Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Default Paul Gauguin

We will be going to the Paul Gauguin in Frebruary. Both my husband and I are cert. divers and plan on scuba diving from the ship. Since we will be coming from the Toronto area we do not want to bring our own gear. My husband is a big man..so we were wondering if there was variety of sizes on the ship..and where do I write to get this information. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM
thulewx

Default Re: Paul Gauguin

Call Radisson Cruises home site and ask - I'm sure if they don't have the info, they'll get it.
I was on it in June and there was one VERY large man taking the course - it all seemed to fit him - no one wears wet suits...
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Thanks that great..did you do any diving? How was it? I hear it's amazing.
Old August 30th, 2004, 06:13 PM
thulewx

Sorry - not a diver - snorkling was great, though... and swimming with sharks was reported to be great, too (notice I said "reported" - not by ME ;-)
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:50 PM
Webster

Canadian Cruiser:

Let me see you like to drink beer and dive, not at the same time I presume. My wife and I and at least 1 other couple are on the Feb 12 sailing. Both the guys are divers and have been known to have a beer or two. So hope we are on the same sailing.

In looking at the brochures, it did not appear that there were very many scuba opportunities.
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Yes we are canadian all the way..love beer....love to meet people. We will be there with an other couple who also are certified...just did it up in Tobermory ..10 was the water..can't wait for 29... I'm looking forward to a good time and major relaxation...will be nice to dive without gloves..boots and major weights. Where are you from?
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:11 PM
Passenger

We wil also be on feb 12 cruise...
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Pierre Lefeaux

I'm a former Canadian national, now living in the USA. My wife and my 2 brothers and their wives will be on the cruise and look forward to meeting old Canadian nationals.

I hope you are not anti-American, like so many Canadians, as my brothers both were wrestling champions here in the states, and hate obnoxiuos Canadians who think themselves superior to Americans.

Hope to see you guys diving in the beautiful crisp, clear waters of Bora Bora.

PS - I've done a few dives off Raiatea and highly recommend it too.

Pierre
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Have many friends around the world including americans, vous parlez francais Pierre....nous aussi..
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Passenger

Last February I was on Paul Gaugin.

I did do some of the introductory dives and found there was a variety of sizes that started from XS to XXL. Maybe even bigger. There are not a lot of people who dived, so when I went we all got a lot of attention. The staff are very helpful and the ones I dived with were from France. For the dives, they only had snorkel fins and masks. So that is what I used. They give those out on the first/second day of the cruise.

CD
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Paul Gauguin

This is coming up soon..anybody else on this cruise? If anyone has a list of things to bring ( clothes or others ) I would love it. Can't wait to get away from this snow..I need colour this blue stone cold look does not work for me!
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM
wes

Canadian Cruisr,

Found below is an excellent list posted by Jim B..from another board and a veteran PG cruiser.

We are going for two weeks in early March and have ten dives planned. Six with
the PG, 3 with Bora Bora Dive Center and one with Acquatica on Raiatea.

The PG dive staff will handle all your equipment needs (BC, Mask, Wetsuit, Fins, Tanks)

Although, they provide everything, am taking my mask, fins, wetsuit.

List Follows:

1)You are probably about packed but I thought I would send you this little helpful packing list.
Take a cheap air matress. Great to use on Tahaa but if you do the beach in Bora Bora it really comes in handy. Just leave it when you are finished.
2)12 ft extention cord if you want to use the hair dryer in the bathroom and not at the dressing table by the bed.
3)some extra hangers
4)No coat and ties!!
5)Here is what I would take if I ever get the opprotunity to go back to FP
2 pair shorts. (khaki & navy or black)
2 pair slacks (khaki & navy or black)Docker style or dress slacks. Either one ok.
3 swim trunks
4 T-shirts (one to wear snorkling)
4 polo /short sleeved sport shirts
1 pair reef shoes
1 pair sandels
1 pair dress shoes
I would pack all the shoes and heavy things in a 16 inch satchell that hooks over a 25 inch suitcase handle. I would take an additional 16 inch satchell which I would use as a carry on.
This way you will not have to worry about the 50 pound per bag limit,(2 bags per person), and when tugging them around the airport you are only pulling one bag with one over your shoulder.
Ladies make adjustments to this list. Sun dresses work fine. Make sure you take a shawl. Perfect for going to dinner.
Don't be afraid to wear something more than once.
You will see that the people who do a lot of traveling do this.
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Paul Gauguin

Thanks, one of the dives I did book with them is the night dive..which is new to me..has anybody done this before? Sounds kind of scary but everyone is encouraging me do it.
If you know anything about this I would love any info. Also I will be staying at the Sheridon the night before...how much is a cab ( in p.f.) to get to the port? Everyone has been so great here and I love this website!
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:17 AM
wes

Default Re: Re: Re: Paul Gauguin

CC, Your welcome...re: the night dive..I have not done it, the Bora Bora Diving Center
sponsors it...I prefer to do night diving for food and wine on the PG tho...fyi..found
below is the best review (with dive focus) I have found on the PG...Ken, the author
went in September..his photographs are spectacular too..r/wes

http://www.brownandkeenetravel.com/R...kaElquailo.htm
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Passenger

sound like they had a great time. An other winter storm here in T.O. Coconut milk and rum punch is sounding really good by now. My next month is really busy..France then Tahiti then Switzerland... I will try to come back and tell you about our trip. Thanks in advance for all your help ...bon voyage et à bientôt!