CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Smart Casual Dress code what does it mean? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/400161-smart-casual-dress-code-what-does-mean.html)

katlady December 9th, 2013 01:18 PM

Smart Casual Dress code what does it mean?

Formal night my hubby and I are dressing up. My hubby is picking up his new suits today and they are very nice. I like to dress up so not an issue.

I'm a bit confused by Princess website on Smart Casual. I know that Carnival allows nice jeans in the dining room on Smart Casual night. Princess is owned by Carnival. So I was trying to see if Jeans were allowed on Princess. Here is the dress code. Inappropriate dinner wear is casual Jeans with fraying and/or holes. I don't own jeans like that neither does my hubby. Once the jeans are frayed or have a hole we throw them away. I like dark blue or black jeans. I also have a pair of jeans like the photo below I would wear the jeans with a dressy blouse. My hubby's jeans are a dark blue no holes or frays. He wears them with a button shirt either solid color or a Hawaiian shirt is the allowed on Princess? Thanks for the help.

Smart Casual
Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.
  • Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men
Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GLORIA-VANDER...e2Q~~60_57.JPG

Paul Motter December 9th, 2013 01:24 PM

The jeans you show should be fine - especially on casual night. Black jeans do look a little dressier than blue-jeans. Blue denim jeans just look sloppy, it is not just the color, it is the drape. Jeans tend to wrinkle and cling to the body. Slacks drape down and have a crease.

It looks to me that "nice" jeans are allowed on casual nights - but they are not recommended on "formal suggested" nights. On those nights people should stick with slacks.

The key on casual nights is that the jeans should be new and stylish - not frayed, worn-out or bad fitting. And guys - PLEASE wear a belt - (we don't want to see the tops of any butt-cracks peeking out while we eat dinner).

Mike M December 9th, 2013 01:33 PM

Those jeans, with a dressy top, will be just fine for Smart Casual nights on Princess.

One misconception that people have is that if a cruise line is owned by a large corporation the dress codes are the same. They aren't. Carnival Corporation owns: Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Costa, Cunard, Windstar and a couple more I've probably forgotten. The dress code on Carnival Cruises and Cunard are very different. Each cruise line has its own rules.

Dress jeans and blue jeans are two different types of clothing. Just because two things are made out of denim doesn't mean they are the same type of clothing.

Have fun!!!!

Take care,
Mike

katlady December 9th, 2013 02:48 PM

Thanks Paul and Mike that is why I provided the picture of the Jeans. When you think of Jeans most people think faded blue jeans. I'm a plus size gal so I like dark clothing. I also don't like to look sloppy so full makeup will be on and the top will be a dressy blouse not a t-shirt.

Mike you make a good point about the different cruise lines Carnival corporation owns. That is why I looked up the dress code on Princess. But it seemed unclear. Since they only addressed not wearing causal jeans and defined that as with holes or frayed. But my guess is a distress jean or faded jean would also be defined as causal. My view is the dark and well fitting the jean is less causal it is.

My last princess cruise was in 2002 and things have changed since then. LOL You replies help me with my packing list. :mrgreen:

Trip December 9th, 2013 05:48 PM

Trendy top, sassy shoes,and a great necklace and those jeans, all add up to you both looking smart casual!

BernieG December 11th, 2013 05:56 PM

I wouldn't have in my wildest dreams classified those as "Jeans". Which are fine by the way on Princess...even blue ones.

Paul Motter December 11th, 2013 06:14 PM

Just FYI - Carnicorp hasn't owned Windstar since 2006. That line is owned by Xanterra now - which is owned by AEG (the company the Michael Jackson estate sued).

zydecocruiser December 16th, 2013 09:34 AM

I wore blue jeans every night in the MDR on Golden Princess b2b cruises a month or so ago. The cruises were 3 and 4 nights long and had no formal nights.

RichC December 22nd, 2013 08:36 PM

Princess indicated that the jeans to be "nice" but in reality just about any pair will do, faded or otherwise. About the only thing they get touchy about is the new designer ones that come with with holes. ;)
I've just retired my 5 year old pair as they were getting a little ragged but they still were acceptable for DR. Someday I'd love to see someone in a pair that don't quality as being decent. :mrgreen:

AR February 26th, 2014 04:10 PM

Hey Kat--

Dunno if you've gone yet, but we just got back from a 15 day Princess roundtrip to Hawaii.

Don't sweat the small stuff. There is no longer any dress code, despite what they may say.

In the main dining room on formal night: a guy with a Hard Rock t-shirt, Hilo Hattie beads, and military camouflage pants. Nobody said a word.

I think they only retain the concept of formal night for the photo business. Many ignore it. Smart casual? Pretty much anything short of naked.

RichC February 27th, 2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR (Post 1495616)
Hey Kat--

Dunno if you've gone yet, but we just got back from a 15 day Princess roundtrip to Hawaii.

Don't sweat the small stuff. There is no longer any dress code, despite what they may say.

In the main dining room on formal night: a guy with a Hard Rock t-shirt, Hilo Hattie beads, and military camouflage pants. Nobody said a word.

I think they only retain the concept of formal night for the photo business. Many ignore it. Smart casual? Pretty much anything short of naked.

I take your comment to be referring to smart casual night. How were the people dressed on formal evenings in the DR?

AR February 27th, 2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 1495648)
I take your comment to be referring to smart casual night. How were the people dressed on formal evenings in the DR?

I said. . .

And that's what I meant.

Generally on formal nights, my estimated breakdown. . .

Tuxes: 20%
Suits: 20%
Coats and ties: 30%
Less than that: 25%
Grotesque: 5%

RichC March 1st, 2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR (Post 1495673)
I said. . .

And that's what I meant.

Generally on formal nights, my estimated breakdown. . .

Tuxes: 20%
Suits: 20%
Coats and ties: 30%
Less than that: 25%
Grotesque: 5%

I missed that formal word. It seems much less dressy than the Emerald was in Dec. Most people did conform to the typical style. There was no "Grotesque" to be seen even on casual evenings.
btw I fall into the "less than that" category. We'll see how the Coral goes in a few weeks.

Beermam42 June 30th, 2014 02:14 AM

Amen, DCL has gone this way. ThÍre dress code now you can't wear swim wear to MDR. Formal night most dressed up but a few did not.