Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Rob Wood

Default Solo on Marnier

I am considering the 93 day voyage departing Vancouver BC 9/07/05.
I have never sailed on RSSC before. On some ships solo passengers
are treated like they have a terrible disease. I have also heard the balcony
partions do not extend completely to to the rail

Any comments would be appreciated

Rob
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Solo on Marnier

Rob:

First, if you do sail the Circle Pacific, I will see you on the leg from Hong Kong to Singapore.

Singles are treated royally on Radisson. You will always have get togethers pre-dinner. Dance hosts (which I am sure you don't care about) will also be there to socialize with single guests. You can always find a dinner partner or group whether pax, staff, officers, or entertainers.

The balconies are not totally private. There is an inch or so gap right along the wall; then they don't extend all the way to the rail. You can see into your neighbor's balcony if you make an effort.

Mariner was my first Radisson ship; we sailed her for 19 nights. Since then I have sailed five more times on Radisson. Still, although cabins are nicer on Voyager (and Navigator), Mariner is still my favorite ship.

Please ask all the questions you want,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Beginner

I'm travelling solo on a long Radisson trip also---the 26 night round trip to Tahiti from L.A. I had the same question, which I posted on another board and a couple of people posted back to say that Radisson is wonderful for people travelling alone---there's a first night get-together for "people travelling independently" (i.e. not just "singles," but simply any passenger travelling alone. I also hear that the maitre'd will take care of you at dinner, sitting you at compatible tables. Also, the the size of the ships (# of pax) is small, so there's a kind of intimate atmosphere in which it's much easier to socialize than on a larger, more "anonymous" ship.......check out the other Radisson message board sites----you may find others who are going on your trip whom you can get to know through the boards. Hope this helps. Liz
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Admiral

I've traveled twice solo on Radisson Mariner and I never felt alone or lonely. It's a small ship and passengers gather in the main lounge to chat and attend activities and here you make new friends. I've been invited to join other couples and groups for dinner most evenings, passengers I met in the lounge.

Just be friendly and go up to others. You'll find some fascinating folks aboard, I'm sure.

Yes, there's about an inch of space between the balcony partition and the wall. It didn't bother me and enabled me to meet my neighbors!

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:11 PM
A J Theodore

In answer to your direct question, you will not be treated like you have a "terrible disease."

But, please be aware this is a very long cruise and, given the dynamics of the cruise industry, this will be treated as the equiavent of a world cruise by both passengers and crew. The general profile of the passengers will be significantly older than on shorter cruises; full cruise passengers will likely be 70 plus. There will likely be a relative large number of women travelling alone, hence the gentlemen host program for dances, bingo, etc. Very few men travel alone on a trip like this. Activcities and entertainment will be designed for this passenger profile.

Radisson likely will host a cocktail party (or several) for passengers travelling alone. If there is a good cruise director on board, he/she may make efforts to provide similar opportunities for solo travellers to meet. Otherwise, you are pretty much on your own and how much you interact with others will be up to you. As Ms. Campbell suggests, there are opportunities to meet other passengers in the main lounge. You should make your dining preferences known to the maitre d' so he can seat you appropriately.

Finally, a world cruise may not be the best way to try a cruise line for the first time. May I suggest that whether it is Radisson or some other line, you should try out a shorter cruise first to see whether the cruise line is one you are comfortable withand that provides the experience you want. Nothing worse than 90 plus days on a ship that is not right for you.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Solo on Marnier

Hi Marc. Thanks for your reply. I sailed solo several times on Sea Goddess
and felt terribly out of place. You appear to be VERY knowledgeable on RSSC.
I have pass to check out the Mariner on 22 May when she is in SF. For me
the 93 interary is PERFECT!

Rob
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
kellie james

I've sailed on the Voyager for a 12 day cruise, as a solo, and never felt so out of place anywhere in my life. My fellow passengers weren't nearly as friendly as they have been on Seabourn, Silversea or Crystal. As a single, I don't like having to dine alone or have the head waiter find a table for me to join. At least on Seabourn, singles get an invitation to dinner every night from either an officer, cruise director or a member of the entertainment staff. I've done more than 20 solo cruises on all the luxury lines and I felt that Radisson, by far, was the least friendly to singles.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Tom Schaefer

My experience is just the oposite of Kellie.
I have completed 59 voyages and I find Radisson the best for me as a single...Seabourn was the worst...the passengers were all very wealthy on the Seabourn line...opening questions were what kind of company do you own...what, you work for a living.......
That 12 day cruise on the Seabourn Sun was horrible...if it wasn't for the Australians...I would have left the ship.
I'll take Radisson...doing my 4th cruise with them in December and cant wait...even the Alaska cruise was great...they treated me like royalty.
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Passenger

Rob,
My wife and I are on the Aukland to LA leg of hte trip you're considering. Please feel free to join us fo dinner whenever you like.
Greg and Gretchen Lamberth