went right to the platinum check in and then right on the ship. No waiting for our assigned time. From what I could see people who had not reached this level of sailing were sitting and waiting their time.
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
Just got back from a trip around the UK. Was told they would be using the staggered boarding schedule so was curious to see what would happen. We got to the terminal about a hour before our 'boarding time'. We are platinum level and were never asked about a boarding time. Went right to the platinum check in and then right on the ship. No waiting for our assigned time. From what I could see people who had not reached this level of sailing were sitting and waiting their time.
Thanks for the report, but I'm guessing it could be different from port to port. What they did for you would be acceptable to me.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Unhappy Staggered boarding

Most of the reports I see on "that other board" are that the Staggered Boarding times are being universally ignored.

Which is something that also is very annoying to me. It means that those people who try to cooperate with the published information are being put at a disadvantage by the pushy ones (like me) who choose to ignore it.

This has gone on for years with the cruise lines publishing material that says boarding begins at 1:00 and then opening the lines at 10:30. It inconveniences those who are not "in the know" and allows people like me to take advantage of knowing it is not true.

Princess is fairly notorious for this sort of misleading publication. Don't EVEN get me started on the lies they tell about St. Petersburg disembarkation.

Saying one thing and then doing another is very bad public relations, IMAO.

How about incentivizing the boarding. Say "Boarding begins at 10:30 AM. A small number of general boarding lines will be in operation, but long wait times may be expected. In order to reduce time spent standing in line, Express Boarding with shortened lines will be available to those who check in on the Staggered Boarding times, and they will receive a special cabin amenities package on boarding at their assigned time."

I think that would work and make everybody -- well, not happy -- but satisfied!

Old June 8th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

While I don't want to deny the right of people who want to get onboard a ship at 11:00 a.m. (arriving at the terminal at 10:00) - I have never understood wanting to get to the terminal, wait until when ever they open the check-in (sometimes 11:00, sometimes later) then wait post-checkin again because they are not boarding the ship yet.

There are usually 1-2000 people waiting at 10:30, - ridiculous.

Why? Just to get on a ship where all you can do is go to the buffet and babysit yuour luggage until your room is ready?

I always advocate getting to the ship a little later so you can avoid the crowds and go directly to your stateroom. Is it really worth battling 2000 other people and waiting three different places for things to open when you could just arrive and breeze right through straight to your stateroom?

The only time I arrived late and was perturbed was on Seabourn when we arrived at 12:30 only to be checked in, and then placed in a waiting room (with a coffee urn and some danish) and then told it would be 90 minutes before our stateroom would be ready. THAT WAS A SURPRISE FOR A LUXURY SHIP.
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
While I don't want to deny the right of people who want to get onboard a ship at 11:00 a.m...Why? Just to get on a ship where all you can do is go to the buffet and babysit your luggage until your room is ready?... I always advocate getting to the ship a little later so you can avoid the crowds and go directly to your stateroom....
On many occasions we have been some of those checking in at 11:00. On other occasions we have been among those checking in later. There are a lot of reasons. Sometimes it is because we took a red eye and arrived at the airport at 8 or 9. What are we going to do until 2:00? Other times we have flown in the night before, got up at the motel, had breakfast and don't particularly want to sit in the lobby of the hotel. If it is a new and interesting place we can hire a driver for a nice tour of the city and get to the dock at 2:00. But Miami? Been there, done that. In Miami we will go on out to the terminal.

It can also depend on WHERE you are leaving from. The checkin process is much more comfortable and easy at some ports. Montreal and LA are probably the worst. Miami and Vancouver are some of the best. Waiting in a more comfortable port is easier.

The point is that it is nice to have the options. Also note that there are certain things, like dining reservations, Thermal Suites, and the Chef's Table, that can only be booked on board and are first come first serve. We have tried several times to get reservations for the Chef's Table on Princess, and finally did it by waiting in line at 10:30, rushing on board, and calling as soon as we saw a phone. (Incidentally it is wonderful .. .check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/hawaii.html)

As I said above, the big problem I have is with the cruise lines lying in their documents about the boarding process. We get more truth on these boards then we do in the cruise line documents.

Old June 8th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Captain

When arriving early I usually find the first hour the best part of day 1.

Check in with no line and be on the ship when it's still empty. I've never had a line at 10:30 of more than 20-30 people and they usually have at least 10 check in agents at the start. When I did b2b(along with a total of 7 other cruisers) in February we walked off, went through customs, and had an hour before new guests came on board. Me and 2 staff where the only people on the 2 upper decks.

I got a few strange looks from staff, like aren't you supposed to be off the ship by now? lol
Old June 9th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Admiral

We've sailed out of San Francisco several times and each time the terminal boarding and disembarking was just awful! Confusion was king!!! I mean it's bad in most cruise ports we've been to, but somehow San Fran seemed the worst. Not enough room for passengers on the sidewalks, NO parking to speak of...no directions or help from any staff off the cruise ship or San Francisco...just 'everyone off the ship' and it's up to you to find your way out of the masses of people.

But I don't know if staggered boarding is the answer...especially if WE'RE relegated to the late boarding. (hahaha) There isn't really anyplace to sit and wait to board...the pre-boarding area is unusually small and always crowded.
(can't remember what Seattle was like...but I sure remember S.F.)

We like getting to the ship early, boarding, walking around, having lunch...it's part of the cruise ritual...part of the fun.

Plus, I think there may be exceptions made for certain cabin levels, and for the 'on lookers' who are not included...well, you will have some angry passengers.
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:17 AM
First Mate

Default Good News, I think...

Well it looks like the staggered boarding has been taken off my sailing from Seattle in September. The message has been removed from my itinerary, and according to the "other" board where I found out to begin with, there was enough negative feedback when they started it that they took it away.

I had passed the info to our group going on this cruise, so now I am not sure if I should tell them all nevermind or leave it be. I know my hubby and I will probably just get there when we get there and since our time was 12:30, if we have to wait a little bit, that's fine.

Let me know if you find out something different. You all know a lot better than I do!

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Admiral

There was just something about this, that I didn't like, glad to hear it didn't work.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm also glad they changed this. It would just irritate too many people and cause too much confusion.

I think all cruise lines still have "Staggering Boarding" in Cozumel. That's when all the people who spent the day at Carlos and Charlies stagger back on board.

Take care,
Mike

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I'm also glad they changed this. It would just irritate too many people and cause too much confusion.

I think all cruise lines still have "Staggering Boarding" in Cozumel. That's when all the people who spent the day at Carlos and Charlies stagger back on board.

Take care,
Mike

Oh yeah....been there...SEEN that.