CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   life boat drill (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/401173-life-boat-drill.html)

naturist February 27th, 2014 05:26 PM

life boat drill

Can't remember, does princess require one to take there life jacket to the drill?

Donna February 27th, 2014 07:14 PM

Sorry, not sure about Princess, but on Royal Caribbean we did NOT have to lug the life vest along....Hopefully, Princess is the same.

naturist February 27th, 2014 07:50 PM

Thanks Donna, I remember that from RCCL and also the last few times on the Carnival Dream they also didn't require them. I seem to think last year on Princess,we had to bring them to the muster station and then haul them all the way back to the stateroom.

AR February 27th, 2014 11:53 PM

The answer is yes. At least as of three weeks ago. It's not a big deal. Everybody survives it. Not worth worrying about.

rollerdonna February 28th, 2014 06:30 AM

I was on the Royal Princess in November and yes we had to bring our life jackets, but the good news is that drills are held in some of the lounges and public areas indoors (air conditioned) so you're not crammed like sardines in the heat on deck.

donna

naturist February 28th, 2014 08:41 AM

Thanks, that what I thought. I know it's "no big deal" but going up to your stateroom and then all the way down to the assigned lounge/theater and then all the way back to the room is a hassle. Then to top it off the elevator crowd, it's just so much easier when you don't have to bring them.

RichC February 28th, 2014 09:08 AM

The biggest problem with the drills is getting back to your room after it's done. Stand in the rear of the room and after trying on your life jacket be ready to leave immediately afterwards ahead the crowd. The elevators get jammed & are practically unusable so use the stairs to return to your room.

AR February 28th, 2014 10:32 AM

Possible creative solutions to this vexing dilemma:

1. If you're one of the dwindling minority of passengers without orthopedic or cardiovascular problems, use the stairs.

2. Spend 20 minutes or so exploring whatever deck your muster station is on. Maybe walk up or down a deck or two to explore them as well. Since after two weeks on a ship a significant number of passengers still don't know where the hell anything is, you can get a head start on your shipboard geography. Carrying the life vest too cumbersome? Put it on. It's a fashion statement.

3. Repair to the nearest saloon and have a drink.

naturist February 28th, 2014 11:52 AM

Solution #3 is what we normally do, have a drink and watch the crowd of people slowly moving by. Plus it always helps, since half the elevators will be shut down allowing the crew to move/deliver luggage. We will on the Royal in two weeks and I've read about the elevator problems on that ship. So it should be "fun" Will write a report when we get back.

Paul Motter March 25th, 2014 02:11 PM

Answer: stand as close to the exit as possible and be one of the first to leave the room when dismissed. On many ships because most of the lifeboats are midships, you can go to the fore or aft elevators and they are usually pretty clear.

Walk quickly down an uncrowded hallway occupied by staterooms. If there isn't one, go down a deck by stairs and walk to the next elevator station.

If this won't work - just do what everyone else does - tolerate it. It isn't that bad.

Margaret March 31st, 2014 06:14 PM

Yes. You carry it to your muster station and put it on when they tell you to.

RichC April 20th, 2014 10:35 AM

In addition to the other comments they are now closely checking names at the muster drills & will call people for a makeup session if you miss the first one with your name & cabin number called for on the announcement system. People who don't attend the makeup session will be sent a personalized letter to attend yet another makeup session. I'm not certain what it actually says but I'm sure it was phrased much more strongly than just an invite. :wink: