Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ash
Default Cruise Insurance

Hi there!

So - what's the normal cost and procedure for 2 people on Radisson for an 8d/7n cruise insurance policy? Our TA has been rather vague about the subject, which is why we are seeking first-hand info and directions from Cruisemates.

We would appreciate feedback from anyone about who you use for your travel insurance needs? Which policy, cost, how to get it, etc.

(Marc, if you're out there, you have been so helpful to us in the past. Your advice and experience is appreciated and respected. Got another minute for this one?)

Thank you!
Ash

Radisson Seven Seas Mariner
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Cruise Insurance

Hi Ash.
Insurance costs will vary with the cost of the trip. But I would recommend using third party insurance.

Check out Travel Guard, Travelex, or CSA for starters.

I would definitely not go without insurance.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ash

Thanks, Kuki!
Can I do this online?

Ash

Radisson Seven Seas Mariner
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Ash:

I recommend going to www.insuremytrip.com

You can compare prices and coverages there. We always select TravelGuard Protect Assist. It is cheaper but provides secondary medical coverage. As the two primary coverages I want are medical evacuation and cancellation, I don't mind going through the additional headache if I ever have to make a medical claim.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Cruise Insurance

I have had to make claims on two insurance companies, Travel Insured and Travel Guard. With Travel Insured, my Father-in-law passed away back home while we were on an 18 day cruise from San Francisco to Tahiti and we had to disembark at the first port, Maui. With the initial claim, they paid about 90% of what I asked and then paid the remaining after I wrote a follow up letter.

I am presently in the process of claims with Travel Guard. For this policy, I took out the medical where it is secondary coverage. So I had to file with my primary when I got home and then send the statement of benefits to thier 3rd party company, Mercury Insurance, for the remainder.

I always take out the insurance within the first 10 to 14 days (depends on the company) of putting down a deposit as they waive any pre-conditions that one might have, even if they didn't know they had them.

Anything can happen while traveling, either to you or to family back home. As such, we always take out such insurance. Just one trip to the doctor on board, if there are tests and prescriptions, could pay for the policy. On our last cruise, those charges ran over $400.

Also, if one is a Plus Member of AAA, there is $25,000 of medical evacuation included in that membership. Even though we are members, we still get the general policy that covers everything from one of the companies at: www.insuremytrip.com.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 11th, 2004, 04:50 PM
capecod

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruise Insurance

Also include excursions booked off the ship! We had some trouble with our ship, and they cancelled the last stop. The shore excursion refund was intitially refused...eventually the ship intervened, and we did get the refund.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Judyumcer@aol.com

Wow! Frank, we have AAA Plus but wasn't aware of the $25,000 med evac. Great news!
Thanks! We used Travel Guard in the past. When Rennisiance went uder I put in a claim to them for $8,000. They said that they would only pay after our credit card refunded us. We didn't know if they would but they did the whole amount. Thank you credit cards!!!!!!!!!!

Old August 4th, 2004, 09:57 PM
hvsteve

We just booked Mariner for next June in Alaska. Our insurance is about $650. One of the largest exposures is medical and medical evacuation. Our policy has no pre-existing condition clause if purchased by final payment on the cruise. This is rather unusual and will no longer be available after this year (according to the TA). I checked the website that compares policies and most have either a pre-existing condition clause while others require you to buy the insurance at the time of your deposit for the clause to be waived,meaning you lay out the money as much as 7 or 8 months early.
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Captain

As with everything else, compare prices and coverage. A couple of times we actually found that Radisson had the best deal for us. But one thing is for sure. Travel insurance ---- don't leave home without it.

Thanks,
Richard
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Travel Insurance is not compulsory for everyone in the group , but you'll receive more comprehensive protection if you take a Travel Insurance policy. One of the most importunity aspects of travel insurance is the fact that traveling accompaniment and family members count when it comes to covered reasons for canceling your cruise.

Last edited by Kuki; February 24th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I had lots of problem settling my travel insurance claim.Got solved by hiring claim adjuster.Had anyone else experienced the same?

Last edited by Trip; February 24th, 2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: link
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:12 PM
First Mate

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Hi there!

So - what's the normal cost and procedure for 2 people on Radisson for an 8d/7n cruise insurance policy? Our TA has been rather vague about the subject, which is why we are seeking first-hand info and directions from Cruisemates.

We would appreciate feedback from anyone about who you use for your travel insurance needs? Which policy, cost, how to get it, etc.

(Marc, if you're out there, you have been so helpful to us in the past. Your advice and experience is appreciated and respected. Got another minute for this one?)

Thank you!
Ash
I would get a new travel agent. I have been on 40 plus cruises and everytime the agent has told me exactly what it will cost for insurance prior to booking the cruise. Somethimes it depends on lenght of cruise, sometime age of travellers some time both. But, you usually know beforehand.
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Exclamation Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulross View Post
I would get a new travel agent. I have been on 40 plus cruises and everytime the agent has told me exactly what it will cost for insurance prior to booking the cruise. Somethimes it depends on lenght of cruise, sometime age of travellers some time both. But, you usually know beforehand.

All medical insurance companies will require pre approval for medical services and or reimbursement for pre-approved medical treatment or services.
This requires you contacting your health provider for approval before treatment, unless it is life threatening.
So, get all the contact numbers, e mail addresses and forms required by your health insurer to be completed by any medical provider and/or service including and not limited to Doctors and Emergency transportation etc.
One of the largest cost for an emergency can be an air transport to a hospital or back to the USA.
This is the service that requires special attention.

Second type of coverage for travel is your personal property such as a lap top computer, smart phone or camera. In other words, all electronics are excluded by the majority of the policies sold by the travel industry!
You should contact your home owners insurance carrier or renters insurance company and add a rider to your existing policy, the coverage limits and deductibles vary greatly.

Review your coverage offered by your credit card company.
American Express, Visa and Master Card all have coverage for many purchases for theft, damage or warranty.
Some credit cards will extend the manufactures warranty simply by registering the product upon purchase or at a small fee.
The policies can often be viewed online or you can request a policy by calling customer service.
Some premium credit cards will not have conversion charges or international transaction service fees when using outside USA, always check.

Auto rentals companies offer secondary coverage at a cost, your credit card company also provids limited coverage providing you decline the coverage offered by the auto rental company.
In most cases if your are determined to be drunk or even stoned, the secondary coverage will not pay a claim.
Your primary auto policy may pay for damages if you comply to policy requirements.
Note: Most credit card companies exclude coverage in Countries such as Irland and Jamaica.
Read the fine print and get answers via e mail from your insurer for record.

Last edited by Dannyboy; March 25th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:22 PM
First Mate

Hmmm, I always forget about AAA. I'm a Platinum member, I really do need to go digging deeper into my membership benefits. But I am also a USAA member, so I get phenomenal rates through TravelInsured Inc. All in all, I just know that when I travel, I'm covered for most things. Driving to ports like I do living in FL, I don't really consider too much the various interruption coverage from travel insurance, because that's covered with AAA since I am driving, but I always evaluate other needs on a trip by trip basis.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.