Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Robb Wortham

Default Tahiti on the 'Paul Gauguin'

If you have not sailed on Radisson's 'Paul Gauguin' you have missed a truly grand adventure. We were on the cruise to Tahiti-Bora Bora-etc. in December and it was magnificent.

The cabins were spacious with more than adequate storage space (some people might carry more luggage than we do, after 9 cruises I have learned how to cut back). With all the fine wood trim and mirrors it was better than any other ship we have sailed on. Some little perks in the cabin were the complimentary bar set up (refills do cost some, but I never got to that point), robes, your own Tiki god, fresh flowers and fruit, an umbrella in case the need arose (which it didn't) and a wonderful cabin stewardess who was efficient and rather comical.

Each day there was a free happy hour at some time. Free flowing wine at lunch and dinner to the point where you had to say 'please no more'. And the meals were superb. No complaints about the quality of food or the service. It was the first time that we had been on a ship with an open seating policy and it turned out to be great. We were able to meet more people and enjoy their conversation. On such a small ship you are able to get to know these people much better than on a large ship.

The complimentary snorkle gear and marina were features that we used and enjoyed. If you like to snorkle, this is the place to do it. We took advantage of every opportunity and were never disappointed. The clear waters (and I do mean clear-it seems like you can see forever) were far better than any we have experienced in the Caribbean. The abundance of marine life was astounding. Corals of every color, more colorful fish and sea creatures than you can imagine. And another highlight of the snorkling here was to swim with the sharks in the open sea. Scary at first, but exhilirating non-the-less.

The presence of several native Polynesians on board for the duration of the cruise was something you need to experience. These young ladies, like all the Polynesian people we met on shore, are genuinely friendly, always smiling with a warm greeting. Just about the nicest people we have ever met.

Afternoon tea was another special treat. Unlike some of the larger ships where tea time is just another food fest with passengers grabbing and stuffing themselves (like they needed MORE food), this was more in the line of high-tea. Tea was served in individual silver teapots, tasty and attractive tidbits to nibble on and all served by a proper white-gloved steward. You really felt special at this occasion.

Another great plus (especially for men) was the fact that no coats and ties were required. No formal nights choking along in your tux. My kind of dress code.

Due to the fact that most passengers had to travel a great distance by plane just to get there, arrangements for before and after cruise periods were preplanned. The accomodations were exceptional, especially the after cruise hotel. The one downer of the trip was here though. We had a drink (just a plain ordinary well drink) at one of the bars of the hotel and were surprised when the tab came to $28.00. And dinner at the hotel was at your own expense. We passed on this because of the $68.00 per person price, and it was just a sandwich-salad affair. These prices are not the fault of Radisson though. Everything in French Polynesia is terribly expensive. We checked on prices of accomodations, meals, excursions and other activities for someone staying on the islands and found that the price we paid for the cruise was a great bargain. Cruising is the only way to travel when visiting this area.

Never in my life have I ever had such a lovely trip. I would go back in a minute. I hope many of you can have this experience. And, as always, HAPPY CRUISING.

Robb
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2001, 04:41 PM
gogetter

Default Re: Tahiti on the 'Paul Gauguin'

Hello,

I have been researching and have found this is the ultimate cruise. Do you have any pictures ? Thank you for the review. Was the ship full ?
Old April 12th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Robb Wortham

The total capacity of the ship is 320 if memory serves me correctly and I think we had 316 on this cruise. That is pretty close to being full.

Pictures, yes we have pictures by the truck load. We only took 16 rolls of film with us for this 7 day cruise and ran out on the last day-bought a roll of 35mm, 200asa in Tahiti for a mere $15.00. I think we got ripped on that, so be sure and have plenty when you go. Unfortunately, we do not have the capability to put them on the computer. Each time we take a trip I have to get a new album. I also save every little item relating to the trips (matches, drink stirrers, napkins, receipts, brochures, etc) and include them in the albums. Since we take so many trips each year, I am running out of storage space for all the albums.

Included in that 16 rolls of film are three that are underwater shots. Instead of buying sesveral new disposable underwater cameras each time we go on a trip where snorkling is a possibility, I have invested in a permanent camera-a $250 Minalta that I found on clearance for only $50. It has paid for itself many times over. In the past we have had underwater shots that are not all that good, but with the new camera and the clear waters around Bora Bora and Ta'aha they results were fantastic. Several were almost of professional quality-no skill on the part of this photographer, just the good equipment and the excellent subject matter.

I know you will enjoy the trip. Robb
Old April 20th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Yeoman

Hi Robb,

I enjoyed all your messages related to the cruise on the Paul Gauguin. My husband and I booked the 7 day cruise for September. We are very excited, especially even more after reading the wonderful comments. My question is, can you tell me the average age group that was on your cruise? We are about 30 years old and want to fit in with the cruise, we enjoy our age group and that of more experienced ones! ;-)The key is, just good company is what matters, not age...Hope this question isn't too personal, but curious...Thanks! Michelle

P.S. anyone else reading this, I'd appreciate your feedback!
Old April 20th, 2001, 03:40 PM
ssclbc

Robb,
Sounds great! I just got back from the new Mariner and am a RSSC convert. My husband and I are planning on going on the PG in 2003 for our 10th anniversary. A few questions...
What category room did you have?
How was the flight over? Which airline did you use and did you upgrade to business class?
Did you do a pre or post cruise hotel stay? If so, which one? Any impressions you have would be great.
Thanks!