Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Royal Princess - Shipyard Preview

Royal Princess - Shipyard Preview
by Paul Motter

Last week I saw the brand new Royal Princess, still under construction at the Fincantieri shipyard near Venice, Italy.

Royal Princess in Shipyard

Last week I privileged to be among a group of journalists seeing the brand new Royal Princess, still under construction at the Fincantieri shipyard near Venice, Italy.

While in Venice we stayed at the Gritti Palace - former home of the Doge of Venice, once the supreme leader of the City-state of Venice. The Palace was built in the 1000s, but was naturally subject to fire and other man-made disasters. The current owners shut the palace down for 15 months for a full-scale renovation including flood-gates because the palace sits right on the main canal. It is quite an experience to see a doorway with a steel dike that can be lowered into place.

At 141,000-gross tons, she is the biggest Princess ship ever and the largest cruise ship ever built in Italy. Her inaugural sailing comes June 13 from Southampton, England. She is 1083-feet long, 17 decks tall, has 3600 lower and 780 upper berths.

The "ship's horn" plays the first two stanzas from the The Love Boat TV-show theme song:

"Love, exciting and new; Come aboard, we're expecting you."

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow, she is coming together nicely...I already love the decor, colors, etc...Looks like another winner for sure...Thanks for the update and pictures...

Message Boards Moderator