Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:44 AM
Beginner

Default Alaska-Celebrity, Princess, HAL or Radisson????

I would appreciate any help from the cruisemates experts.

I am planning a surprise 30th anniversary cruise to Alaska for my wife and would like this trip to be extra special, so I need to get your opinions on which Cruise Line to choose.

Background: We have sailed RCI, Celebrity, Princess and HAL and--this time I am seriously considering Radisson. Our room preference has been SS and RS on Celebrity, Cat B/C on RCI, Cat A/B on HAL and Cat AA (mini suite) on Princess.

We prefer a laid back, relaxing cruise with lots of personal attention. How does Radisson compare to Celebrity and Princess with regard to cabin, quality of service and food. I know this can be very subjective, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gentleman J
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:35 AM
NHcruisers

Default Re: Alaska-Celebrity, Princess, HAL or Radisson????

Gentleman J--

We have sailed on all the lines you have, plus a number more including RSSC. When we sailed Clebrity, we always were in Royal Suites. On the Mariner, we were in a Penthouse suite which measures, if I recall, about 440 sq feet which is a little smaller than a Royal Suite on Celebrity. I can't knock Royal Suites, they are beautiful and perhaps a tad nicer than a/b/c Penthouse suites. Service is considerably better on RSSC than Celebrity et al as is the food. Entertainment was about the same, sometimes better, sometimes not. Guest lecturers far better on RSSC.

Then you have the 2 bottles of liquor in your statement, freely poured wine during dinner, no charges for water or softdrinks anywhere, NO tipping, all included in your fare.

If you want it to be special, try RSSC. I don't think you'll regret it.

Bill
Old January 28th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Dwight

Default Re: Alaska-Celebrity, Princess, HAL or Radisson????

Gentlemen J.

I noticed the date of your post was Sept, so you may have already booked your Alaskan cruise.......if so, hit the delete key now and avoid my jibberish.

I have sailed RCI and Princess and thought Princess was definitely a step above RCI. My wife and I splurged on my 50th birthday a few years ago and took a cruise in Alaska (Anchorage (Seward) to Vancouver) on Princess , booking their top suite with a huge balcony on the Dawn Princess...............(I need to leave my wife money when I'm gone some day, but not all of it!) It was a great experience......a balcony of any size makes all the difference in the world on a cruise....at least to me, and especially in Alaska.

The room was located facing the stern of the ship which I liked, but you do get a bit more movement than midship, especially if you are going to the open sea of the Alaskan Gulf to or from Seward. The inside passage of Alaska is extremely smooth. We found Alaska to be Stunning........truly Stunning! Parts of it are so beautiful it can bring tears to your eyes....

We have not yet cruised RSSC but have booked our first trip on the Mariner for May 2004, L.A. to Vancouver in it's respositioning cruise from the Carribean thru the Panama Canal to Alaska for the summer. We have heard great things about RSSC and are ready to try a line that carries fewer passengers.....I also like the open seating at dinner where you go to dinner when you are ready and do not have an assigned table as on RCI or Princess or many other lines.

Whatever you choose, you will have a great time! It's a great trip and a great memory. If you have any questions on shore excursions in Alaska (and we did several very good ones)...... or whatever, please feel free to drop a note.

Have a great trip!

Dwight
So. Calif.