Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Caribbean Princess Deck 8 or 9 suite at the stern

Hi all, thanks in advance for any replies. I have been on 8 cruises and our most recent was a big disappointment due to smoke on our balcony. I am considering booking a suite that is at the stern (very back) of the Caribbean Princess, decks 8 or 9 and I am concerned about two things. Firstly, is there a smell of diesel exhaust from the stacks as I expect that the stack effluent will be sucked down behind the ship (vortices) as it sails? Secondly, would these same vortices circulate smoke from upper smoking areas down onto the suite's balcony? We just finished a Hawaiian cruise on NCL where we had the suite that was second from the front of the ship... and we had a chain smoker on the balcony in front of us. As a result, I thought that I should do some homework before booking our next cruise. I understand that Princess does not allow smoking on cabin balconies, but I would love to hear from anyone who has had a suite at the very back of a ship.
Thanks,
MisterT
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Admiral

We have had an aft balcony twice, most recently on Caribbean Princess. We didn't notice any diesel or vortices. You won't feel much air movement at all. Our neighbor smoked an occasional e-cigarette. Can't remember, I think Princess may have banned smoking on balconies.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 16th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
We have had an aft balcony twice, most recently on Caribbean Princess. We didn't notice any diesel or vortices. You won't feel much air movement at all. Our neighbor smoked an occasional e-cigarette. Can't remember, I think Princess may have banned smoking on balconies.
Thanks Bob. Do you recall which floor you were on? Do you have anything negative to say or any concerns about aft balconies? Would you pick an aft balcony over a mid-ship or a bow?
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Admiral

We were on baja deck, don't remember what deck number that was.

We really enjoy the aft balconies and would definitely book again. We love watching the ships wake. i started a game of guessing our speed based on the length of the wake. They can get a little warm not having benefit of a breeze.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
We were on baja deck, don't remember what deck number that was.

We really enjoy the aft balconies and would definitely book again. We love watching the ships wake. i started a game of guessing our speed based on the length of the wake. They can get a little warm not having benefit of a breeze.
Thanks Bob, I'll look to see where the Baja is on the ship. So, how many aft cabins have you sailed? If anyone else is reading, regarding aft cabins, please share.
Thanks,
MisterT
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Familiar Face

Hi, I hope this helps. We always first look for the aft. It is very enjoyable. Princess has eliminated smoking in cabins and balconies. We have never had any issues with any smells. Also there is very little to no wind. The only noise is from the propellers, to me it sounds more like a water fall. Enjoy the back.
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks sooo much!