Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2004, 05:42 PM
Beginner

Default alaska in 2 weeks

We will be leaving for the Radisson Mariner Alaska cruise in 2 weeks--any last minute suggestions--helpful advice from someone who has just been?--we tried to sign up in advance for the excursions--hope we are successful--the people at the Radisso n seem most helpful--we have never sailed with Radisson before and are excited to see how they compare with Silverseas and Seabourn. Any suggestions??

Jan
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Ginny

Default Re: alaska in 2 weeks

Have a fantastic time! We just took the Radisson Mariner from Seward to Vancouver on June 16th. We had a great time! I never cruised on any other line, but may want to try Silversea and Seaborne sometime in the future. For now, Radisson fits our style and pocketbook.

We thought everything was first rate. If you have specific questions about dress or food or excursions, please ask.

Ginny
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:05 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: alaska in 2 weeks

We will be going the same route--leaving next Tues--how was the weather--and what clothes did you bring--how about dressing for dinner--skirts--??how dressy if at all--and did you like the excusions and were they sold out or were they able to accomodate everyone--this will be our first time on the Radisson--we are looking forward to it--but always I have those pretrip worries--thanks in advance. jan
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:07 PM
Ginny

Default Re: alaska in 2 weeks

Jan,

When we went, the skies were blue and the temps were very warm. The ports along the Inside Passage were in the 80's! So make sure you bring several short sleeve tops and maybe a pair of shorts. Also take long sleeve layers along for the day at Hubbard Glacier. It was very cold as we approached the Glacier. We wore wind pants with silk long underwear, cotton long sleeve tops with long sleeve fleece tops over that. Plus our wind/rain jackets. Also wore gloves and a headband to cover my ears. It was very windy and cold. Make sure you have a hooded jacket in case you run into rain.

Once we got to the Glacier and stopped for viewing, it was a little warmer, but we still needed long sleeves and slacks. Also take sun screen and binoculars.

For dinner, it was nice country club casual everynight except the second night was CCC with a jacket for the men. I wore nice pants outfits and knee length skirts with nice tops for dinners Jim wore a blazer with a nice shirt and nice pants most nights. He didn't wear his jacket everynight, but maybe most nights. We were surprised at how many guys wore their jackets and ties to dinner. But it is certainly not required.

If you go to Signatures, for sure wear something nice and men must wear a jacket there. Jim also wore a tie that night. The lamb was awesome.

A few ladies wore sparkly tops with long skirts or pants, but again, it is whatever you feel comfortable in. No need for sparkly stuff. It was generally a mix of skirts and nice pants for the ladies.

We only took 2 Radisson excursions - the Skagway railroad and the tour in Sitka. We faxed our request in as soon as we got our docs and we had no problems with anything being full. We also took the Captain Larry whale watching in Juneau. We had signed up for Island Wings flight for Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. We ended up not stopping there because one of the propeller got wrecked with a log and we had to go at half speed after Juneau. Boo hoo.

Loved the railroad in Skagway. The tour in Sitka was nice but not great. Captain Larry was fun but a little scary as far as getting back to the ship on time. But it was not a problem.

We heard that the Tracey Arm excursion was fantastic and I wish we would have taken it. I would recommend it according to what I heard.

We loved Alaska and the cruise. The service and food was to die for. Everything was handled wonderfully. The entertainment was great. Can't say enough good things about it.

Have an excellent time. Please ask more questions - I love helping out.

Ginny