Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Modern Day Slave Ship (Princess Cruise Line)

MODERN DAY SLAVE SHIP (PRINCESS CRUISES)

San Pedro, California – February 23, 2013, Filipino crew onboard the mv SAPPHIRE PRINCESS (a Princess Cruise ship sailing out of San Pedro, California to the Hawaiian Islands) were awaken with knocks on their doors, and forced to relinquish their I-95’s (official document allowing non-US citizens working onboard to go ashore from a vessel) by ship’s officials. When asked what for, no definite explanation was given. Most Filipino workers gave their I-95’s thinking that it was just for that day.
The following day, a letter was issued to crewmembers stating that it was the USCBP’s decision and that there’s no definite timeline on when they would allow the crew to go ashore. This was meant to keep the peace by passing the blame to the office shoreside. Rumors have circulated that this would last for at least 90 days and that this involved all Princess cruise ships.
No Filipino crewmembers onboard the said cruise ship has broken any laws or ship’s rules, yet are still being punished by being confined to the ship while in US ports. Every day, they were made to believe by the ship’s officials that this would be resolved soon to make them continue working and not to lose their morale but, nearly two weeks later, the situation is still the same. Filipino crew still cannot go out even to send money back home. This is becoming a concern for both the crewmembers and their families. Most, if not all, of these Filipino crew are the sole providers. Earning money onboard means nothing if they couldn’t send it home. If this lasts 90 days, it takes less than 90 days for the families of these crewmembers to lose their homes and starve.
This is a case of racial profiling - isolating one nationality and treating them as lesser people. Filipino crew feel like they’re PRISONERS and SLAVES – but most of all they feel discriminated.
Sapphire Princess will dock in San Pedro on Saturday, March 9, 2013.

-Princess Cruises Crewmember
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am not condoning what has taken place, but I think I can explain why this has been done. A friend of mine recently returned from an Hawaiian cruise on the Golden Princess. He said that whilst at one of the islands, several Filipino crew members went on shore and went AWOL. They never returned to the ship. Consequently, shore leave was cancelled for the remainder of the cruise.
Princess must now be trying to stop any more Filipino crew members for doing the same.
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:01 AM
First Mate

How long will Princess continue this? It seems like everyone is being punished for the wrong doings of a few.....
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Admiral

This is a single report. We don't know if the situation is still continuing or if it ever indeed existed.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:12 AM
First Mate

Although there may be a problem with some of the crew jumping ship I have a hard time believing that Princess doesn't have a way of allowing them to transfer money home from the ship. This may well have been a one time occurrence.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSpace View Post
How long will Princess continue this? It seems like everyone is being punished for the wrong doings of a few.....
That is the way the world runs-it is called prejudice-because of a few doing wrong all of their group are blamed.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
That is the way the world runs-it is called prejudice-because of a few doing wrong all of their group are blamed.
i agree. and talk about racial profiling! any given crew member on board could do this - from any ethnic background.