CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Anyone cruise Crown Princess? Likes/dislikes? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/396239-anyone-cruise-crown-princess-likes-dislikes.html)

katlady May 21st, 2013 02:09 PM

Anyone cruise Crown Princess? Likes/dislikes?

Hi all,

My last cruise on Princess was in 2002 on the Star Princess so that was 11 years ago. Which we loved, no real reason why we haven't bee back. We have been hanging around the Carnival ships and last cruise was RCI Freedom of the Seas so I got a couple of questions. One ill fated cruise on Celebrity won't be making the mistake again to mellow for us.

How does the Crown Princess compare to the Star Princess? If you have cruised Crown Princess what did you like? What did you dislike? How was the food in the main dining room? At the buffets? What about entertainment? Any "don't miss" shows or food items? Does anyone know if they have Zumba classes at the gym? If so how much is a class?
I have only been to one of the ports before that is St. Marteen. So what do you know about St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and/or Princess Cays? Thanks for your help. :D

storybookcruises.com May 21st, 2013 06:10 PM

While we haven't been on the Star Princess, we have been on the Crown Princess and several others in the Princess fleet. I've heard some people complaining about the Crown, but our personal experience was very good. We loved the ship, the food, and especially the staff. Of course, this was a few years ago and as we all know, things always change in this industry, so it's possible it's different from when we went.

Also, as we all know, food is very subjective. My favorite expression is; what one person loves, another will hate. And food is proof that statement is correct - everyone has their own opinion.

We thought the food was good. Just our personal opinion, obviously, but we felt it was definitely better than Carnival, NCL, or RCCL, but not quite up to Celebrity or Holland.

As for the shows, they were fine - nothing special - just the usual cruise line show.

As for Zumba classes, can't help you with that specific class, but I do know they offer classes - just not sure which ones. As popular as Zumba classes are, I would venture to guess they probably do have them.

As for the ports, not much to do in Grand Turk - basically a day at the beach right beside the pier. It was built and designed for Carnival Corp, so they want to keep you right there, but there are a few shore excursions.

Princess Cays is very nice! It's a beautiful beach with all the amenities. They have sandy beach areas and down past the gazebo, there is some decent snorkeling (not great, but nice).

St. Thomas is an American port known for its shopping. You can get some good deals especially on jewelry, watches, cameras, etc. But don't shop right at the pier - prices are often higher and they don't negotiate the way they will downtown. And since I'm on the subject, don't follow the crowd and be herded on taxis with everyone else. Walk outside the gated area and flag down a taxi - cheaper and MUCH less crowded. (Taxis inside the gated area have to pay a fee to be there and pass this along to passengers.) St. Thomas is also known for water sports of all kinds; scuba diving, sailing, jet skiing, etc. Magen's Bay was selected by the Travel Channel as one of the top 3 prettiest beaches. And while it's great for a sandy beach, it's not good for snorkeling. If you prefer snorkeling to just swimming, then Coki Beach is better. Or even better yet, you can take a water taxi over to St. John and try Trunk Bay.

But personally, I really like this ship and itinerary as it has the opportunity to enjoy a nice cruise while getting to sit and relax on some very pretty beaches. Two things we really love to do!

Pete

RichC May 22nd, 2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1473760)
Hi all,

My last cruise on Princess was in 2002 on the Star Princess so that was 11 years ago. Which we loved, no real reason why we haven't bee back. We have been hanging around the Carnival ships and last cruise was RCI Freedom of the Seas so I got a couple of questions. One ill fated cruise on Celebrity won't be making the mistake again to mellow for us.

How does the Crown Princess compare to the Star Princess?
We've sailed both a number of times and would prefer the Star if it were still in the US ports only because it somewhat smaller in size.
If you have cruised Crown Princess what did you like? What did you dislike? How was the food in the main dining room? At the buffets?
Our last Crown cruise was pretty good. The food was nothing to complain about but neither was the Star as I recall. All that could change depending on the cook staff which changes frequently as per our experience on the Emerald recently in April. Last Now it was fine but in April it had slipped somewhat. Still not terrible but there were dishes that could have been better.

What about entertainment?
Pretty much the same shows on all Princess ships and all of them are decent. The Ruby & Island have some that differ from the other ships.
Any "don't miss" shows or food items?
You can't go wrong with most items although their beef can be hit or miss. Steaks can be tough as can be the prime rib and most times can be overcooked for my taste. Since their size portions are on the small size I once ordered a larger slice of prime rib only to get a really lousy piece of meat. Never again. I'll order the regular platter & if it's good Ill send the waiter for another piece. I have to leave uneaten food on the plate.
Does anyone know if they have Zumba classes at the gym? If so how much is a class?
They do have Zumba for sure. I've seen it in the Atrium at times on some ships or at the main pool in the mornings. Never paid much attention but I don't believe there's a charge.

I have only been to one of the ports before that is St. Marteen. So what do you know about St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and/or Princess Cays?
In St Thomas most likely you'll be at Crown Bay & the shopping is very limited if that what your interested in. Downtown is a $4 taxi ride one way or 30 minute walk. There's one beach (Emerald) which is decent nearby. ($4 taxi or 30 min walk also)
Grand Turk is another beach day. The ship docks right at the beach & you've got your choice of either the Margarittaville pool which is free but noisy (get there early for a shady seat) or the beach where the lounges are also free. The sand in the water can be very rocky especially towards the right when walking down the pier. Also get there early if you want a shady chair. There are shops right in the center of things but the prices are expensive compared to St Thomas (especially liquor).
Princess Cays is a tendered beach day with lunch provided on the beach (hamburgers, chicken, hot dogs, salad, cookies, fruit, ice tea). Also get there early for a shady seat under the limited trees. You'll have to get a tender ticket in order to board the tenders since everyone wants to go early in the day. Also the line returning to the ship can be quite long at around 2 to 3 PM so we normally return soon after lunch which begins at 11:30 AM and head to the ships pools. The sand can also be rocky at Princess Cays especially towards the right after exiting the tenders. It's somewhat better towards the left side but more crowded with people. Don't bother with renting the clam shell chairs- much to hot & not worth the money since there's shade under the trees.

Thanks for your help. :D

katlady May 22nd, 2013 11:03 AM

Thanks for the great advice. I figured there would be a charge for the fitness classes. I'm just glad they have Zumba (RCI didn't offer in 2012 on Freedom of the Sea I checked) I do Zumba at home and after eating the food I will need the exercise. Sounds like St. Thomas is my shopping port. My cruise is around Chirstmas time so I might have to get so gifts.:D
The ocean is so wonderful in the Caribbean ports I have been to so I would love to just enjoy the beach and swimming in the ocean. :D I never understand how the cruiselines can mess up Primerib it is an easiest cut of meal to prepare. Filet Migon is hard to cook because it's so lean, so I normally avoid it on cruises. But Primerib there is enough fat to keep it moist. On Celebrity we had some tough primerib. :-| I hate to leave food on my plate to, but I started realizing it's not healthy for me to eat to much and if the food is awful why waste the calories. I'm not to picky foodwise to the food has to be terrible for me not to eat it.

RichC May 22nd, 2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1473842)
Thanks for the great advice. I figured there would be a charge for the fitness classes. I'm just glad they have Zumba (RCI didn't offer in 2012 on Freedom of the Sea I checked) I do Zumba at home and after eating the food I will need the exercise. Sounds like St. Thomas is my shopping port. My cruise is around Chirstmas time so I might have to get so gifts.:D
I HATE shopping. Period....and in downtown St Thomas is the worst place in the world for a person like myself. The stores are so crowded you can't hardly get inside sometimes.
The ocean is so wonderful in the Caribbean ports I have been to so I would love to just enjoy the beach and swimming in the ocean. :D I never understand how the cruiselines can mess up Primerib it is an easiest cut of meal to prepare.
Could be a poor cut of beef?
Filet Migon is hard to cook because it's so lean, so I normally avoid it on cruises. But Primerib there is enough fat to keep it moist. On Celebrity we had some tough primerib. :-| I hate to leave food on my plate to, but I started realizing it's not healthy for me to eat to much and if the food is awful why waste the calories. I'm not to picky foodwise to the food has to be terrible for me not to eat it.

I just checked the Patters from the Emerald and they weren't charging for zumba. One time it was held on deck 15 buy the pool & three other times in was in club Fusion (9:15 & 10 AM) during a 10 day cruise.

katlady May 23rd, 2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 1473863)
I just checked the Patters from the Emerald and they weren't charging for zumba. One time it was held on deck 15 buy the pool & three other times in was in club Fusion (9:15 & 10 AM) during a 10 day cruise.

That's great news. :D I'm not to sure about being Zumba by the pool but in the club fusion I could. Thanks for checking.