Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Lorac

Default Radisson vs. Celebrity or RCCL

Does anyone know how Radisson compares to Royal Carribbean or Celebrity? I was very impressed by RCCL and Celebrity but am looking for a change. Looking for good service, food and entertainment. My husband and I are in our mid thirties.
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Thulewx

Default Re: Radisson vs. Celebrity or RCCL

Radisson is a definite cut above the others. Superb food at any venue on board, exceptional service everywhere, fewer passengers, smaller ships. One of the few areas where they may suffer in comparison would be entertainment. Since they're smaller, they don't spend the money on the big extravaganzas. Their typical passenger is also probably a bit older than the others.
For the best cruise on earth (as rated by numerous travel magazines for several years), do the Radisson Paul Gauguin around Tahiti.
Also, Radisoon average cabins are bigger, and on two ships, they're all-balcony.
Yes, they're more expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for...
Old July 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Radisson vs. Celebrity or RCCL

Actually, Radisson doesn't seem to be all balcony as they show the Navigator as being 90%, but that's close. I'm looking at this ship for their LA-Tahiti round trip in November of 2005. I understand this is a class outfit but all of my experiences to date have been on Crystal, Celebrity and Princess.

I have a couple of concerns. We usually like the larger ships, such as in the 2000 passenger range since the public amenities are so much nicer and they seem to ride the sea better. The smallest ship we've taken was the new Pacific Princess, which was a previous Renaissance ship. It held about 600 passengers and was "cozy" but lacked amenities except for a nice library, something we don't use a lot. And you could feel the wave action. We'd be exposed to a lot of sea between the US mainland and Hawaii and between Hawaii and Tahiti. We love the sea days but not if we're going to be jostled about too much. I don't get seasick and my wife hasn't on any of the larger ships.

That being said, might we be disappointed with the amenties on Radisson? How does it ride the sea? I'd hate to plunk down the extra $ this line charges and not be happy. Also, is there any better pricing than the 2:1 they show at their web site? The least expensive balcony cabin for this 24 or 26 day cruise prices out about $15,000 for the two of us. That's about $300/day/person and a lot more than we even paid for Crystal.

Comments anyone?
Frank-in-CA
Old July 4th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Frank, besides the rerouted China trips last year, when have you ever had a 301 sq ft suite plus balcony on Crystal for $300 per diem?

I just got off the Navigator. Only two restaurants and four bars. Only three venues for nighttime entertainment. Well stocked library with around 500 videos that you can see for free. Computers at reasonable price.

Navigator does have a noticeable vibration near the stern. I think the best cabins are Cat F, Deck 6 balconies. Convenient to everything.

I prefer the Mariner and Voyager with 700 pax and choice of four restaurants. Cabins on Voyager are identical to Navigator; Mariner a little smaller with no separate shower.

Also remember tips, wine (and other drinks) free with dinner, and all soft drinks inlcuded (I know crystal finally added the latter). No fixed seating time or table is a must for us; that is why we haven't tried Crystal.

Hope this helps,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the additional comments. The Navigator sounds interesting, however, the item you like that we don't is the none fixed seating. We like that better as we meet and get to know people better that way and the wait staff remembers your likes and dislikes as they serve you for the entire voyage.

I really like the LA-Tahiti itinerary as we can avoid the flight hassle and expense. I'm glad the stabilizers work OK but am concerned about the vibration. We had horrible vibration on the Star Princess in the dining room whenever they left port in the evening. I'd not want that again.

I like the fact that a lot is included in the price, such as gratuities and soft drinks. My wife doesn't drink and I rarely imbibe other than a Bailey's but I think that is what real cruising is about rather than being nickel and dimed as they do on most lines.

I'm still wondering if there are any better prices than the one's posted on their web site?
Frank-in-CA
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Any decent ta will get you 5% off. A Virtuoso TA will throw in shipboard credit and a shore excursion. If you use the real ames plat (or centurion), you get additional $300 shipboard credit. The two for one is cheapest radisson goes except for ocassional one or two class upgrades. Free air might be thrown in too.

We had same waiter every night (except when we had room service and ate at Hotel Director's table). Gerry was great. No problem even with open seating. On past cruises we have asked to be placed at a larger table and Maitre' D has matched up with others that are still great cruise friends.

I know a couple of couples that did the rt tahiti on Mariner last oct. They loved it. For me, 26 days is longer than I can get away.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:44 PM
First Mate

Thanks again. I wanted to make sure I was in the ball park when I got responses from TAs and not to expect too much off those posted 2:1 prices.

We like long cruises but anything over 3 weeks sort of stretches it. But it sure avoids those long flights to and from Papeete.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on RCCL thrice, Celebrity 12 times, and RSSC four times. While I enjoy Celebrity (especially the Century), RSSC is clearly better in most respects. The luxuries included and level of service are superior. I also prefer the smaller ships.
The RCCS Voyager is among the best ships afloat, and I have seen many in over 30 cruises. The shows are not as large on RSSC, but the quality of entertainment (including lecturers) is second to none. The cabins are beautiful. There are fewer onboard activities, but RSSC customers are usually well travelled and self-entertaining.
If cost is a major factor take Celebrity, but if you plan to pay for a suite, go RSSC.
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM
yodooo2

It is really hard to make any comparison. RSSC is much, much more upscale. All the cabins are suites, they have open seating for dining etc. They are also more expensive. They are porbably one of the nicest out there. Been on a couple and LOVED them. If you want any other info, please let me know. We booked ours thru a site called Luxury Net Cruises. Gave us a net rate, meaning no commissions and a number of discounts. They have service charge but it was still way cheaper. Have fun!