Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Default Is sabatini worth the money?

Hi all we just booked the Crown Princess for the Eastern Caribbean early dining. That last Princess cruise we went on was 03/23/02 and I remember we really paid extra and really enjoyed Sabatini they brought course after course out and the service was wonderful. It was worth the money. But that was over 10 years ago. Is Sabatini as good as I remember? Thanks for your help.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM
First Mate

I keep thinking about the meal I'm missing out in the dining room & whether or not it's worth the extra $50 for the better meal. It's certainly good but not for my money.
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The only way to really answer this question is to do it.

Sabatini's does give you a LARGE amount of food so go hungry. Italian, especially Southern Italian, food is not my first choice so I would go for a good steak rather than Sabatinis, but that is me.

Take care and enjoy!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Admiral

I agree with Mike - the only way to find out if it's worth it or not is to try it. One person will think it's worth it, while another will think it's not.

Personally, we always try the specialty restaurants not only because we want to, but because we have to be able to tell our clients about them. And I can honestly say we've never been disappointed. To us, the extra cost is worth it. But others will think they've already paid for all their food, why should they pay extra just to eat in another restaurant?

Now with that said, while we really liked Sabatini's alot, we really loved the Crown Grill.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Admiral

On Star Princess in 2002, we went to Sabatini and it was wonderful. The service was excellent and you got quite a bit of interesting types of dishes for the money.

The other specialty restaurants we have been to are steak houses, our opinion is any big city has a good steak house so it wasn't special. The reason we like Sabatini's is because it wasn't a steak house but an Italian restaurant with the different courses and the service was so good. Food wise I get what your saying everyone have different tastes. So let me ask this is the service at this specialty restaurant really good or has it gone downhill?

BTW I wish they would put a Churrascaria steak house like Texas de Brazil on board I would be there in a heart beat. My favorite thing about Orlando was the restaurant. It was pricey by amazing. Good News they have one in Fort Lauderdale yeah!!!.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It amazes me to think that the year the Grand came out, Sabatini's was I believe. $5.00 pp..those were the days!

The Churrascaria steak house on the Epic is amazing, with a fabulous top notch salad bar. They make lots of $$ on me, because there is so much meat! I think this option would do great on all ships! There is one not that far from us, which we may try for lunch..on the Epic what we paid, was quite reasonable in comparison.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It amazes me to think that the year the Grand came out, Sabatini's was I believe. $5.00 pp..those were the days!

The Churrascaria steak house on the Epic is amazing, with a fabulous top notch salad bar. They make lots of $$ on me, because there is so much meat! I think this option would do great on all ships! There is one not that far from us, which we may try for lunch..on the Epic what we paid, was quite reasonable in comparison.
The Churrascaria steakhouse, Moderno, is now available on almost all of the NCL ships. I know they are now on all Jewel Class ships and also on Norwegian Star and Dawn. I'm not sure about Norwegian Sky and Pride of America. They got rid of the Tex/Mex restaurants and put in Moderno's.

I could really go for a bowl of the seafood chowder right now. Nummy!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Churrascaria is also being installed on Royal Caribbean ships after it proved so successful on Allure Of The Seas. I think it was $20 but you need to come to dinner starving because of the amount of food they keep bringing. We screwed up and ate lunch at the Allure's Italian restaurant on the same day! I had to be wheeled out of the Brazilian place.

I used to be against these extra-fee restaurants but gave up a few years ago. Why deny myself the pleasure over what is still a good deal even at $30 per person? I refuse to go on a cruise and pinch pennies.
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mike I meant all lines should have one....taking the tex mex out, was the best move evah. I think adding noodle bars is also a great choice to add to the mix.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 8th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Royal must just be starting the Churrascaria because there wasn't one on Freedom of the Seas in 2012. They could easily replace the lackluster Portofino with a Churrascaria steakhouse. $20 per person is a great deal on this type of dining. I wish Princess had this. But I'm looking forward to Sabatini's. Trip $5 per person is what I think I paid in 2002 times have changed.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Admiral

For those of you wondering what a Churrasciaria is here's a video of NCL Moderno.

And now Sabatini's in Princess. Wow the frozen burrito I had from dinner isn't looking to look right now.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 9th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Oops. I was mistaken about Royal adding Churrasciaria to the other ships. It is only on the Allure. The Royal Advantage upgrades adds other eateries to the older ships.
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sabatinis has changed the format. They no longer bring out all the platters of food. It's all ordered courses now. It was good...just don't order the soft shell crab, awful.
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieG View Post
Sabatinis has changed the format. They no longer bring out all the platters of food. It's all ordered courses now. It was good...just don't order the soft shell crab, awful.
That's disappointing that they changed the format. The old format made Sabatini's unique now it's the same as any other restaurant.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:33 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieG View Post
It's a much better idea instead for presenting unwanted food only for presentation and it going to waste.
Old May 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
It's a much better idea instead for presenting unwanted food only for presentation and it going to waste.
You are probably right but both my hubby and me were very disappointed with this change. We will probably skip this now as nothing about the experience would be unique or special over a normal restuarant. So why spend the money?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
You are probably right but both my hubby and me were very disappointed with this change. We will probably skip this now as nothing about the experience would be unique or special over a normal restuarant. So why spend the money?
My diet restrictions that I have make me not even want to bother spending the extra but I will go if my hubby wants to-but it is a big waste for me-sadly. I wish I was not so limited as I am now by my health. I know that is why I am not as much into cruising as I used to be.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Constellation November 24, 2014
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Familiar Face

my parents have tried all alternative, paid-dining and they felt the Crown Grille was better. they like italian food but for them, everything seemed so salty.

now, this is coming from my family - we are use to a fairly low to medium sodium diet. fir example, when i shop for bacon, i get the 50% reduced salt version and still find that on the saltier side. i think it totally depends on what you are use to. if you are use to a med-high sodium diet, then it may not seem salty at all.

plus, you can always request to lower the sodium where possible when they create your meals.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Familiar Face

i'm also guessing that sabatini is just for dinner? i suppose all specialty dining options are only for dinner (it's been awhile for me, too).

too bad - if they open for lunch, i would suggest trying it for lunch instead. i prefer not missing the MDR dinners because i've never had a bad experience with them. but at lunch time, i don't mind and usually like to try different dining options each day.