Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Once you go balcony....

I what you're thinking....I can get by without a balcony, besides it costs too much. Well, not in the long run. A balcony stateroom experience is completely different than an inside cabin experience on the same cruise. The fresh air, views, extra space can't be beat. Some say "I don't spend time in my cabin" well that's because they don't have a balcony cabin. Plan the cruise further in advance if you need to save the extra money. A great vacation vs a mediocre vacation is well worth the extra money.
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:11 PM
Admiral

I agree with the previous post.

I don't cruise without a balcony.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:08 AM
First Mate

We always used to book balconies on single cruises but since we now only do B2B have gone back to an OV. It saves us lots of money each year for something we've done many times & allows us to book an extra month of cruising each year. Sure it's a nice option if money is unlimited.
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know it does cost a bit extra for that balcony, but I think it is well worth it...I just can't imagine cruising without being able to walk outside at any time....Yep, it does take some planning and saving up.

Sometimes, you can book a balcony cabin guarantee and save some money, if you don't necessarily have to have a specific cabin...I try to do that whenever I can.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:04 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I know it does cost a bit extra for that balcony, but I think it is well worth it...I just can't imagine cruising without being able to walk outside at any time....Yep, it does take some planning and saving up.

Sometimes, you can book a balcony cabin guarantee and save some money, if you don't necessarily have to have a specific cabin...I try to do that whenever I can.
Oh I agree it's nice to have a balcony but if the cost differential means going on a cruise for 14 days vs. 28 days a year I'd rather be on the ship than not going at all or having to pay it down on a credit card for the next 4 or 5 months at a ridiculous rate.
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Our first cruise was with a port hole ,second oceanview ,third balcony .I liked the balcony the least .

My favorite is an Lanai .We had Lanai cabins twice .
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevncali View Post
I what you're thinking....I can get by without a balcony, besides it costs too much. Well, not in the long run. A balcony stateroom experience is completely different than an inside cabin experience on the same cruise. The fresh air, views, extra space can't be beat. Some say "I don't spend time in my cabin" well that's because they don't have a balcony cabin. Plan the cruise further in advance if you need to save the extra money. A great vacation vs a mediocre vacation is well worth the extra money.
Dind, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!

I agree 100%. I need the space to get away and it makes a good vacation great! I do not cruise without a balcony.

Old March 4th, 2013, 01:30 PM
First Mate

Just wondering haw many days the people who really have to have a balcony, cruise in a year? 7? 14? 30? 60 or more and would you forgo a trip unless you had a balcony?
Also - how many years between cruises?
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Admiral

DW and I have done cabins from Inside to Owners suites. We choose to have a balcony when we cruise. The price difference between the Inside cabin or an Ocean View compared to the least priced balcony is not really that much. We cruise usually twice a year and it's 14 or 16 nights total. The difference is usually not enough to pay for another cruise. For us it's worth it to have a balcony.
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Captain

While we love balconies, especially the aft balconies, we have found that even a inside or ocean view is nice if the location is right.

Our last cruise on the Norwegien Pearl was a classic case of location, location, location. We booked the cruise knowing that funds would be tight and as we had never had a ocean view before we booked at a best available rate. The room we had was a obscured ocean view 1 deck up from the atrium and right down the hall. Being a smoker, it was no big deal to go down 1 floor and out on the deck to smoke. The room was close to one of the restaurants that served breakfast, which it seemed few knew they served breakfast there, so that was nice. We enjoyed the cruise and would definitely book that room again.

While we do prefer a balcony, we will take ocean view or inside if it comes down to a financial decision as a cruise in one of those rooms is better then no cruise at all.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am cruising 13 days this year and I insist on a balcony.
I cant stay in a cave.
I need a place to get away from crowds or someone may go swimming.

Old March 5th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If it came down to not having a balcony, or cruising, and you chose not to go, what comes to mind, is my Mother's old saying..."don't cut your nose off to spite your face!"

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I keep trying to convince myself that I can cruise without a balcony, you know, go Seabourn or Silversea but I know deep down I wouldn`t be happy. I think a lot comes down to the type of activity you do onboard. Some people really do spend little time in their cabin, they`re around the ship doing all kinds of stuff. But for others, their time is spent on the deck. I would fall into the latter. It would be a completely different cruise experience for us without a deck that I`m just not willing to try right now.
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Admiral

How unhappy could you be??

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
How unhappy could you be??
Less happy than on a similar itinerary with Princess or Celebrity on a Balcony
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Old March 7th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Familiar Face

Smile

For us, guess it depends on the route.

When we went to Alaska, we took a balcony.
But we travel to short getaway cruise, we would be fine with an inside cabin.
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Captain

I've had balcony cabins but sailing single and liking longer cruises, doesn't matter if I'm in an inside cabin. I had a suite one time, too, it was nice, do I need it??? No!

I'd rather be onboard for 14 days, 28 or whatever in an inside cabin than 7 days in a balcony cabin any day, any time.

When I first started cruising in '82, balconies weren't even an issue. Back then, cruise lines had single cabins with no surcharge, too. I remember going on the 1st Royal Princess, which was a big deal because she had all outside cabins, no insides.

Cruising has changed drastically and I realize a balcony is the norm now, but not for everyone. As they say, whatever floats your boat!
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Admiral

I enjoy cruising but I like land vacations as well. We will be doing our 16th. cruise this april. We booked a cabin with a balcony and that is what I prefer.
I really don't have any desire to cruise more than once a year, so the price of a cruise is not a big deal.
There are a lot of things to do and see in Florida and now that we live here I enjoy land trips as much as I do cruising.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevncali View Post
I can't get by without a balcony! That's turned into I can't get by without a Junior Suite....and I had a Grand Suite on my last cruise that was nice but I can get by with just a Balcony if I have to.

Check out my Travel Adventures on Video! http://www.youtube.com/deekie13

Countdown...