CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   New to Princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/394534-new-princess.html)

Grandy February 6th, 2013 04:22 PM

New to Princess

We will be sailing to Hawaii from San Francisco on the Grand Princess.
Does Princess allow men to wear dress shorts in the dinning room? How does the food compare to Carnival? We are celebrating our 25th anniversary and will be renewing our vows, has anyone done this aboard ship? Thanks for any advice :)

Paul Motter February 6th, 2013 04:51 PM

No to shorts in the dining room - possibly at lunch, but never at dinner. Just take some slacks, there pack easily enough.

The food is very good - similar to Carnival.

Renewing vows is easy and a good thing to do.

Donna February 6th, 2013 06:11 PM

I was pleasantly suprised with the food on my last Princess cruise. Also, the added bonus of having the Horizon Court open 24/7, always something to snack on. We ended up having dinner there every evening and it was wonderful, lots of good choices and good service, plus half the amount of time to finish dinner and make a show.

BernieG February 6th, 2013 06:21 PM

Princess has cut back on Horizon Court being 24/7. They are still open quite late though but not all night like they used to be.

OP, I'm sure you'll love Princess and enjoy Hawaii for your Anniversary.

Kamloops Cruiser February 6th, 2013 07:33 PM

If the ship has the International Cafe there will be snacks ,sandwiches and other goodies all night.:roll:

Donna February 6th, 2013 07:51 PM

Princess has always had fresh water pools, which are so refreshing. They also have the self service laundry, helps on over packing if you know you can use the laundry if needed.

RichC February 7th, 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandy (Post 1463646)
We will be sailing to Hawaii from San Francisco on the Grand Princess.
Does Princess allow men to wear dress shorts in the dinning room? How does the food compare to Carnival? We are celebrating our 25th anniversary and will be renewing our vows, has anyone done this aboard ship? Thanks for any advice :)

Officially shorts are not allowed in the DR at dinner (casual evenings) but the only ship that I've seen that enforces the rule is the Island Princess. On our last Grand trip they closed their eyes to anyone with shorts on and there were at least a dozen guys or so on any particular evening.
Princess food has always been slightly better than Carnival but in the last few years Carnival food has improved considerable to where they're very close.
They do renew vows but I've never inquired about it.

Paul Motter February 7th, 2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieG (Post 1463667)
Princess has cut back on Horizon Court being 24/7. They are still open quite late though but not all night like they used to be.

OP, I'm sure you'll love Princess and enjoy Hawaii for your Anniversary.

Hi Bernie - I just wanted to say "Hi" and "welcome to Cruisemates" and "thank you for contributing."

That's it - carry on.

Trip February 7th, 2013 03:41 PM

Welcome to Cruisemates Grandy
While it's been a while since I have sailed Princess, it's a line I have enjoyed. I think they have some of the prettiest pools at sea! I thought the horizon court food was delish, and they had lox, which made my hubby happy:)

One hint I would pass along is to get to the theater early to get a good seat, for the show, and, leave before the show officially ends..The entrance to the room is very narrow,and leaving can be a hassle.

There were a couple of weddings on my last cruise...how nice it will be for you and hubby to renew your vows...have a great time!

BernieG February 7th, 2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1463752)
Hi Bernie - I just wanted to say "Hi" and "welcome to Cruisemates" and "thank you for contributing."

That's it - carry on.

Thanks for the welcome. Long time lurker decided to join.

rollerdonna February 7th, 2013 07:08 PM

Hey Bernie, welcome! Definitely no shorts in the dining room, except for maybe breakfast... We loved the food on all our Princess cruises and they were very good with special dietary concerns as well. Haven't renewed vows, but have seen a lot of renewals and weddings on board, they do it up right! Bon Voyage!

donna

Tommy Green February 8th, 2013 12:26 AM

We quite like the food in the dining room in our recent trip to Alaska.

In fact, we have compiled the food menus on our 7 day cruise. Do check out the links. :)

ChiefBoats March 8th, 2013 10:33 AM

Princess allows shorts in the Horizon Court (buffet) and at breakfast and lunch but not for the evening meal.

Previous Cruises
Island Princess – 2008 Alaska
Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)
Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska
Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska
Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal
Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises
Crown Princes – 2013 Western Caribbean
Island Princess – 2013 Alaska
Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

RichC March 8th, 2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefBoats (Post 1466718)
Princess allows shorts in the Horizon Court (buffet) and at breakfast and lunch but not for the evening meal.

Unless it's the first or last night, then anything goes.