Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Passenger

Default Foreign Currencies

Radisson uses descriptions of towns and countries in its excursion books which are a little out dated. Most countries in Europe use Euros, including Greece (Rhodes, Corfu, Athens and the islands). I believe that Turkey still use the Lira, though.
The Euro is about dollar for dollar which saves using a currency converter. When a credit card is used at an ATM machine, the exchange rate is much better than going to a money changer.
Neviboy
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Joe Reynolds

Default Re: Foreign Currencies

Alleays try and use your credit card to make purchases in foreign countries when you can. Watch out for the company you are buying from adding an charge to your card. They should not do this unless they show it. I had a restaurant out of Lisbon do this. No problem, because it was worth it to me to not have to have the local currency for such a short time. The credit card company invokes a charge on the merchant and some merchants in foreign countries pass it on.
Old October 15th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Frank

Default Re: Foreign Currencies

neviboy wrote:

> The Euro is about dollar for dollar which saves using a
> currency converter. When a credit card is used at an ATM
> machine, the exchange rate is much better than going to a money
> changer.

I just came back from a European cruise. I used my Bank of America ATM card to get Euros and because I have a Premier account, there were no fees for this withdrawal. My bank statement showed almost a 1 to 1 match with the the dollar amount being less than the amount of Euros received.

I also used my MBNA credit card as they are one of the few that only pass along the 1% fee that Visa charges. Visa, MasterCard and others add 2 and 3 more percent to this fee but MBNA doesn't. I just got my MBNA statement and it too had similar allocations of Euros to dollars. For example, a 6 Euro charge came out to be $5.96. A little closer than I experienced for the ATM withdrawal but better than having the additional percentages that MasterCard and Visa would have added.
Frank-in-CA