Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
randyC

Default Mariner may

We are booked on the Mariner thru Panama canal on May 6th. Would like to hear from anyone else that may be on the same cruise or anyone who may have taken the same cruise and give us some helpful tips
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mariner may

I've sailed on Mariner and transited the Canal, but not at the same time. My advice is to get up early and grab a chair in the air conditioned observation lounge. On deck it is hot and muggy, not conducive to standing out long.

Mariner is a terrific ship and I'm sure you'll love her!

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old March 18th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mariner may

I made the same trip on Seven Seas Voyager. Radisson goes through the Canal differently than other lines. You will go through Gatun locks very early. Get up before dawn and watch from Deck 12. Then, head to La Verandah, take one of the tables on the stern and have breakfast while finishing transit of Gatun Locks. You will then stop at Gatun Yacht club. There they put on some entertainment and have a nice bbq. One thing that is neat to do there is to actually swim in the Canal. If you are interested, they do have other excursions. At 1600, they will again start the transit of the Canal including the other two sets of locks. It is kind of neat going through the Miraflores Locks after dark.

One other must do is the Canopy Tour in Puntarenas. You go down a series of 11 zip lines. Lots of fun.

I went snorkeling in Cabo but did not go ashore the rest of the trip.
________
Seven Seas Mariner is a fantastic ship. We sailed her for 19 days and could have stayed on forever. I don't know your ages, interest, or cruising desires so it is hard for me to anticipate what more you want to know. Let me know any specific questions you might have.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
Randyc

Default Re: Re: Mariner may

Thanks for all the good advice. I am 47 and my wife is 45 and we are looking forward to both swiming in the canal and the Canopy tours. Not sure we will do the zip lines or just the walk across the bridge. We have been on the PG in Tahiti and love RSSC so we are looking forward to the Mariner